British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mdmc82

Peterborough V Coventry Challenge 19th Match 12pm

Supporters remember titles not what the costs were involved .

Do supporters also remember when promoters go bust and are left panicking over whether they will have a club to support the following season?

Or maybe supporters remember when their wealthy owners get fed up playing with their toy and decide to walk away?

Edited by jchapman
  • Like 2

Why don't you start knocking other clubs for parking charges. £1 seems reasonable to me compared to what others charge . As an example Edinburgh charge £2 there not alone in charging over £1 there are others. Peterborough has a proper hard standing car park not all others are up to this standard including your once beloved Kings Lynn.

It's free to park at Rye House, but it'll cost you a new tyre, or worst case scenario new suspension

• Like 2

Do supporters also remember when promoters go bust and are left panicking over whether they will have a club to support the following season?

Or maybe supporters remember when their wealthy owners get fed up playing with their toy and decide to walk away?

We remember wealthy owners who did their best, put their money where their mouth is and put on a decent show despite the BSPA doing it's best to leave us without a club to support. Those wealthy owners' riders stopped many a promoter's panic I seem to recall. Your last line helps to explain up why speedway is where it is these days.

Edited by Crump99
  • Like 1

I can remember getting shafted by clubs during the winter of discontent when one of our neighbours took their 10 pieces of silver.

On the subject of promoters going bust, it never ceases to amaze me that we always seem to have a steady stream of both the rich and not so rich new owners who are all willing to attempt and give it a go thinking they can turn it around with Plymouth, Leicester and Belle Vue the obvious ones over this winter. As for promoters getting fed up playing with their toys and walking away I rather suspect the real concern is supporters walking away.

• Like 1

I can remember getting shafted by clubs during the winter of discontent when one of our neighbours took their 10 pieces of silver.

Seeing that i was a central part of the negotiation my memory is certainly more accurate and vivid. It certainly wasn't 10 pieces of silver, just a guarantee that we could loan riders for three years and not forced to buy them. No other special treatment. However i can imagine it would be easy to blame the stars for what was a massive miserror of judgment by others.

Don't get me wrong, massive problems have always been prominent in the sport and it needs sorting. But i believe it was unfortunate that the wrong moves were made that winter to fix them

I agree on your other comments.

for what was a massive miserror of judgment by others.

Which was and by whom?

Which was and by whom?

Nice attempt at fishing but not leaving myself open for libel.

it never ceases to amaze me that we always seem to have a steady stream of both the rich and not so rich new owners who are all willing to attempt and give it a go

I'd agree with that.

More amazing in the supremo's case as he allegedly paid 200k up front without a great CV to suggest that that was the wisest investment :D

You threw the bait, I just took a bite to see what happens? Nothing much so I'm with BCD, as are many Panthers fans :shock:

You'll have to unlike that now (or I could say: edit - jc only likes the supremo post :D ) - nope, scared him off ;)

Guess I'll have to wait for the Rick Frost autobiography: boats, trains and the impossible job!

Edited by Crump99

That is a revealing post in itself. Recounting events can hardly constitute a libel, so this seems to imply that any version of events that you might recount would impune the motives of one or more participants in the events.

As to errors of judgement there are probably three principal candidates:

1) the decision to change the rules in a way that disadvantaged Coventry

2) expelling Coventry and Peterborough from the league when they walked out of the AGM

3) the decision to fight Coventry and Peterborough once they threatened legal action

• Like 3

Seeing that i was a central part of the negotiation my memory is certainly more accurate and vivid. It certainly wasn't 10 pieces of silver, just a guarantee that we could loan riders for three years and not forced to buy them. No other special treatment. However i can imagine it would be easy to blame the stars for what was a massive miserror of judgment by others.

You are being very economical with the truth Jonathan, I recall a lot if what went on around that time and Peterborough and Coventry were well and truly shafted and not just money wise as you well know

• Like 2

You are being very economical with the truth Jonathan, I recall a lot if what went on around that time and Peterborough and Coventry were well and truly shafted and not just money wise as you well know

as Chris Tarrant said "This is what they want", - but I think that just ended the conversation: not that there ever was one.

Don't get me wrong, massive problems have always been prominent in the sport and it needs sorting. But i believe it was unfortunate that the wrong moves were made that winter to fix them

I agree on your other comments.

Well I have no complaints about what Rick Frost tried to achieve at Peterborough and who could blame him for eventually pulling out of promoting the way he was treated by the BSPA mafia . Peterborough and Coventry wanted rule changes for the good of speedway equality for all teams instead they were treated like convicts on the run and the speedway star backed every word they said without having a view of there own in short no backbone a spineless magazine looking through ivory spectacles , I even wrote to them and asked them to publish a view of how they saw the situation and got absolutely no reaction , hence I have never bought a copy since. As for Kings Lynn and Birmingham promotions they really should have known better and stood by there fellow promoters and done the gentlemanly thing instead they got greedy and went for the 30 pieces of silver on offer from sky and in doing so almost put 2 clubs out of business.

• Like 1

Well I have no complaints about what Rick Frost tried to achieve at Peterborough and who could blame him for eventually pulling out of promoting the way he was treated by the BSPA mafia . Peterborough and Coventry wanted rule changes for the good of speedway equality for all teams instead they were treated like convicts on the run and the speedway star backed every word they said without having a view of there own in short no backbone a spineless magazine looking through ivory spectacles , I even wrote to them and asked them to publish a view of how they saw the situation and got absolutely no reaction , hence I have never bought a copy since. As for Kings Lynn and Birmingham promotions they really should have known better and stood by there fellow promoters and done the gentlemanly thing instead they got greedy and went for the 30 pieces of silver on offer from sky and in doing so almost put 2 clubs out of business.

I think it did effectively finish one club.It's just been a very slow death.

• Like 2