British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
WalterPlinge

The Globetrotter Bees – Would It Have Worked?

The late withdrawal of Coventry from the Premiership obviously has caused hardship to many, not least the Coventry riders and fans.

So I was thinking was there anyway we could have kept the Coventry team in the league? Clearly Leicester couldnt accommodate the Coventry fixtures on top of their own, but could we widen this out a bit more?

My suggestion would be a nomadic team travelling the country for the 2017 season. A sort of Harlem Globetrotters for Speedway.

The Coventry team would stay together and take their place in the Premiership just as The Bees. They would visit each of the other 8 Premiership teams twice as normal for the 16 away fixtures, but their home fixtures would be staged one each at each of the 10 Championship tracks and the 6 best National League tracks, Birmingham, Eastbourne, Lakeside, Mildenhall, Kent and Plymouth.

Anyone presenting ID at the turnstiles with a Coventry address would be allowed in free of charge, but it would give each of the lower league tracks a chance to stage one Premiership meeting to see how their crowd would react to top-flight racing.

Im not sure how, for example, Glasgow fans would fancy watching The Bees v Belle Vue, or Plymouth fans watching The Bees v Poole, but some tracks are putting on challenge matches against the proposed Coventry side, so maybe it could work?

• Like 1

Anyone presenting ID at the turnstiles with a Coventry address would be allowed in free of charge.......

OY! You were doing okay until that bit. :D I've supported the Bees for over 30 years but I live in Leicester and there are many others who don't actually have a Coventry address.

Who is going to pay the riders wages? Certainly not the home club.

• Like 1

I like the idea, but making it pay as Steve suggests, is the hurdle (as with everything).

Going all over the country just wouldn't be viable, but perhaps rotating around the midlands, using maybe Birmingham, Stoke, Peterborough, Wolverhampton just might have been. Entry fees would have to apply too, no freebies.

Even then, track availability could be another hurdle....

Would make the sport look even more Mickey Mouse than it is. Awful idea.

Its a good idea (on paper) trouble it just wouldn't work.

It wouldn't work, simple as that..