British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Time For Brits First. No More Aussies To Uk Speedway.

To an extent i would agree with Steve.Stop being a stepping stone and training ground for foreign riders and prioritise our own.If it means Aussies getting shut out or having to try another country so be it.It would hopefully push them down the world ratings and push us up.All for that.The trouble i do see is that some of our riders might also turn their back on our league if they get an offer from Poland

The issue surely is not to stop them coming over in the first place but simply have the cojones to make them sign a watertight contract with the backing of the FIM.

Seems fair.

If Poland can get away with ridiculous contracts then why can't we?

Any new Aussies coming to Britain must sign a contract committing them to the UK first for say 8 years?

We are still the best breeding ground outside of Poland.

• Like 1

if you read my post i said AFTER brexit

And clearly you didn't read my post. That could take up to 3 years.. ;)

You must be a troll I don't think anyone can be that thick...

Also how many seasons have any of the aussies missed, only Crump surely?

Of course they wanna race for the money on offer in Poland and of course it pees me off that the Poles are blackmailing the riders, I'm gonna be making another weeny protest and will not be going to Poland or watching any streaming ....

When Poland as a country changes and the people have other pursuits than Speedway things will change again

I have loved watching riders like Holder, Ward, Adams,Crump, etc, learn their trade and strut their stuff in the EL. They all bought something to the sport.

But the situation is now changing. With Poland sticking two fingers up to the rest of the leagues out there, it's time to pull the drawbridge up and cut off Aussies from entering the British leagues on their way through to Poland.

British riders for British clubs from now on IMO. Let the ones that are already here remain, if they prove to be good enough. But no more young Aussies should find themselves in a team berth to the detriment of a British rider.

Last night at the Poole fans forum Brady Kurtz stated he was determined by next year to have a Polish league berth. Plus Sweden is my guess. So he is using Britain as a stepping stone to get to the top, where he will more than likely quit Britain or be forced to by the Poles. Why should Britain nurture Aussies to the detriment of British riders? I can't blame the rider but where is the benefit to British clubs? Once a rider has learnt his trade he is out of here.

How many Aussie riders have the Polish clubs brought over and trained up? A big fat ZERO.

So why should we now bother? It just makes no sense. You could see Matt Ford was far from happy in the comments Brady Kurtz was making. Well worth watching the periscope footage if you haven't yet.

Neil Vatcher stated last night there were some young British lads currently coming through with real ability. Lets use them! We don't need to bring Aussies over.

If Aussies want to come over they will have to use Polish clubs instead. And we know that isn't going to happen.

Time to stop worrying about the Aussies and look after our own. In 2 or 3 years time we could have a whole load of good Brits filling our sides. Time for it to happen.

You do raise some good points there Steve but can you honestly say you'd be saying the same thing if Darcy was still riding?.

• Like 1

my question was after brexit you said up to three years totally different

Depends what you want from your weekly speedway fix. To see some of the best young Aussie talent (albeit until they pack their rucksacks and head over to Poland), or a team made up of Brits and lower rate Danes/Swedes.

Speedway is an entertainment business. You want the best riders possible over here. There may be one or two Brits who will make the grade, but many will never be above Championship reserve class.

"Team GB" is a bit of a nonsense. An excuse to get the Union flags out for a week or so during the World Cup. The rest of the time we're cheering on our own sides made up mostly of foreigners.

• Like 5

Out of curiosity, how many Aussies have Poole brought on and nurtured? Thyey have signed up any Aussies that have started out in the PL when they have got good enough. So the PL has for years been used as a stepping stone for Poole yet now Poland want to use Poole as a stepping stone it's bad. It's how it works. Learn to ride in Aus, hone skills in the PL, move into the EL where they become the real deal before moving to Poland. Yet it's funny how its only just because an issue because it effects Poole :rofl:

Who paid for several of the young Aussies when they first came over to ride in the PL - Poole!! Matt Ford and before him Mervyn Stewkesbury - and no doubt some other British Promoters.

Nobody is blaming the riders for seeking the money while its there and its extremely unlikely to affect any Premiership fixtures because there aren't any on Poland's nominated race day - Sunday. Its the priority for rearranged meetings that is causing the issue. Why should a British club lose a rider that they have financed just on the off chance of that rider getting an occasional meeting in Poland, but having to be there anyway - especially when the Poles already have a squad system!?

• Like 1

He was getting his visa!! No joke - that's what was said!!

• Like 1

I think the whole crux of the matter is that the FIM aren't strong enough to be the all powering governing body. Tell me another sport that would allow Poland to dictate these demands?? No !!!

The solution needs to come from the top...... The situation will continue until FIM get involved God know when that will be.....

• Like 1

The Poles are certainly becoming a tad cocky, it's very brazen of them and the FIM should really be stepping in. I do understand their argument to an extent though.

However, the solution isn't to force out the Aussies. The solution is to fight fire with fire and that starts with some simple economics.

Such as British speedway getting it's house in order. Better promoting would be a start, wouldn't it? No self interest from the top or back handers, yes that'd help as well, no? Getting our stadiums in order, better prepared racing tracks? I could go on. The list is endless and we've all seen it.

British speedway needs to ask itself why it's in the state it's in. It then needs to action those findings. It needs to make it better. It needs to make it competetive in its market place. It needs to start forward thinking and it needs an independent body running it.

Until those things are addressed, we will remain bottom of the pecking order and whilst Poland maybe cocky f×××s who think they rule the sport internationally, throwing our toys out will not help.

• Like 2