British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Time For Brits First. No More Aussies To Uk Speedway.

Making it a career, shouldn't be an option.

Why?

Some riders just aren't good enough to move up or are at the tail end of their career and happy to stay involved. Nothing wrong in that.

Just like some riders aren't good enough to move up from 2nd division racing to top tier standard.

All riders have varied abilities.

No one should be punished for not being able to or wanting to move up.

• Like 4

Making it a career, shouldn't be an option.

Perhaps they are not ambitious enough.. Many turn up with good equipment, latest covers, multiple helmets in Red, Blue, White and Yellow/Black and fully sign written vans!

This league has morphed into something it was not designed for, career riders at there comfortable level...

This league needs better controls, age, years in speedway, etc... If they don't want to push on, or can't push on any further, then they need to Drop to amateur level, and let some other youngsters in, that perhaps can't get in due to the league being clogged up/bottle necked with these stagnated, reached their potential riders...

• Like 1

NL isn't a career it's an expensive hobby for many or a stepping stone to the higher leagues for the talented few.

Those riders who have dropped down the leagues have experience that is of great value to the youngsters, if they can pass that on and cover some of their costs what is the problem.

Those riders who have reached a level are needed to fill team places, there's hardly enough as it is now, do away with them and there is no league.

Why shouldn't riders turn up with good equipment if they are fortunate enough to be able to afford it, or more likely have grafted their asses off away from Speedway to buy?

Dropping to amateur level is not really an option as the gulf between that and NL middle order rider is huge.

At the end of the day it would be an issue if there were dozens of youngsters capable of riding at that level unable to get team places but unfortunately there aren't.

As for the Aussie riders while there are some who leave Britain behind for the money there are just as many who have been loyal to the British leagues. If you want loyalty from riders then really the system needs changing so they can be offered some in return.

British riders can be bought through by other means such as keeping them clear from the asset system until they have reached a certain average and giving them average reductions for team building purposes.

• Like 3

NL isn't a career it's an expensive hobby for many or a stepping stone to the higher leagues for the talented few.

Those riders who have dropped down the leagues have experience that is of great value to the youngsters, if they can pass that on and cover some of their costs what is the problem.

Those riders who have reached a level are needed to fill team places, there's hardly enough as it is now, do away with them and there is no league.

Why shouldn't riders turn up with good equipment if they are fortunate enough to be able to afford it, or more likely have grafted their asses off away from Speedway to buy?

Dropping to amateur level is not really an option as the gulf between that and NL middle order rider is huge.

At the end of the day it would be an issue if there were dozens of youngsters capable of riding at that level unable to get team places but unfortunately there aren't.

As for the Aussie riders while there are some who leave Britain behind for the money there are just as many who have been loyal to the British leagues. If you want loyalty from riders then really the system needs changing so they can be offered some in return.

British riders can be bought through by other means such as keeping them clear from the asset system until they have reached a certain average and giving them average reductions for team building purposes.

I'm afraid it is not a hobby, it's an official league, the "Winter Series" is a hobby....

Why?

Some riders just aren't good enough to move up or are at the tail end of their career and happy to stay involved. Nothing wrong in that.

Just like some riders aren't good enough to move up from 2nd division racing to top tier standard.

Great point Steve for me having a few old hands like Armstrong, Atkin,Mason really helps to bring some of the young lads on.Don't know what you think from say 2003/4 the Conference/NL has improved alot.
  • Like 1

Why?

If you look at the make-up of some sides, they appear to be doing very little to promote new or up and coming riders. While an experienced hand was always acceptable as a rider-coach, having three, four or five isn't.

• Like 2

Great point Steve for me having a few old hands like Armstrong, Atkin,Mason really helps to bring some of the young lads on.Don't know what you think from say 2003/4 the Conference/NL has improved alot.

I agree, it's a good thing to perhaps have an "old hand" in the team, perhaps riding manager...

His experience can be passed on to the youngsters...

In fact, it ought to be part of the team make-up.. six youngsters and one old hand

• Like 1

Whether we like it or not, The strength of so-called Premiership is a stepping-stone league, in much the same way as the old Division 2 used to be.

Whereas that was a stepping-stone to the more ambitious moving up into division 1, where riders had to ride to be competitive on the World stage, the top league in Britain is now a stepping-stoe to Poland where anyone with ambition has to ride.

If you are going to have a league of the strength it is now at, then that is unavoidable.

Birmingham are they the youngest team to win the Conference since Peterborough ? (Allen,Stead,Howe days.For me if it brings through a few lads that makes the league worthwhile also the product is pretty entertaining.

• Like 1

exactly. It adds to the league having decent standard riders continuing on their speedway career at a less hectic schedule. I think the standard of the league itself is vastly improved and dare I say a much more professionally run thing.

Some clubs coming into the league are adding to its standards also. Having been a part time fan of that standard league for a while I now see a lot more and that's what gives me most pleasure seeing the next generation progress. At Birmingham it was an absolute pleasure to watch the likes of Blackburn, Smith, zack, Hume progressing over the season and those 4 could well be in the world cup squad in 5 years time. Almost as pleasurable as watching my beloved Wolves win the title again.

If you look at the make-up of some sides, they appear to be doing very little to promote new or up and coming riders. While an experienced hand was always acceptable as a rider-coach, having three, four or five isn't.

I'm not sure about that. Team's that have old hands as the dominant force have been few and far between the past couple of seasons. Looking at last year's line ups only Stoke had a more prominent older standard of rider, whilst the likes of Hay in his late twenties is only a recent convert.

Most line ups had a good mixture with the prominence on youth and next generation.

exactly. It adds to the league having decent standard riders continuing on their speedway career at a less hectic schedule. I think the standard of the league itself is vastly improved and dare I say a much more professionally run thing.

Some clubs coming into the league are adding to its standards also. Having been a part time fan of that standard league for a while I now see a lot more and that's what gives me most pleasure seeing the next generation progress. At Birmingham it was an absolute pleasure to watch the likes of Blackburn, Smith, zack, Hume progressing over the season and those 4 could well be in the world cup squad in 5 years time. Almost as pleasurable as watching my beloved Wolves win the title again.

I'm not sure about that. Team's that have old hands as the dominant force have been few and far between the past couple of seasons. Looking at last year's line ups only Stoke had a more prominent older standard of rider, whilst the likes of Hay in his late twenties is only a recent convert.

Most line ups had a good mixture with the prominence on youth and next generation.

What do you predict for those four Brummies you named in the future.?

What do you predict for those four Brummies you named in the future.?

Next generation of top flight heat leaders and world cup riders.

Smith and JPB are exceptional, Hume has improved rapidly.

Zack stalled a bit last year but still think he will do nicely in the future.

Edited by stevebrum

Next generation of top flight heat leaders and world cup riders.

I think Bewley,Jenkins,Hume,JPB,Smith could be the next group to make the Breakthrough i hope so.

I think Bewley,Jenkins,Hume,JPB,Smith could be the next group to make the Breakthrough i hope so.

Bewley is definitely ahead already. And I believe we have a bright future with some great youngsters coming thru.

I was only really using riders yet to prove themselves out the NL. :t:

Problem is in the last few years we've had many a Brit rider who has potential but they dont have the ambition nor the money to fund it. Speedway is not a cheap sport and parents do not have bottomless pits of money..