British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Time For Brits First. No More Aussies To Uk Speedway.

Problem is in the last few years we've had many a Brit rider who has potential but they dont have the ambition nor the money to fund it. Speedway is not a cheap sport and parents do not have bottomless pits of money..

Which makes it all the more galling when you see the foreign riders plastered with British company names.

• Like 4

Which makes it all the more galling when you see the foreign riders plastered with British company names.

Yep so whats the answer. Clearly British companys are not interested in young British riders. Question is, why ?

Probably because promoters "push" potential sponsors in the direction the promoter wants. If a promoter has an investment of any sort in a particular rider then they will want to promote that rider. I suggest a sponsor, in the main, is not to bothered whether a rider is from Britain or another country as long as his product gets promoted well..

• Like 1

Probably because promoters "push" potential sponsors in the direction the promoter wants. If a promoter has an investment of any sort in a particular rider then they will want to promote that rider. I suggest a sponsor, in the main, is not to bothered whether a rider is from Britain or another country as long as his product gets promoted well..

That doesn't answer the question of why British companys don't sponsor british riders. its there money, not any promotions.

Perhaps the British boys don't treat the sponsors how they feel they should be treated, there will be 101 different reasons someone sponsors a certain rider rather than another .....

That doesn't answer the question of why British companys don't sponsor british riders. its there money, not any promotions.

to be honest, I dont know how sponsorship deals are set up, I never got offered sponsorship when I was grass track racing - and if you saw me ride you would understand why :lol:

But could be a promoter approaches local business, the business responds positively, and asks for suggestions of who to sponsor..... chance for a promoter to "push" someone name forward. As long as the sponsor perceives he is getting value for his money maybe they just go along with it.

Of course some sponsors are speedway "savvy" and want to sponsor a certain name.

Didn't a British promotor/sponsor plough a lot of money into the Australian National team last year ?

An aussie rider demanded that the promotor he just signed for get him a van and deliver it to his rented house some 180 miles away, that promoter drove the van to the rider and had to catch a train home with a number of changes and you wonder why British riders get annoyed as they don't get looked after aswel as those from outside the uk.

Perhaps the British boys don't treat the sponsors how they feel they should be treated, there will be 101 different reasons someone sponsors a certain rider rather than another .....

Again I am only speaking about a few British riders I know and basically they have gone out and got sponsors themselves during the winter break, however unless your a big name rider or the promoters pet then your sponsor would have to pay to come and see the rider they sponsor race as that rider would not be allowed anyone in free even if the sponsor had paid several thousand to kit the rider out for that season.

Riders from abroad get flights, rented houses, vans, ect and have always been better looked after than the British rider.

• Like 2

Birmingham are they the youngest team to win the Conference since Peterborough ? (Allen,Stead,Howe days.For me if it brings through a few lads that makes the league worthwhile also the product is pretty entertaining.

Doubt it. Newport '99 had 16 year olds Appleton and a Neath, 17 year olds Nick Simmons and Graig Gough, 20 year old Bobby Eldridge.

Sadly I can't remember the other two but they'd have had to have been well into their 20s and that's unlikely as they would probably have been the reserves.

I'm afraid it is not a hobby, it's an official league, the "Winter Series" is a hobby....

Sorry but league or not if it's costing you money to do something and you do it because you enjoy it then it's a hobby. It's certainly not a living for those who stay in the NL for whatever reason.

The winter series is just a cheaper hobby at a lower level.

There still aren't enough riders of an adequate standard trying to break into the NL to need to worry about those already there.

• Like 1

to be honest, I dont know how sponsorship deals are set up, I never got offered sponsorship when I was grass track racing - and if you saw me ride you would understand why :lol:

But could be a promoter approaches local business, the business responds positively, and asks for suggestions of who to sponsor..... chance for a promoter to "push" someone name forward. As long as the sponsor perceives he is getting value for his money maybe they just go along with it.

Of course some sponsors are speedway "savvy" and want to sponsor a certain name.

At Poole we have some very good loyal sponsors who put money into the club and its riders. But pretty much all riders have to go out like the promotions and find there own sponsorship.

not quite true starman,i agree with ove fan promoters can and do channel sponsors toward certain riders nothing wrong with that,might depend on the promoters investment in that rider,rider potential,future return on investment in that rider or full filling contract obligations. i do know a couple of occasional poole sponsors that were recently invited to matts house to meet brady and have a chat,they actually declined not wishing to commit at the moment.(does illustrate the relentless efffort matt does put in)of course next time they might go for it.

• Like 1

not quite true starman,i agree with ove fan promoters can and do channel sponsors toward certain riders nothing wrong with that,might depend on the promoters investment in that rider,rider potential,future return on investment in that rider or full filling contract obligations. i do know a couple of occasional poole sponsors that were recently invited to matts house to meet brady and have a chat,they actually declined not wishing to commit at the moment.(does illustrate the relentless efffort matt does put in)of course next time they might go for it.

Mate, a lot of sponsors sponsor riders because they enjoy the sport, a lot do not get anything back on there investment, and that is truth. Yes i am well aware of what Matt does at Poole and what he trys to do with the riders, im very aware of all that, and if other promotions put in the same shift they to could get bigger and better sponsorship.. Sponsorship does not grow on tree's you have to put yourself out a look for it. That said, im sure you are aware of that as well.. ;)

Edited by Starman2006

Mate, a lot of sponsors sponsor riders because they enjoy the sport, a lot do not get anything back on there investment, and that is truth. Yes i am well aware of what Matt does at Poole and what he trys to do with the riders, im very aware of all that, and if other promotions put in the same shift they to could get bigger and better sponsorship.. Sponsorship does not grow on tree's you have to put yourself out a look for it. That said, im sure you are aware of that as well.. ;)

It does if you are sponsored by Bulmers !!!

Is it easier to sell a foreign rider, to any company ref sponsorship, based on the foreigner will have a seemingly more glamorous name, and the promoter will base his sale on the unknownness of a foreigner..

Sell Danish Antonio Caskerino

Just seems to have more mystery, adventure, exciting name than

John Smith from Slough!!!

Is it easier to sell a foreign rider, to any company ref sponsorship, based on the foreigner will have a seemingly more glamorous name, and the promoter will base his sale on the unknownness of a foreigner..

Sell Danish Antonio Caskerino

Just seems to have more mystery, adventure, exciting name than

John Smith from Slough!!!

Dammit, I knew I should have christened Adam "Jean Pierre".

• Like 1