British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Time For Brits First. No More Aussies To Uk Speedway.

How many Brits have been lost to the sport due to promotors and team gb managers who prefer Aussies over Brits and our own riders not getting the same support.

Aussie riders have always been better looked after than a lot of British riders and that's wrong.

How many then?

not that many I'd imagine.

Bit rich this thread being started by a Poole fan.

They have a journeyman Dane who is nearly 30 at reserve , how is that good for the young Brits.

Seem to remember them as part of a side rebuild they got rid of Kyle Howarth and replaced him with Mickey Dyer. Where is Dyer now?

Also havent Poole gone with Kurtz and Jack Holder over Adam Ellis?

• Like 9

I find that strange Poole won trophy after trophy with mainly Aussie riders and now ss is saying Brits first .Funny old world

• Like 1

I find that strange Poole won trophy after trophy with mainly Aussie riders and now ss is saying Brits first .Funny old world

Mate your one of the decent ones that support Poole unlike 2 i could mention.

My issue isnt with Poole just the 2 fools.

The UK needs Aussies and Poles and the like to keep it alive.

Im sure Shovlar would rather have had Harris than Holder and Nicholls rather than Ward!

As ive said where is Adam Ellis and Kyle Howarth and the like that have ridden for Poole before? Cast aside for Aussies.

Over the years i have enjoyed watching the Aussies so much i could not imagine watching speedway without them.Poole over the years have benefitted so much from having them Crump,Adams,Boyce,Holder,Ward,Guasco Sullivan as examples.

Edited by Sidney the robin

But if we put Brits first over Aussies in a matter of a few years some of then could have developed into top liners. We complain that there are not enough Brits coming through, so when I suggest that we should axe the Aussies who seem to want to disappear over to Poland and Sweden at the first opportunity, we train our own guys up.

The opening post received many likes, showing I am not the only person who actually thinks this.

Of course we could continue to bring over Aussies, let them train themselves up before vanishing. Or, why not give those berths to Brits, let them learn, and in years to come benefit the British leagues.

Let the Poles bring over the young Aussies and train them up.

Over the years i have enjoyed watching the Aussies so much i could not imagine watching speedway without them.Poole over the years have benefitted so much from having them Crump,Adams,Boyce,Holder,Ward,Guasco Sullivan as examples.

Sure we have. But then Poland wasn't cherry picking and telling them not to ride over here, which will 100% be the case next season when riders can only chose two leagues.

Start now. No more Aussie youngsters next season. Brits instead. Sure standard will drop for a year or two but so what? Brits first, second and third. Aussie youngsters can go straight to Poland.

But if we put Brits first over Aussies in a matter of a few years some of then could have developed into top liners. We complain that there are not enough Brits coming through, so when I suggest that we should axe the Aussies who seem to want to disappear over to Poland and Sweden at the first opportunity, we train our own guys up.

The opening post received many likes, showing I am not the only person who actually thinks this.

Of course we could continue to bring over Aussies, let them train themselves up before vanishing. Or, why not give those berths to Brits, let them learn, and in years to come benefit the British leagues.

Let the Poles bring over the young Aussies and train them up.

Sure we have. But then Poland wasn't cherry picking and telling them not to ride over here, which will 100% be the case next season when riders can only chose two leagues.

Start now. No more Aussie youngsters next season. Brits instead. Sure standard will drop for a year or two but so what? Brits first, second and third. Aussie youngsters can go straight to Poland.

You can't use Aussies and Poles for major success over very recent years and then say all clubs should ditch them all.

Hypocrisy of the highest order.

We should have done more to help the Brits 10 years ago but clubs like Poole were only too happy to use the next sensation on a 4 point average for years and ignore the next generation of Brits.

It's admirable you recognise this now but Poole of all clubs have ignored Brits largely for years.

Newman is probably the only British success (establishing at top flight level) Poole have helped. Howarth was shoved from pillar to post for several years whilst Ellis had been developed by others before he made progress with Poole last year.

Edited by stevebrum

Poole were probably the worst club for not helping to bring Brits along.

Lets not kid ourselves if Kyle Newman had improved his average he wouldnt be kept on.

Holder, Watt, Ward, Tungate, Josh G, North, Dyer. All Aussies that have helped Poole to gain success.

Then Poole would employ riders like THJ, Darkin, Swist, Eriksson, Davidsson, Gafurov, Andersson, Mrockza, all riders who they wanted to use on low averages to help them get the ultimate goal of the title. Also to a lesser extent Milik and Madsen.

The lack of Brits used is low, Ashworth, Howarth, Kennett, Boxall, Ellis, Starke are the ones that come to mind that Poole moved on asap.

I have no issue with teams using foreign riders but Poole are the worst team in helping British youngsters so its a bit strange that a Poole fan started the thread!!

Edited by Gavan

You can't use Aussies and Poles for major success over very recent years and then say all clubs should ditch them all.

Hypocrisy of the highest order.

We should have done more to help the Brits 10 years ago but clubs like Poole were only too happy to use the next sensation on a 4 point average for years and ignore the next generation of Brits.

It's admirable you recognise this now but Poole of all clubs have ignored Brits largely for years.

Newman is probably the only British success (establishing at top flight level) Poole have helped. Howarth was shoved from pillar to post for several years whilst Ellis had been developed by others before he made progress with Poole last year.

Theres no hypocrisy. I don't chose the team. If rules allow Aussies then a team is not going to ignore them otherwise penalise itself to the detriment of putting out a team capable of winning the league.

Remove the Aussie riders and put rules in place that the championship teams must have a minimum of 4 Brits and Premier teams three. Put in place training sessions for Brits to get as much track time as conditions/time allows. Entry for new Aussies is via Poland or Sweden.

Aussies have used the British leagues as their training leagues, never making the slightest effort to get a league structure in place down under. Perhaps if such a rule was to come in, they would. Yes there are issues with distance but even a local league structure could be put in place.

Brits first.

Theres no hypocrisy. I don't chose the team. If rules allow Aussies then a team is not going to ignore them otherwise penalise itself to the detriment of putting out a team capable of winning the league.

Remove the Aussie riders and put rules in place that the championship teams must have a minimum of 4 Brits and Premier teams three. Put in place training sessions for Brits to get as much track time as conditions/time allows. Entry for new Aussies is via Poland or Sweden.

Aussies have used the British leagues as their training leagues, never making the slightest effort to get a league structure in place down under. Perhaps if such a rule was to come in, they would. Yes there are issues with distance but even a local league structure could be put in place.

Brits first.

You are such a windup merchant! Of course there is hypocrisy - whether you pick the team or not (as I pointed out previously). Poole has been a conveyor belt for Aussies over Brits for years and I didn't hear you complaining - but now you are - hmmmm!

• Like 3

Neil street was the king pin at Poole bringing Aussie to rider's and there was some darn good ones over the years.keep them coming i say

• Like 1

Brits first.

Two Brits Two Aussies Two Danes and a Pole

People are clear Shov isn't the Poole Management right? And that he can express views on his desires for the sport that do not reflect Poole's best interests?

Why does Poole's recent success with Aussies (and Poles) mean that Steve can't push a British riders first agenda?

Everything is so black and white!

• Like 1

Surprised nobody has mentioned the likes of Gary Havelock, Steve Schofield, Scott Nicholls and the late Lee Richardson as far as Poole are concerned.

How far do people want to go back? Malcolm Simmons, Michael Lee......................

• Like 1

I'm trying to think of the current crop of Aussies who have forsaken the UK for somewhere else....

As I recall Brady Kurtz riode in Denmark before committing to Somerset so it does work in reverse.

Time to end this thread and get on with the new dawn that is British speedway.