British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Time For Brits First. No More Aussies To Uk Speedway.

In 2018 Poland intend on having riders commit to them an just one other league and wanted to do this for the forthcoming season but then added the words "and your home nation" to the agreement meaning a Danish rider can do Sweden, Poland and Denmark where as a Swede can do Britain rather than Denmark.

The issue now is that they allowed Australian riders to count Britain as their home nation meaning the likes of Doyle, Holder, Fricke, Masters, Watt etc can continue to ride in Britainthis season which is nice of them as they knew full well they needed a year to get over the visa issues if any Australian wants to ride in Poland for 2018.

Doyle and Holder would have had to applied through Sweden or Poland for a work permit and also be based there so the agreement adding your home nation has given the likes of Doyle and Holder a year to get things sorted for 2018. In future any rider that wants to ride here be it from America or Australia can still apply and get a Visa but by doing so must commit to this country and not be under pressure from Poland to be at every press and practice event.

We have Robert Lambert coming through nicely at the moment and next season he could continue to ride here but be assured he is likley to soon be in the same boat and have to choose between Sweden and Britain as would any rider that progresses to a standard where they are ready to take on the world or at least the countries Poland allows them to invade.

Fair enough, however the point still stands that's several over the years have quit racing in the UK and team GB which means there is something not right going on at the top table!

Think it's always been assumed that he could select either, didn't he make a thing of saying he was selecting to race for GB because he could when he first came over?

So your post throws up an interesting point.

I don't know the regulations and criteria for qualifying for dual nationality if anyone does?

If true it would be an embarrassment for those who hold it over Tai and use it like a yard stick to beat him with.

To apply for Aussie nationality you need to be over 16 and have lived there for a certain amount of time.

He doesn't qualify as he was back in the UK at 15.

If his parents applied for citizenship, then they could apply for it for their child at the same time, which would have been a possible route.

I've never seen it written conclusively that he has Aussie citizenship. People just seem to like to think it.

I do remember there being visa problems for the Aussie GP, so my guess is that he doesn't have it - although some people came up with the theory that these might have been for the crew rather than him.

At the end of the day he was born in Britain to British parents, so he is British.

• Like 1

Don't you ever stop? You are happy to have potentially 2 great Aussie youngsters in Brady Kurtz and Jack Holder this year and you are banging a drum about giving team spots to Brits! Do you know how hypocritical that sounds?

I assume you will be in favour in Jack and Brady staying in Aussie next season and giving their team spots to Brits - since they haven't really been here long enough to be considered "established riders". :rolleyes:

If I had picked the team it would be hypocritical. But I didn't. Would I have brought Kurtz back? No. Matt Ford bought young Holder over last year so he was bound to have been in the Poole team this season.

It will take a few more seasons before we really start to see the benefits of Neil Vatchers work with the kids but it is happening. More British youngsters in euro u21's this season, gaining experience.

Time to block the new Aussies out of it and they will have to find a different avenue to progress through the sport.

What a stupid thread !!

Aussies and Anzacs have been in British Speedway since 1928.

Long may they be welcome here in GB.

Chris Holder thinks they don't need England when they first look to go abroad, so I am quite happy for him to prove his point or most likely not!

Personally I think this tread is hypocritical, back in the 50's and 60's even the early 70's i think, team GB consisted of Brits, Aussies and Kiwi's. Obviously when we had enough good Brits to form a full team we didn't use the Aussies and Kiwi's, however they were still welcome to ride in the British league.

I'm not suggesting we use the Aussies to make up a half decent British team, but to ban them from our league is nonsense, plus our youngsters can only get better by riding against, and beating other young nationals.

• Like 1

Personally I think this tread is hypocritical, back in the 50's and 60's even the early 70's i think, team GB consisted of Brits, Aussies and Kiwi's. Obviously when we had enough good Brits to form a full team we didn't use the Aussies and Kiwi's, however they were still welcome to ride in the British league.

I'm not suggesting we use the Aussies to make up a half decent British team, but to ban them from our league is nonsense, plus our youngsters can only get better by riding against, and beating other young nationals.

We had a Aussie riding for team gb

Don't think that I would be happy to be a Australian rider over here to race in both leagues and read all this "Thank you very much but we don't really want you"

• Like 1

Poole fans true colours shining through, sad after all those years!

• Like 1

How Australia riders make it to Poland then less than 50% how team's are we going have with Brits only not many

What?

This topic would be more credible if the reality was that Australian newcomers were flooding the UK and depriving able British youngsters of similar ability of team places.

So how many Australian newcomers have been signed on for 2017? - answer one, namely Josh Pickering at Edinburgh.

IIRC in 2016, there were two rookies from OZ, namely Jake Allen & Jye Etheridge.( Bradley Dean Wilson is a Kiwi, who appeared in the NL in 2015 btw)

Remember that such riders are already restricted by the employment visa criteria, as well as the 5 pt minimum assessed average in place for all new overseas newcomers.

Is not more effective to do as already suggested, that all riders, including British, are contractually obliged to honour their UK scheduled fixtures, the exception being clashes with their own national calendar. If they break this commitment, then they are immediately barred from UK domestic Speedway.

So where is the impending crisis that Shovlar is bleating on about?

Just because a couple of his Poole side (Jack Holder & Brady Kurtz) have signaled their intentions to head to Poland asap, the drawbridge should be shut to all future talent from the Antipodes?

The same scenario applies to Danes, Swedes, Germans, etc. and come Brexit, we can no doubt bar them as well, to be replaced by the flood of super talented British youngsters ready to take their places.

Aye, Right :rolleyes: .

• Like 3

And British riders wouldn't get that riding against continental riders? Why give Aussies a berth that could go to a Brit? Time to put our riders first.

You did not say that about Brexit did you? most of us who voted out just wanted our citizens to come first just like our British riders.
  • Like 2

Let us hope that this message gets through to the Nat League promoters and they give more chances to the youngsters in there teams I have always thought that was the aim of that League to many of the teams are full of riders that have been around for years and will in my mind never make it to a higher league.

• Like 1

Let us hope that this message gets through to the Nat League promoters and they give more chances to the youngsters in there teams I have always thought that was the aim of that League to many of the teams are full of riders that have been around for years and will in my mind never make it to a higher league.

lot's of rider's never seem to move out of the national league they seem to have reached there level in the sport
  • Like 1

lot's of rider's never seem to move out of the national league they seem to have reached there level in the sport

Making it a career, shouldn't be an option.