British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Time For Brits First. No More Aussies To Uk Speedway.

Would a young or older British rider be welcomed in Austrailia and get a home,van,sponsors plus get more rides than most Australians ?

Would many young or older British riders be welcomed in Poland,Sweden,Denmark and get two leagues to race in ?

If the answer is No then why is British speedway helping the careers of riders from countries who look after there own and not our riders in return.

Well...yes they would. or to be precise, if they were good enough they would get similar treatment to the Australians who incidentally back home do not get the same rewards as in Europe (even the UK) because the racing infrastructure is not comparable. In the good old days, many a Brit would winter down there and live comfortably off their earnings etc. But now? well who are the world class Brits we could send there this winter?

Well...yes they would. or to be precise, if they were good enough they would get similar treatment to the Australians who incidentally back home do not get the same rewards as in Europe (even the UK) because the racing infrastructure is not comparable. In the good old days, many a Brit would winter down there and live comfortably off their earnings etc. But now? well who are the world class Brits we could send there this winter?

So All the Austrailian riders that come over here were already world class then ? Lol

Brits Do NOT get the same treatment in Austrailia or any other country as they get here.

Have you spoke to the young Pommy riders that come over here Robert72? Or are you just guessing? I've never seen or met 1 that has complained yet & I know a fair few of them... they mightn't get big money but they love drinking & fishing & not always in that order.

Theres no hypocrisy. I don't chose the team. If rules allow Aussies then a team is not going to ignore them otherwise penalise itself to the detriment of putting out a team capable of winning the league.

Remove the Aussie riders and put rules in place that the championship teams must have a minimum of 4 Brits and Premier teams three. Put in place training sessions for Brits to get as much track time as conditions/time allows. Entry for new Aussies is via Poland or Sweden.

Aussies have used the British leagues as their training leagues, never making the slightest effort to get a league structure in place down under. Perhaps if such a rule was to come in, they would. Yes there are issues with distance but even a local league structure could be put in place.

Brits first.

Brits first is good but ignore the Aussies long association dating back to the birth of the sport?

Still hypocritical.

So All the Austrailian riders that come over here were already world class then ? Lol

Brits Do NOT get the same treatment in Austrailia or any other country as they get here.

No they are not all world class, and neither are they all treated as if they were. Similarly I have not heard of one compliant from Brits who go down under that they feel in some way prejudiced against.

No they are not all world class, and neither are they all treated as if they were. Similarly I have not heard of one compliant from Brits who go down under that they feel in some way prejudiced against.

So are you saying they get a free van on arrival plus a house, workshop and are better looked after than most of the Australians ?

Really though its only the riders from Australia where we have this issue. The USA is dead in the water and all other foreigners have their own leagues to race in. Australia have never had a league system and for decades have used the British leagues for a career. Time for it to end.

I think you will find that is Australian speedway seasons since 1946-47 that at least two unsuccessful attempts have been made to popularise league racing. If more clarification is needed I will check the matter further with my Australian friend Peter White.

So are you saying they get a free van on arrival plus a house, workshop and are better looked after than most of the Australians ?

No. Not all of them. And BTW neither do all Australians get the above in either the UK or back home.

If you knew how contracts work in speedway, which you should as you claim to be an ex rider, then you would know that vans, workshops, mechanics etc are not free when arranged by the club.

If you knew how contracts work in speedway, which you should as you claim to be an ex rider, then you would know that vans, workshops, mechanics etc are not free when arranged by the club.

So they don't get a free van ? the Aussies I knew did, Workshops were arranged for them, mechanics for some of them,the Aussies have always been well looked after here but I can't say that about the British riders in their own country.

So they don't get a free van ? the Aussies I knew did, Workshops were arranged for them, mechanics for some of them,the Aussies have always been well looked after here but I can't say that about the British riders in their own country.

Usually if a rider wants his club to provide extras such as vans then it reduces the signing on fee and points money.

Well my brother in law was an Australian rider...he came over with no sponsors..no club..nowhere to stay...he got some rides and got a team....in his years here he never once had a sponsored van or a bike from the club..or any sponsorship direct from the club...he maintained his bikes in my garage..

As he was a bit more established he could have had a van from the club..an older one..but it would be a van and less points money..or no van and more points money...so I think it's not right to say all Aussies have everything handed on a plate for them...most have to earn what they get...

• Like 1

I think it depends on how good or how much potential a club reckons a new Aussie rider is/has?!

If he is reckoned to be able to take the top British league by storm then he is more likely to attract a big deal/contract, including having the flight over, van, workshop, etc paid for by the British club.

Obviously not all Aussies are going to be the 'dogs' - some will be the journeymen of the British leagues and there is nothing wrong with that as they mostly do their best to entertain.

Edited by Skidder1