British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Time For Brits First. No More Aussies To Uk Speedway.

I think your anger is being misplaced here, If the BSPA had actually promoted the sport, stopped tinkering with the rules and not blown the millions (yes millions) that SKY TV had put into speedway, we wouldn't be in this position as stadiums would be full and there'd be a lot more money so that riders wouldn't have to go abroad.

As for Brits ??? I can only speak from personal experience, you improve one year beyond what anyone predicted and you end up nearly unemployable the following year. It's a numbers game with all the promotors looking after No 1 and no one looking out for the good of the sport.

If you go as far as you can in the UK, (whether you're British or Aussie) and want to take the next step then unfortunately abroad is the only option.

• Like 5

I think your anger is being misplaced here, If the BSPA had actually promoted the sport, stopped tinkering with the rules and not blown the millions (yes millions) that SKY TV had put into speedway, we wouldn't be in this position as stadiums would be full and there'd be a lot more money so that riders wouldn't have to go abroad.

As for Brits ??? I can only speak from personal experience, you improve one year beyond what anyone predicted and you end up nearly unemployable the following year. It's a numbers game with all the promotors looking after No 1 and no one looking out for the good of the sport.

If you go as far as you can in the UK, (whether you're British or Aussie) and want to take the next step then unfortunately abroad is the only option.

is it the only sport where success end's up a failure as for Australian we need them to keep British speedway going

I don't blame the riders', being a speedway career is a short life and you need to maximise your earning potential.

Edited by Jeremy Corbyn Fan

Maybe before any non GB passport holders can be offered a team spot all GB passport holders should

If a GB passport holder turns down a spot a form is filled in with reasons why etc that form is also put into the public arena

Also have a bit of flexibility on averages

EG foreign rider on a 7pt puts you dead on the limit but you can have a GB rider on 7.5 which puts you over the limit slightly but the other promoters agree to the move as it's in the best interest of British Speedway

Though the majority of Aussies do have a knack of being entertainers on the track

Maybe before any non GB passport holders can be offered a team spot all GB passport holders should

If a GB passport holder turns down a spot a form is filled in with reasons why etc that form is also put into the public arena

Also have a bit of flexibility on averages

EG foreign rider on a 7pt puts you dead on the limit but you can have a GB rider on 7.5 which puts you over the limit slightly but the other promoters agree to the move as it's in the best interest of British Speedway

Though the majority of Aussies do have a knack of being entertainers on the track

You can't be an entertainer if they won't let you onstage

British speedway should reinvent itself on being a feeder to clubs in Poland, and maybe to an extent Sweden.

There are lots of young polish riders and from other nations who need experience, let Poland have them when ready but why are UK clubs not getting young exciting poles who maybe won't hold down a regular team spot on loan to race over here etc

My anger is not with Aussie riders. It is with Poland and the way they class themselves as the be all and end all.

The reason I have picked on Aussies is because they come over here, get trained up and if the Poles demand only two leagues next season, you can be sure the UK will get the heave ho as Poland and Sweden are chosen over the country that gave them the break.

Much sooner not give the Aussies the chance in the first place and give the spot to a Brit. All well and good saying they are crowd pullers etc, but a young up and coming Brit can be just as well, and represent our nation rather than down under.

Theres no reason that in 5 years this country has produced a plethera of great young talent to challenge on the world stage. And ride in our top flight. We have Adam Ellis, Newman, Garrity, Bates, Bewley, Smith, Parkinson-Blackburn and others all coming through. Its the best it has looked in ages.

Get rid of journeymen Jonny Foriegner and bring in these lads. The league will be weaker in the short term but we will benefit in the medium to long term. Why train up Aussies when we have our own guys desperate for an opportunity?

• Like 4

TBH with all the stories of riders not being paid in all countries

If I was a top notch rider I'd be saying as part of my contract that say I'm on £500 a point that the club pay £7.5K into my account 2 days before the match and the money I don't earn will be transferred back after the match

My anger is not with Aussie riders. It is with Poland and the way they class themselves as the be all and end all.

Sadly its true steve, we cannot offer the sort of money Poland can and never will. Like everybody knows its a short career and riders will go where the money is.

Edited by Starman2006

The reason I have picked on Aussies is because they come over here, get trained up and if the Poles demand only two leagues next season, you can be sure the UK will get the heave ho as Poland and Sweden are chosen over the country that gave them the break.

Much sooner not give the Aussies the chance in the first place and give the spot to a Brit. All well and good saying they are crowd pullers etc, but a young up and coming Brit can be just as well, and represent our nation rather than down under.

Theres no reason that in 5 years this country has produced a plethera of great young talent to challenge on the world stage. And ride in our top flight. We have Adam Ellis, Newman, Garrity, Bates, Bewley, Smith, Parkinson-Blackburn and others all coming through. Its the best it has looked in ages.

Get rid of journeymen Jonny Foriegner and bring in these lads. The league will be weaker in the short term but we will benefit in the medium to long term. Why train up Aussies when we have our own guys desperate for an opportunity?

Your anger should be with the BSPA, it's their years of mismanagement that have led to this situation. If we were the worlds strongest league pulling in massive crowds with big TV exposure, we'd try to protect it just the same.

Where is the "big plan" that was going to drive us forward ? The draught riders scheme was a good idea, badly thought out. When last year draught riders had the chance to go into the main team, some floundered some didn't, what was the reward this year for all the effort / investment many put in ?

As for tv coverage and a main league sponsor ???? Honestly, if the BSPA fell into a barrel of boobs they'd come out sucking their thumbs.

Edited by Jonny the spud

Really though its only the riders from Australia where we have this issue. The USA is dead in the water and all other foreigners have their own leagues to race in. Australia have never had a league system and for decades have used the British leagues for a career. Time for it to end.

As for arguing Holder is no longer at Poole is a nonsense. We have two Aussies in our side and whats the betting once trained up they will disappear over the horizon along with Fricke?

Time for Brits to come first, second and third. If we did this within five years we will have some great talent representing our country.

Let the Poles bring the aussies through.

It`s not only Aussies that are involved- take NKI rides Poland, Sweden and home league. Therefore not available for the UK. his Danish and Swedish teams would have had to sign for his release in fixture clash.

Your anger should be with the BSPA, it's their years of mismanagement that have led to this situation. If we were the worlds strongest league pulling in massive crowds with big TV exposure, we'd try to protect it just the same.

Where is the "big plan" that was going to drive us forward ? The draught riders scheme was a good idea, badly thought out. When last year draught riders had the chance to go into the main team, some floundered some didn't, what was the reward this year for all the effort / investment many put in ?

As for tv coverage and a main league sponsor ???? Honestly, if the BSPA fell into a barrel of boobs they'd come out sucking their thumbs.

I think the draught scheme was a good idea and the way forward, though needed more tweaking. I don't think its a god idea we end up with riders like Klindt at reserve when it should be a young Brit.

And riders like Adam we almost hung out to dry having been lumbered with an excessive average. You can hang that one on Mick Horton who argued vehemently against any adjustment because Adam didn't have a PL average.

It`s not only Aussies that are involved- take NKI rides Poland, Sweden and home league. Therefore not available for the UK. his Danish and Swedish teams would have had to sign for his release in fixture clash.

Whats the betting they have taken the same stance as Matt Ford?

I think the draught scheme was a good idea and the way forward, though needed more tweaking. I don't think its a god idea we end up with riders like Klindt at reserve when it should be a young Brit.

And riders like Adam we almost hung out to dry having been lumbered with an excessive average. You can hang that one on Mick Horton who argued vehemently against any adjustment because Adam didn't have a PL average.

I agree with you, this mucking around with the averages was wrong.

Whats the betting they have taken the same stance as Matt Ford?

What`s the betting that they have signed- If he doedn`t ride for Gorzow in their 1st meeting- they haven`t. if he does ride then they will have signed- I know which one I would put money on !!!!

What`s the betting that they have signed- If he doedn`t ride for Gorzow in their 1st meeting- they haven`t. if he does ride then they will have signed- I know which one I would put money on !!!!

I don't think his Danish team will have had to sign anything. I think I read that a rider's home nation league still takes priority over the Extraliga.

His Swedish team will have to have signed though...Having said that, they are fairly safe in signing as Poland are unlikely to reschedule any matches for a Swedish league Tuesday.