British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Time For Brits First. No More Aussies To Uk Speedway.

I think the draught scheme was a good idea and the way forward, though needed more tweaking. I don't think its a god idea we end up with riders like Klindt at reserve when it should be a young Brit.

And riders like Adam we almost hung out to dry having been lumbered with an excessive average. You can hang that one on Mick Horton who argued vehemently against any adjustment because Adam didn't have a PL average.

Whats the betting they have taken the same stance as Matt Ford?

Yet you'll be cheering Klindt on just like the season Freddie Erickson was a reserve Steve.

Both had Ford by the balls to get a great deal better than their ability as they were League changers.

For the likes of Sargent & Stefan Nielsen to not have a ride in any league & Adam to thank Rosco for one things do need to change.

Matt would've had Adam if he had got an average reduction but not on his proper average if also what's wrong with the sport.

Just hope Adam remembers that in the future.

All the average manipulation has turned fans away long before Poland brought their new rules in.

I don't think his Danish team will have had to sign anything. I think I read that a rider's home nation league still takes priority over the Extraliga.

His Swedish team will have to have signed though...Having said that, they are fairly safe in signing as Poland are unlikely to reschedule any matches for a Swedish league Tuesday.

Don`t think that`s quite right Henry, the Polish extraleague contract as I understand it requires the riders priority over all other league commitments.

It's a bit rich blaming the Aussies when our own British world champion continues to shaft British speedway after we "trained him" and even bent the rules keeping him at reserve in his first NL season

• Like 3

It's a bit rich blaming the Aussies when our own British world champion continues to shaft British speedway after we "trained him" and even bent the rules keeping him at reserve in his first NL season

What Woffinden has done to British speedway is beyond contempt. Utter disgrace.

• Like 1

And they'll still cheer him on at Cardiff .... boo him or better still give him the silent treatment .... Who wants a World Champion we never see, ok never see more than twice a year ha?

And they'll still cheer him on at Cardiff .... boo him or better still give him the silent treatment .... Who wants a World Champion we never see, ok never see more than twice a year ha?

Twice a year? Can only think of Cardiff. Don't forget he now refuses to represent his country. And some still defend him. Unbelievable.

I don't think many people really begrudge riders earning where they can - its the priority issue that is causing the problem.

NKI states in this week's Star that he wanted to ride in the UK this year but couldn't due to the Polish rules. He feels riders should ride in as many leagues as they want!!

Aside from the obvious risks of 'burn-out' (which NKI acknowledges), surely its all about the terms of the contract that each rider has with their respective club(s). If a rider can't give the kind of commitment to the club that offers the contract then the club shouldn't sign him!!

• Like 2

He was booed at Belle vue in the play offs and there were chants of who are you down to the fact that he had turned his back on British speedway and we never see him anymore.He was only riding because his Polish and Swedish teams were out of the plays offs and it was the only way he could earn some money.What did he expect that we would be so grateful to see him ride that we would cheer the roof off.

He hated it responding with hand gestures to the crowd and then called the Belle vue fans scum on twitter.

I know this is water under the bridge but for turning his back on British speedway the way he has(world cup British final etc) he deserves the same response at Cardiff.

Edited by B.V 72
  • Like 4

He was booed at Belle vue in the play offs and there were chants of who are you down to the fact that he had turned his back on British speedway and we never see him anymore.He was only riding because his Polish and Swedish teams were out of the plays offs and it was the only way he could earn some money.What did he expect that we would be so grateful to see him ride that we would cheer the roof off.

He hated it responding with hand gestures to the crowd and then called the Belle vue fans scum on twitter.

I know this is water under the bridge but for turning his back on British speedway the way he has(world cup British final etc) he deserves the same response at Cardiff.

I don't agree with him turning his back on British speedway either but he is no different to all the top guys who had a huge chunk of their speedway education in the UK.

That said he will still receive the biggest cheer at Cardiff and remains hugely popular.

I don't agree with him turning his back on British speedway either but he is no different to all the top guys who had a huge chunk of their speedway education in the UK.

That said he will still receive the biggest cheer at Cardiff and remains hugely popular.

He is different. He claims he is British. As a world champion who is British he is obligated to ride in the UK. But he snubs his nose at the UK and refuses to give anything back or help promote the sport in the UK. But it wasn't for the UK he would probably be some tattood oik working in Aldi. Yet he can't be arsed to ride in our league unless it suits him (other leagues finished). He can't be arsed to ride in the British Final. He can't even be arsed to ride for his country.

He might get the biggest cheer at Cardiff but that's from once a year fans who only attend Cardiff. If they knew how he treats British fans and our league he would certainly hear the boos echoing around Cardiff.

• Like 8

He is different. He claims he is British. As a world champion who is British he is obligated to ride in the UK. But he snubs his nose at the UK and refuses to give anything back or help promote the sport in the UK. But it wasn't for the UK he would probably be some tattood oik working in Aldi. Yet he can't be arsed to ride in our league unless it suits him (other leagues finished). He can't be arsed to ride in the British Final. He can't even be arsed to ride for his country.

He might get the biggest cheer at Cardiff but that's from once a year fans who only attend Cardiff. If they knew how he treats British fans and our league he would certainly hear the boos echoing around Cardiff.

He doesn't claim to be British, he is.

Don't speculate what those attending Cardiff know or don't know.

Anyone has a right to applaud their best British rider in many years, equally there is a small minority that have turned their back on supporting him. Both are valid choices.

Let's not forget his isn't the first British rider to have turned their back on the UK league at one point or another. Simon Wigg, Scott Nicholls and Lee Richardson all did so too.

We all agree that the BSPA doesn't do enough for British speedway. Tai appears to feel the same! Looks like he has a lot in common with plenty of us too!

• Like 9

Depends what you want from your weekly speedway fix. To see some of the best young Aussie talent (albeit until they pack their rucksacks and head over to Poland), or a team made up of Brits and lower rate Danes/Swedes.

Speedway is an entertainment business. You want the best riders possible over here. There may be one or two Brits who will make the grade, but many will never be above Championship reserve class.

"Team GB" is a bit of a nonsense. An excuse to get the Union flags out for a week or so during the World Cup. The rest of the time we're cheering on our own sides made up mostly of foreigners.

Unless you're a Rye House fan, good to see mainly Brits in the team

Twice a year? Can only think of Cardiff. Don't forget he now refuses to represent his country. And some still defend him. Unbelievable.

Yes, true, twice up to this year ......

TW is terrific a speedway talent and would have flourished if he had stayed in Australia rather than coming here to develop his ability. There were powerful family ties in doing that as well. I regret very much that he has turned his back - for now - on riding for GB but I do love to watch him in the GPs. Riders have always gone where the money is and the other major regret I have is that promoters over the last twenty years seem to have not much bothered about the crowd levels - until the millions from Sky came to a halt. So we are the "poor men" of European speedway nowadays when it comes to attracting the top riders.

• Like 2