British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Time For Brits First. No More Aussies To Uk Speedway.

The two top Aussies, Doyley and Noddy, still ride here, with a few other Gp riders. Unfortunately its not the 70s now and the Poles can shout the loudest.

Time to put brits first?

Look at how many 2-3 pointers there are next season? Hopefully all will progress in 2-3 years by becoming 4-6 point men maybe the odd one progressing into more...

Then next season half dozen more 2-3 pointers will emerge and within 5-10 years we'll have lots of british riders maybe not world beaters but sustaining british speedway

Bspa tho needs to have fans in this time otherwise there is no sport

And, it needs to develope uk talent, why it does not have say 16 bikes with 4 spares, all maintained by a chosen company and they use these machines for national individual championships for under 19's

And hosting numerous experience/talent days where kids from anywhere including grass track, motox, road racing etc can "have a go" and are encouraged to

We could unearth a bucket load of riders and compared to other domestix motorsport in speedway you get points money and travel.. there are around 150 kids that race 125 road bikes in the uk..... no prize money and all it is is cost cost cost

Maybe these kids could be really good on a speedway bike, its one thing watching rossi and wanting to be like him none ever will bar one lucky rider every so many years.

The one truly world class rider GB has produced (TW) has moved abroad.

It would be the same for any future GB star - Poland pays 5 times what they can earn in the U.K. so you cannot blame a rider for maximising their income in what is a short and dangerous career.

What is gaulling is this Polish directive applying to All riders of any standard - as much as Jack Holder has potential he needs to get their first and

time spent in the UK should be his first commitment.

I have no problem with Woffinden not riding in the EL at all, it's his perogative and the lighter schedule has worked for him at World Championship level. But he should be riding in the British Championshipd

British Championships and for Team GB, no excuses.

• Like 2

No problem with any rider choosing to race abroad and not here, but they shouldn't be allowed to sign for a GB club when their Polish/Swedish seasons are over. That's just taking the pis*

• Like 5

No problem with any rider choosing to race abroad and not here, but they shouldn't be allowed to sign for a GB club when their Polish/Swedish seasons are over. That's just taking the pis*

They can't now tho anyway, since the July deadline was brought in.

Seems a sensible one too.

• Like 1

As much as I loathe the bspa reading this does have me thinking they are dammed if they do,dammed if they don't.

We as fans have begged for brits to get a chance to develop in the 'top' league over here, they do and the warriors at saying X n y riders aren't good enough, waste of time etc etc....while I agree that it wasn't done 100% in the right way an attempt has been made to improve riders! Stevie Worrall for example has thrived.

Fact is, we need the aussies, from my own experience it's rarely the brits that stay around after a meeting to chat with fans, have a beer in the old days have a laugh and joke...brits not so much. As a kid growing up I met Crumpy at Swindon in his first time there, he took the time to speak to me, even gave me a cap that I still have now...I've loved the sport ever since.. no Brit did that in 29 years of watching! Yet we lament the brits for interacting negatively on social media with fans.. primarily they are thryingnto provoke a reaction from a rider anyway.

Th aussies are needed fact, we have to admit that while fans are willing to turn their back on our sport due to silly' rules were not funding the sport...the poles are all over it, they have money, they are successful ....they pay a shed load more, it's the place to be to progress which also has been said that the brits lack ambition by not getting Polish spots or taking their chances there.....exactly what the aussies are doing!

While I understand Matt Fords point of view that he wants his riders here to ram in the crowds he's not the big dog in the sport any more!

• Like 2

As much as I loathe the bspa reading this does have me thinking they are dammed if they do,dammed if they don't.

We as fans have begged for brits to get a chance to develop in the 'top' league over here, they do and the warriors at saying X n y riders aren't good enough, waste of time etc etc....while I agree that it wasn't done 100% in the right way an attempt has been made to improve riders! Stevie Worrall for example has thrived.

Fact is, we need the aussies, from my own experience it's rarely the brits that stay around after a meeting to chat with fans, have a beer in the old days have a laugh and joke...brits not so much. As a kid growing up I met Crumpy at Swindon in his first time there, he took the time to speak to me, even gave me a cap that I still have now...I've loved the sport ever since.. no Brit did that in 29 years of watching! Yet we lament the brits for interacting negatively on social media with fans.. primarily they are thryingnto provoke a reaction from a rider anyway.

Th aussies are needed fact, we have to admit that while fans are willing to turn their back on our sport due to silly' rules were not funding the sport...the poles are all over it, they have money, they are successful ....they pay a shed load more, it's the place to be to progress which also has been said that the brits lack ambition by not getting Polish spots or taking their chances there.....exactly what the aussies are doing!

While I understand Matt Fords point of view that he wants his riders here to ram in the crowds he's not the big dog in the sport any more!

And i dont think he wants to be.. ;)

Perhaps thats the way to go. British club bring the Aussie over but the contract stipulates that if he wants to ride in Poland/Sweden they have to pay the British club a large yearly loan fee for his services.

Personally it's Brits first for me.

Surely that would only be legal if the club agree to pay the rider for the duration of his contract and if they terminate it for any reason must pay it out? You can't lock someone into a zero hour contract and make an alternative employer have to pay to break it.

Don`t think that`s quite right Henry, the Polish extraleague contract as I understand it requires the riders priority over all other league commitments.

Only just noticed this reply. This was the article that I was thinking of: http://sportowefakty.wp.pl/zuzel/642125/oficjalnie-maksymalnie-trzy-ligi-dla-zawodnikow-pge-ekstraligi

My Polish doesn't go much beyond saying hello and ordering beer, so I am trusting Google's translation skills and may have misinterpreted what this article was saying.

To me it seemed to suggest that riders who had a home nation league which they competed in should list this as number 1 on the list of up to 3 leagues that they race in.

It then goes on to say that riders need to get a statement that Polish league takes priority from any foreign leagues at number 2 or 3 on the list, implying that their home nation league would still be allowed to take priority.

That's all rather a generalisation, there have been plenty of very sociable British riders and a few Aussies who were often best avoided. Not that any of that matters to me, the racing is everything. I think we should put our own riders first whatever it involves and whatever contract and rule changes are deemed necessary.

He doesn't claim to be British, he is.

Don't speculate what those attending Cardiff know or don't know.

Anyone has a right to applaud their best British rider in many years, equally there is a small minority that have turned their back on supporting him. Both are valid choices.

Let's not forget his isn't the first British rider to have turned their back on the UK league at one point or another. Simon Wigg, Scott Nicholls and Lee Richardson all did so too.

We all agree that the BSPA doesn't do enough for British speedway. Tai appears to feel the same! Looks like he has a lot in common with plenty of us too!

I've defended Woffy from day1, he was born in England to English parents and had no choice as to where he was brought up, that decision was made by his parents when he was 5.

I was lucky enough to be at the 2016 Australian GP, and in EVERY race that Woofy rode in he was announced as Australian, if he feels he is British/English then why didn't he or 1 of his pit crew correct the Australian commentators, if Harris had of been called Australian ALL the time by Australian commentators I am sure he would've corrected them, Woffy didn't, no one did and for that reason and that reason alone, I feel certain that Woffy feels in himself that he is Australian.

I'd say he probably feels that he is both nationalities.