Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
billybikespeedway

Bbc Recordings Of The Internationale At Wimbledon

Does anyone know if there are any recordings of the internationale held on bank Holiday monday it was featured on the BBC on the Thursday following commentator i think was Alan Weeks,

I have this on DVD.

Lee really was on fire.Not the PC that we were used to seeing at Plough Lane.But great days

Was the start and finish line in different places at Plough Lane or am I dreaming, if not was there a track somewhere

Was the start and finish line in different places at Plough Lane

Yes

Guest compost

Out of interest anyone know why the start/finish lines were in different places (I presume it might be to allow the total distance of a 4 (ish) heat race to be a mile) ?

Think it was to give a longer run to the first bend. It used to catch visiting riders out though. Can remember the Dons riders snatching a few extra points on the run in to the finish line!

Out of interest anyone know why the start/finish lines were in different places (I presume it might be to allow the total distance of a 4 (ish) heat race to be a mile) ?

Not sure if it was a mile, but it was to achieve the minimum distance over 4 laps as designated by the FIM.

• Like 1

No way was 4 laps of Plough Lane equal to one mile. Not even 4 laps of Custom House measured one mile, though the original Custom house track length of 440 yards did make a 4 lap heat equal one mile exactly.

Typical speedway fans. Someone begins a thread asking one question; another individual throws in his own mid-plot... then we end up with unwinable arguments of what track had the best finish line!

• Like 1

Typical speedway fans. Someone begins a thread asking one question; another individual throws in his own mid-plot... then we end up with unwinable arguments of what track had the best finish line!

Does any question have to be winnable? does it matter if it goes off track. Surely the forum is there to discuss speedway but it does not have to be in a regimental way.!!!
  • Like 1

Guilty as charged :sad:

• Like 1

It's probably the usual story with the Beeb and Speedway archives, the recordings were wiped or destroyed.

I'm sure ITV covered most of these in the 70's.....I do recall Simmo winning the 1974 Spring Classic and the1976 Internationale when Fred Dinenage was hosting WoS.