British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Any Chance Of A Brafield Revival?

I wonder if there is a chance of a speedway reincarnation for Brafield?

I don't think Spedeworth Motorsport, who are the controlling party at the Northamptonshire venue, now known as Northampton International Raeway, would be adverse to the suggestion.

They are the main leaseholders at Foxhall Heath where Ipswich are their speedway tenants. And Spedeworth were also extremely co-operative in regard to speedway's farewell show at Wimbledon Stadium last Sunday, March12, 2017.

​I recall seeing the mid-1950s Brafield Southern Area League speedway team several times and riders who spring to mind are Hank Bird, Vic Hall, Brian Meredith. Tony and Eric Eadon, Fran Greasley.

Edited by Guest

Brafield was looked at by wily multi track promoter and saviour Tony Mole a decade or so ago. For some reason(s) things never developed which I suspect would be good reasons as Tony Moles a shrewd operator!

I've always said that National League (3rd tier) racing at Brafield under the Northampton banner could be viable, even as an alternative to the attempts to get a track in Milton Keynes again. Northampton Knights?

Spedeworth have been landlords to Ipswich speedway for many years. In the past they have been against running stock cars on shale tracks (in my opinion the best stock car racing is on shale tracks!) but last year purchased West Row Stadium home of the Fen Tigers and want the speedway to continue there!

I think there is room inside the big stock car track at Brafield for a smallish Lakeside like track which at 3rd tier level would be a good track to enhance raw skills!

Edited by 25yearfan

I think last time Mole looked into the place was before Deane Wood bought incarace so it may be worth a potential promoter contacting him. Tbf with an inner armco there, it's a bit more work then just digging up the tarmac and laying shale.

The Northampton track has had a layer of shale applied this week as an 'experiment' for stock cars. It is planned to be shale for a couple of months, looking at possibly being more permanent in future. Any team looking for a track for 2019?? 

The Mole looked at it 21 years ago as a potential home for Long Eaton's licence/displacement. The track would have been smaller and tighter than the then Arena Essex,as such it was considered not to be a suitable league venue.

1 hour ago, ovalfan said:

The Northampton track has had a layer of shale applied this week as an 'experiment' for stock cars. It is planned to be shale for a couple of months, looking at possibly being more permanent in future. Any team looking for a track for 2019?? 

Cradley, Coventry???

1 hour ago, Whisperer said:

The Mole looked at it 21 years ago as a potential home for Long Eaton's licence/displacement. The track would have been smaller and tighter than the then Arena Essex,as such it was considered not to be a suitable league venue.

Many things have changed over 21 years ;)

I commentated on stock cars many times there in the eighties. They call it Northampton. It would make a great speedway track and I'm very surprised they're laying shale because they really do prefer tarmac in that sport.

Of course it was a speedway track, on and off until the late 60s. I think the final year of the Brafield Badgers was 1967. It was only ever a junior track, never in a pro league. 

Notice in this weeks Speedway Star that a couple of enquiries have already been make re the possibility of speedway returning to Brafield. Answer seems to be no in the short term, but maybe in a couple of years time.

It could easily be used for a revival speedway team or even a completely new attempt ( ignoring the Badger's years ). There are two problems 1) Very substantial funds would be needed to convince the stock car promoters that the return of speedway would not be a flop ( who wants the quick failure of a sporting launch at your otherwise successful venue ) 2 ) there is no evidence historically that speedway is of much interest to the local  public. I lived there for 20 years and went to Coventry regularly ( only 30 miles away ). By the way, Brafield really is Northampton - the town centre is only five miles away but thankfully reasonably far from the local village population. Northampton Knights, take the fancy of a wealthy sponsor?

Edited by waytogo28
adding a question

Everyone said similar things about Somerset before they opened and Scunthorpe, who previously had poor crowds before relaunch - with no Coventry and Nottingham/Long Eaton not an option perhaps it is ideal time...

• Like 1