Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Shale Searcher

Technical Changes To Bikes Last 20 Years, Benefits?

Ok folks, here is a list of changes I'm aware of, I say 20 yrs, some may be a bit older. Was wondering what the benefits of these changes are/were? Also, some were forced changes to comply with environmental/noise pollution rules, what additional problems these changes caused..

Also, feel free to add any other changes I may have missed..... So, here we go...

⊙ Leading Link Forks

⊙ Handlebars (now symmetric)

⊙ Offset Cranks

⊙ Recycled Oil, Not total loss

⊙ Quieter Silencers

⊙ Silencer expansion chambers

Personally I think the change that has had the worst effect is the short stroke/ lighter flywheel engines.

I think they make setup more critical and leave riders less of a margin for error.

I also think that the new silencers (not popular but better get used to it because noise levels will be reduced again!) would have been far less detrimental to long stroke engines with heavier flywheels.

Of the stuff you list:

Leading link forks seem quite a lot more stable.

Handlebars, personal preference and if somebody started flying with old style bars there would be plenty about in no time. I'm guessing that leading link forks made narrower bars possible as well.

Offset cranks, understand the theory but think only a rider can tell the difference.

Recycled oil, makes a huge difference to track surfaces that isn't good but total loss would be completely unacceptable these days.

Silencers: as above, blamed for everything when in my opinion they were only a part of the problem. The sport will need to reduce noise levels further I'm sure, we may not like it but it's the way things are these days. Despite the lawn mower comments Speedway bikes currently are still pretty loud machines, especially if you have no interest in Speedway which is the vast majority of the sports neighbours.

• Like 1

The changes you're referring to are for a mix of reasons. There is no ban or restriction on the use of total loss engines and plenty still exist. The oil is caught in proper catcher and disposed of after a few races - just as with re-circulating engines. Handlebars and forks have changed due to riders preference, again the old ones can still be used. Silencer changes were imposed to comply with noise levels. Offset cranks are simply engine developments made by manufacturers and tuners in the business of selling and notionally increasing performance/presenting an advantage.

Other changes which result from fashion/performance 'enhancements' are too numerous to mention but include 6 spring clutches and newer style plates, engine internals incl. flywheels, ignition development, laydown engines, iridium spark plugs, fancy and expensive vans, multiple bikes for even the most novice of riders, full time mechanics.

You don't mention chain guards, primary chain stop bar, silencer retainer, exhaust clips, ignition cut out or the reduced height rear guards plus pivoting footrests. All of these are safety ones which are all positive in my view.

Apart from providing income for tuners, manufacturers and accessory sellers, I don't think any of the cosmetic/performance changes have made the spectacle any better but are costing more for riders/sponsors. Oh, and the crowds are down every year. That's progress for you ;)

Apart from providing income for tuners, manufacturers and accessory sellers, I don't think any of the cosmetic/performance changes have made the spectacle any better but are costing more for riders/sponsors. Oh, and the crowds are down every year. That's progress for you ;)

. . . and still the average speed at some tracks is still only 38.5 mph and 39.7 mph, - that calculated from track records, (so all other heats are slower. ) See other topic, 'Fastest Track Speeds'. http://www.speedway-forum.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=83692&page=2

There will always be a limit on speed due to the size/shape of the track. Higher speed on the straights, which the modern bikes generate, still needs to be scrubbed off around the bend to actually get around it! This also doesn't really add to the spectacle and in my view makes racing/passing a little harder.

Edited by SPEEDY69
  • Like 2

There will always be a limit on speed due to the size/shape of the track. Higher speed on the straights, which the modern bikes generate, still needs to be scrubbed off around the bend to actually get around it! This also doesn't really add to the spectacle and in my view makes racing/passing a little harder.

Spot on.

Barry Briggs has probably been the only net recipient of changes for the last 20 years.

The cut out , the primary chain guard , swinging footrest , pretty much everything else wasn't needed

Ok folks, here is a list of changes I'm aware of, I say 20 yrs, some may be a bit older. Was wondering what the benefits of these changes are/were? Also, some were forced changes to comply with environmental/noise pollution rules, what additional problems these changes caused..

Also, feel free to add any other changes I may have missed..... So, here we go...

⊙ Leading Link Forks

⊙ Handlebars (now symmetric)

⊙ Offset Cranks

⊙ Recycled Oil, Not total loss

⊙ Quieter Silencers

⊙ Silencer expansion chambers

Add compulsory spoilers and silencer heat shields

Edited by Sotonian