British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
longlivefrankie

Teams Tradional Race Nights

Reading another thread started me thinking about tracks race nights from sixties & seventies

Here's the ones I think remember - correct me if I'm wrong & add others if so desired

Monday ...... Reading, Exeter, Newcastle

Tuesday...... Leicester, West Ham

Wednesday. Poole, Hull

Thursday.... Wimbledon, Sheffield, Oxford

Friday......... Hackney, Newport, Wolverhampton, Edinburgh

Saturday..... Cradley Heath, Belle Vue, Coventry, Swindon, Glasgow

• Like 1

Think i am right in saying Wimbledons traditional night for many years was monday,then they changed to thursday.

Over the years many teams have changed.I remember Eastbourne and Rye House being sunday afternoon,but they have since changed.Not sure though what their race day is now

I well recall -

Monday - Wimbledon and Walthamstow

Tuesday - West Ham

Wednesday - New Cross

Thursday - Wembley

Friday - Harringay

​Saturday - a small excursion from London to Rayleigh

Reading another thread started me thinking about tracks race nights from sixties & seventies

Here's the ones I think remember - correct me if I'm wrong & add others if so desired

Wednesday. Poole, Hull

Also Ipswich on Thursdays, White City Wednesdays and Tuesdays, Bristol on Fridays and King's Lynn on Saturdays.

Also Ipswich on Thursdays, White City Wednesdays and Tuesdays, Bristol on Fridays and King's Lynn on Saturdays.

Seem to remember one of the reasons given for White City's closure was that Reading blocked their intended move to monday nights.Wednesday they said was problematic because of the clash with football fixtures in London,obviously thursday and friday were already taken,so monday was their best option.

Wednesday. Poole, Hull

Glasgow staged meetings on Fridays during the early years of the British League. Halifax and King's Lynn were Saturday tracks, as was Wimbledon in 1965. King's Lynn held meetings on Sundays during their non-league season in 1965. Long Eaton raced on Tuesdays at that time.

Seem to remember one of the reasons given for White City's closure was that Reading blocked their intended move to monday nights.Wednesday they said was problematic because of the clash with football fixtures in London,obviously thursday and friday were already taken,so monday was their best option.

Tuesdays were tried with an objection raised by Crayford but at the end of the day just not enough people went to Wood Lane despite an attractive team.

I used to travel up from Swindon on Saturdays (I was at school during the week) to see a lot of Arsenal and Chelsea games in the late 60's and early 70's. I'm sure that on travelling back from the games from Paddington and passing Reading, that the Racers would very often have a meeting at Tilehurst. I can even see the big old fir trees that used to skirt the back straight next to the railway line.

As previously posted, Reading ran on Mondays didn't they?.............but these were definitely Saturday meetings.......confused

In the early 1970's there were plenty of options in london and the south east.

Monday - reading

Tuesday - west ham

Wednesday - crayford

Thursday - Wimbledon, romford

Friday - hackney, oxford

Saturday - wembley, canterbury, rayleigh

Sunday - eastbourne, rye house.

Those were the days!

• Like 1

Did Wimbledon run on a Saturday - before it ran on Thursday (after the Monday race night) - or did I dream that??

Did Wimbledon run on a Saturday - before it ran on Thursday (after the Monday race night) - or did I dream that??

wimbledon did run on Saturdays for a short time in the 1960's.
  • Like 1

Glasgow staged meetings on Fridays during the early years of the British League. Halifax and King's Lynn were Saturday tracks, as was Wimbledon in 1965. King's Lynn held meetings on Sundays during their non-league season in 1965. Long Eaton raced on Tuesdays at that time.

wimbledon did run on Saturdays for a short time in the 1960's.

​Wimbledon raced Saturday meetings in 1965 according to this pdf from SPEEDWAY RESEARCHER: http://www.speedwayresearcher.org.uk/docs/wimbledon/1965.pdf

Apologies if I spelt a word wrong in the title. Someone has pointed it out in a PM to me as it has taken this long I'm not worrying about it

Edited by Ken Morgan

Apologies if I spelt a word wrong in the title. Someone has pointed it out in a PM to me as it has taken this long I'm not worrying about it

The time it took to make the above comment is probably about the same as to correct a spelling error and thus give the thread more credibility. Still - that's your choice - sobeit. :rolleyes:

When Wimbledon changed race night from Monday to Thursday an article, probably in the Speedway Star, explained the reason as falling crowds.

These were thought to be related to the popular television series Wagon Train which ran on Monday.

It did obtain huge viewing figures but I don't think it kept me in.