British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Shale Searcher

How Many Riders Have Switched To Leather Race Suits For 2017 Season

I remember Briggo riding butt naked back in the 70s.Couldn't get more lightweight than that!!!!

...with a Briggo sticker placed on one of his bum cheeks if I recall?

• Like 1

I remember Briggo riding butt naked back in the 70s.Couldn't get more lightweight than that!!!!

Don't know about that, Briggo's head probably weighs more than Erik.

That was the night Eamonn Andrews got him for This Is Your Life. :t::cheers:

what helmet colour did he have ? ;)

• Like 1

She was called Jason Crump, grasstrack was speedway and exhaust was spinning back tire with his bicep between the tire and mudguard... end result is the same and those chequered nylon suits are practically history.

I was told, by the suit maker, that it was an 11 year old girl. He illustrated the point by demonstrating that a hot soldering iron didn't melt or burn kevlar like nylon. Probably the ACU were more exercised about a young girl than an adult male rider!

I was told, by the suit maker, that it was an 11 year old girl. He illustrated the point by demonstrating that a hot soldering iron didn't melt or burn kevlar like nylon. Probably the ACU were more exercised about a young girl than an adult male rider!

No doubt this has happened as explained to you. What I said is how I've seen it happen on international level from over here.

They were leather but very thin and just for that meeting.

I am lead to believe, these suits were constructed in Kangaroo Leather.....

I am lead to believe, these suits were constructed in Kangaroo Leather.....

As are the drivers seats in driving school cars

• Like 3

you Put a hot soldering iron anywhere near a race suit and it will melt . take a look at most peoples right suit leg and you will see a chunk missing where it touches the exhaust . they should get done under the trades descritions act for calling those suits Kevlar . they are 94% polyester , the reason they were foisted on speedway is they are easy to print . and as cheap as chips to buy the raw material .easy to sew and massively profitable. they provide no protection whatsoever .even a small slide off will result in abrasions and burns as the polyester melts .. real kevlar as used in police uniform and top of the range motorcycle clothing is nothing like the rubbish that is sold as kevlar for sppedway suits ..

the danes had lightweight suits made from pig skin

Do the riders not know better?

Do the riders not know better?

It's easier to get bright colours, easy to print sponsors on, no sew on sponsors, that's the reason, and its wrong, Leather should be compulsory...

And for the hundreth time on here it seems.....I have used leathers and kevlars for speedway and grasstrack. I had more burns from using leathers than I did when wearing kevlars. Leathers are brilliant when sliding a long way along a tarmack track at speed but most speedway injuries are caused by impact where material choice makes no difference.

I use leathers because I think they offer better protection in small crashes and rarely ride more than once in a week so have plenty of time to look after them. There is a bit of a hole in the leg where they touch the exhaust!

However I would wear kevlars and an undersuit with no problems at all if I were riding more often as they are much more practical to look after. Especially with this armour http://www.d-starracewear.co.uk/covecbodyarmour.html underneath I believe they offer protection as good as more restrictive and harder to maintain leathers in the vast majority of instances.

• Like 1

you Put a hot soldering iron anywhere near a race suit and it will melt .

Not true. As I said, the maker demonstrated this. It is the old nylon type which melts.

• Like 1