British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Shale Searcher

How Many Riders Have Switched To Leather Race Suits For 2017 Season

Not true. As I said, the maker demonstrated this. It is the old nylon type which melts.

absolutlely not . the new crap melts even worse

Kevlar melts at 450C. If the suit you have melts it's not Kevlar.

Adding my 2p worth: 7 or 8 years ago either the first or 2nd time I rode a speedway bike, I slid off (admittedly at lowish speed), left leg temporarily trapped under the bike, struggling to free myself, didn't initially realise my right foot was also somehow under the footrest. Once aware of how hot my foot was getting I did manage to extract myself, but the exhaust downpipe, just before it meets the silencer, burnt through the reinforced heel of the leather Daytona boot and 2 pairs of socks leaving me with a lump the size a golfball. I applied a cold bandage immediately and the lump went down in a day or so but to this day I still have scar the size of a penny on my right heel....

Kevlar melts at 450C. If the suit you have melts it's not Kevlar.

Kevlar costs a fortune doesn't it, these suits are never all Kevlar?

Just bumping this back up . waiting for JJ .or long eye .to admit they were wrong

All I can say is, that I watched the suit maker apply a hot soldering iron to nylon (melted, of course), then to the kevlar material. No melting. Why should I admit to being wrong?

Kevlar costs a fortune doesn't it, these suits are never all Kevlar?

Exactly. The suits are a kevlar/nylon hybred.

I believe that about 4 or 5 years ago what was being marketed as kevlars was pretty much all nylon which the odd bit of kevlar/nylon in places. They were banned, and the kevlar content had to be increased to allow them to be marketed as kevlars.

Just bumping this back up . waiting for JJ .or long eye .to admit they were wrong

Where am I wrong?

Exactly. The suits are a kevlar/nylon hybred.

I believe that about 4 or 5 years ago what was being marketed as kevlars was pretty much all nylon which the odd bit of kevlar/nylon in places. They were banned, and the kevlar content had to be increased to allow them to be marketed as kevlars.

Me thinks the biggest problem in this discussion is that in the "speedway english" dictionary the word kevlars means everything from 2piece mxsuit to full kevlar 1piece speedway suit and leathers even.

We had a gorgeous pair of LEATHERS made for my son's sandtrack/speedway days, he better not grow out of them! Black in the main ...

If you watched a suit maker apply a soldering iron to Kevlar , it certainly wasn't a speedway suit . I have seen someone hanging from a board in overalls stuck to the board with wallpaper paste , doesn't mean I'm daft enough to believe it or to try it , because in the real world manufacturers make claims for their product that aren't true people buy stuff on account of the manufacturers claims and are largely disappointed when the claims turn out to be false

for liking JJ's post which is completely wrong

It was in his workshop, with material from which he was making suits. Personally, I see no reason to disbelieve him. The 'part nylon' suits are now banned; all race suits have to have a label stating that they conform to modern ACU standards and this is checked by the machine examiner before racing.