British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Grass Track Activity

would be interesting to hear david howes on this as i saw him in his riding gear in the pits but never ride the track

Did he not loop at the start in his first race?

Did he not loop at the start in his first race?

that might be why i didnt see him ride if thats true

would still be intrested to hear his thoughts or any of the riders that rode yesterday

Can't blame the organisers for the weather - it really was hot yesterday - but, yes, there were delays to the programme early on which set everything back, and information was not always forthcoming

Feel sorry for the organisers who put in a massive effort to stage this event, and they will be as disappointed as all the riders and spectators at the outcome

Sorry, but when an organising club is charging admission to an event, it cannot be allowed to get away with a shrug of the shoulders and mumblings about the 'wrong type of summer weather'. If organisers can't lay on proper watering facilities, they shouldn't be running meetings like this. Did the midsummer heat come as a surprise? Why were the two big water bowsers used only before the racing began? The 'sprayer' employed thereafter was absolutely hopeless. First time I've made the 300-mile round trip to the Master of Midshires. I certainly won't be doing it again.

Edited by Piotr Pyszny

They weren't - they were watering for days prior to yesterday

And having checked the weather forecast regularly, I can say that the BBC were forecasting showers for Sunday as late as Saturday morning!

Edited by Midland Red

Agree with Piotr. Left soon after the interminably long track grading. Perhaps too many races. If you want the paying public to attend then it has to be a reasonable show. Live 30 miles away and will think carefully before attending again. Also will not travel further for a grasstrack meeting. Sorry to be so critical. Was really looking forward to this. Hope the organisers can reflect hard on what they want the public to attend.

Edited by bluebee

Can anybody give me an idea of the classes and/or leading riders for Sunday's (30/7) British Masters Qualifier grasstrack at Riseborough? I did email Pickering & District Motor Club, the organisers, for details, but they haven't bothered replying. The poster, on the club's Facebook page, advertising the meeting doesn't even say what time practice/racing begins! Please don't advise looking in Speedway Star. I haven't bought it in years, and it won't be available within 50 miles of where I live.

Edited by Piotr Pyszny

Just back from this. Pretty well organised by Pickering & District Motor Club, who, mindful of forecast showers, kept a 34-race schedule ticking along at a fair lick. Some decent racing on a big, flat track at Riseborough, south-west of Pickering and very much in the middle of nowhere. Access via single-track back roads north of Castle Howard, through a muddy farmyard then down a bumpy lane. Class winners were Tom Cossar and Wayne Rickards (1000cc sidecars), Jamie Rodgers (500cc solos) and David Knowles (250cc solos). Didn't note who won the motocross class which, frankly, was pants. Admission was £10, a 16-page programme sold for £2 and the attendance I estimated at about 400. No problems with dust and the track held up very well.

Edited by Piotr Pyszny

James Shanes today won his third British Masters title in a row. Mark Cossar won the sidecar title.

• Like 1

Unusually disappointing meeting at Swingfield yesterday. The track lay out with one sweeping and one very tight corner plus a soft surface from all the previous rain meant the solo racing was erratic and often survival rather than full on racing. The sidecars produced better entertainment. Sadly heats were cut to 3 laps only to save minimal time and the the 4th round of heats were still cut altogether. Delays between racing didn't help the meeting flow and panic about potential incoming rain / light fading meant a very dubious affair.

However best men won both classes on the day but not a classic Swingfield meeting but then the bar is always set very high.

Unusually disappointing meeting at Swingfield yesterday. The track lay out with one sweeping and one very tight corner plus a soft surface from all the previous rain meant the solo racing was erratic and often survival rather than full on racing. The sidecars produced better entertainment. Sadly heats were cut to 3 laps only to save minimal time and the the 4th round of heats were still cut altogether. Delays between racing didn't help the meeting flow and panic about potential incoming rain / light fading meant a very dubious affair.

However best men won both classes on the day but not a classic Swingfield meeting but then the bar is always set very high.

the track seemed to be in a different place, compared to my last visit to the masters about three years ago. The surface was very tricky on sunday, even the chairs were struggling at times.