British Speedway Forum

Women Riders In Speedway

A bit out of date - all of the British girls seem have given it up, except Skye Adams, who does motocross and flat track.

Here's an interesting Link in regard to 'women in speedway'. Follow the index letter to make progress.

http://www.oldstox.com/images/Women%20speedway%20riders%20later.pdf

A bit out of date - all of the British girls seem have given it up, except Skye Adams, who does motocross and flat track.

I made no claim that it was an up to date list. I merely posted it for interested members to browse through. :rolleyes:

Edited by Guest

How many threads does the topic need? :P

Should the title of the thread not be something like "Women riders in speedway"?

Women in speedway leads me to think of the likes of Margaret Vardy, Barbara Horley, Gail Godfrey, Debbie Hancock, Joan English etc., etc., and that's just the UK.

Yes,the referee at the world U21 meeting at the weekend was a woman from Austria,Suzanne Hüttinger or similar

Here's an interesting Link in regard to 'women in speedway'. Follow the index letter to make progress.

http://www.oldstox.com/images/Women%20speedway%20riders%20later.pdf

I was talking to Montana Jowett at Scunny once when she wore the pale blue / white suit & race bib (as in the pic with the other 2 girls) instead of her own, usual red / blue colours. She told me she'd attended some kind of training day in Poland (forget which track) and all the riders, boys & girls, were given the matching suits & race bibs to keep. And that there was a huge, free supply of fuel in the pits so riders could keep going back and forth topping up their fuel tanks as needed, think they were given a tyre too. Seen Monty, Rachel Hellowell & the Kirtly-Payne sisters (sp) ride a few times and they all looked more than handy, potential NL standard ? Just sayin'....

Edited by Martin Mauger

Should the title of the thread not be something like "Women riders in speedway"?

Women in speedway leads me to think of the likes of Margaret Vardy, Barbara Horley, Gail Godfrey, Debbie Hancock, Joan English etc., etc., and that's just the UK.

I suppose Crescent Girl should be added to that list as well :lol:

Seen Monty, Rachel Hellowell & the Kirtly-Payne sisters (sp) ride a few times and they all looked more than handy, potential NL standard ? Just sayin'....

Nowhere near NL standard, I'm afraid. The K-P sisters can't even slide the bike.

Nowhere near NL standard, I'm afraid. The K-P sisters can't even slide the bike.

I remember a female rider in Germany about 12-14 years ago now who couldn't slide a bike.She would give a bit of gas down the straghtaway and then podle round the bends and then a bit of gas etc.But because she rode within herself she picked up a few points most meetings as one or two riders would lose control and fall.......

Edited by iris123
  • Like 1

I remember a female rider in Germany about 12-14 years ago now who couldn't slide a bike.She would give a bit of gas down the straghtaway and then podle round the bends and then a bit of gas etc.But because she rode within herself she picked up a few pints most meetings as one or two riders would lose control and fall.......

...sounds a bit like me!

• Like 2

Not gettin' into anything, time precludes me taking in (and riding in :shock: !) the Scunny amateur scene these days so admittedly not seen the above ladies ride in a while but last I saw them the KP girls were full-on sliding and kicking it. Me jealous ? You bet ;) , LOL!...

I remember a female rider in Germany about 12-14 years ago now who couldn't slide a bike.She would give a bit of gas down the straghtaway and then podle round the bends and then a bit of gas etc.But because she rode within herself she picked up a few points most meetings as one or two riders would lose control and fall.......

Newport vs Somerset in the BLC in 2003. Maik Groen didnt turn up for Somerset so they needed a rider, Brendon MacKay was their number 7 so they used his mechanic/girlfriends Jessica Lamb. She could slide to be fair but certianly rtode within her self, to the point that in heat 8 Chris Schramm fell off, got back on and passed her for 3rd!

Not gettin' into anything, time precludes me taking in (and riding in :shock: !) the Scunny amateur scene these days so admittedly not seen the above ladies ride in a while but last I saw them the KP girls were full-on sliding and kicking it. Me jealous ? You bet ;) , LOL!...

Must have been some other girls ... the KPs have given up on the amateur racing for good reason. I saw Francesca at Peterborough the other week. She still couldn't slide the bike (she hasn't improved in the five years or so that I have seen her) and was half a lap behind the other girls, who were still slower than the MDL riders.