British Speedway Forum

Women Riders In Speedway

I cannot back this up with evidence but my memory says she rode.

I will check with a Belle Vue guru friend

Hello Gustix

Alice Hart took over from E O Spence and ran Belle Vue Speedway and was the first woman to be in Charge of a British Speedway team

She did not ride.... her previous involvement was simply working with E O Spence.. apologies for the error.

However I did find out two names of women who who did ride at Belle Vue,,, Eva Asquith ( Leeds) and Dot Cowley ( Stockport ) ,, apart from Fay Taylour who is well known as a Speedway rider.

Edited by KIRKYLANE

Iwade are running another ladies day on sept 9th as far as i know. Those of you with facebook will have to check.

Last one was a success. I will be going along to help out.

I've read some crap on here in my time but this one is up there with the best. At NO time in my years watching NL/2nd division racing did I see any rider who was incapable of sliding the bike hold down a team place. Convenient that you can't remember the year...or the track...or the rider. Total dung.

Maybe it was just that meeting Dave?....why so angry, can't we discuss like adults?

Iwade are running another ladies day on sept 9th as far as i know. Those of you with facebook will have to check.

Last one was a success. I will be going along to help out.

Forwarded message === sent by Alan Critcher

We will be at Sittingbourne Speedway (Iwade, Kent ME9 8SN) on Saturday 9th September, for the 2nd Ladies /Junior Training/Practice Day`.
We will be joined by Georgie Wood & Steve Cook, as well as the Track Instructors, Paul & Kenny, to help, advise & coach all of the Ladies, Girls & Boys, who are coming along, to either Practice or Learn to ride a Speedway Bike.
In addition, we will also be joined by 500cc Sidecar Riders, Dan Berwick & Chris Neame, who will be taking most of the attendees out on Track, to experience the thrill of riding in a sidecar.
Spectators are very welcome to attend & Entry is FREE!!!
With the Track Cafe open all day for Hot & Cold refreshments & a BBQ planned at the end of the riding sessions, a great day is expected. Gates will be open from 9.30am, with bikes out on both Tracks from 12.00pm to 16.00pm, with a half hour break for lunch at 14.00pm.
If anyone is interested in joining us on Track, who has NOT received their Invitation, then please contact Alan Critcher by sending a Message through FACEBOOK. We hope to see you there. Entries are coming in nicely 1f603.png:D
Any other Ladies or Juniors want to ride at Iwade on the 9th September?
Edited by Guest

German girl Celina Liebmann rode in the FIM 250cc Youth Speedway World Final this week in Prague,and she had a couple of heat wins !

• Like 1

For me,Celina was the most exciting rider in the meeting for her 7 points.Don't forget the Silver medal in the European final a short while ago.The first FIM medal for a woman?

Jessica Lamb rode at Wimbledon in the 2004-2005 season. She is regarded as the best woman rider of the post-war era.

21462258_529143210758539_633314970026294
Edited by Guest

I've read some crap on here in my time but this one is up there with the best. At NO time in my years watching NL/2nd division racing did I see any rider who was incapable of sliding the bike hold down a team place. Convenient that you can't remember the year...or the track...or the rider. Total dung.

The IOW had a Frenchman around about 2001 who couldn't slide the bike at Newport. It might have been Jeremy Bauraex (so?) who was a rider who rode for them around that time but tbh, it may have been a different French rider.

He genuinely two wheels around all 12 laps he did at Newport. It was shambic. He lasted about 2 meeting with them.

Edit - He was Christophe Cayre, he had 3 meetings in 2001 scoring 0. Barraud rode 7 meeting in '99 averaging just under 3.

Jessica Lamb rode at Wimbledon in the 2004-2005 season. She is regarded as the best woman rider of the post-war era.

21462258_529143210758539_633314970026294

If you ignore Sabrina Bogh Edited by SCB

If you ignore Sabrina Bogh

I was going to mention 'Fabulous' Fay Taylor, a pioneer woman rider of the late 1920s-early 1930s. In 1946, West Ham team manager gave Fay a successful trial and then sought Control Board permission to use her as a reserve rider. But the Control Board insisted a ban on woman riders made in the early 1930s was still effective.

As it happened, Fay was by then again involved with midget car racing and went off to drive in the USA, Australia and New Zealand for a couple of years.

Sabrina Bogh is a new name to me SCB. Can you please give some background on her?

Edited by Guest

Sabrina Bogh won (or maybe only finished on the podium) the Danish under 21 title in about 2000. She also qualified for the European Under 21 Championship around the same time ahead of, amongst others, this weekends GP winner, Matej Zagar who was only a reserve.

Once travelled to an away meet with Hull, 1980 or 81, forget where and the Vikings ran R/R so borrowed a local National League (then division 2) rider as No.8. He didn't get a ride in the match but rode in the 2nd half and in 3 rides never got a slide on once, and he was a league rider....

Not getting into anything but I know what I saw. You will have to forgive my Mk1 human memory but it was 36 / 37 years ago and I was only just considered old enough by my parents to travel to away meets alone. If I could honestly recall the rider and the track I would happily name names, but I'm not sure so won't. I just remember thinking the Vikings has been stitched up as while I'm sure the rider was prob going as well as he could, didn't look as if he would've got a point.....

• Like 1

Sabrina Bogh is a new name to me SCB. Can you please give some background on her?

Oh dear......

Once travelled to an away meet with Hull, 1980 or 81, forget where and the Vikings ran R/R so borrowed a local National League (then division 2) rider as No.8. He didn't get a ride in the match but rode in the 2nd half and in 3 rides never got a slide on once, and he was a league rider....

Not getting into anything but I know what I saw. You will have to forgive my Mk1 human memory but it was 36 / 37 years ago and I was only just considered old enough by my parents to travel to away meets alone. If I could honestly recall the rider and the track I would happily name names, but I'm not sure so won't. I just remember thinking the Vikings has been stitched up as while I'm sure the rider was prob going as well as he could, didn't look as if he would've got a point.....

Remember the American Team declaring a rider's mechanic in their starting line up once...can't recall whether he was called to race or what his known ability was on a speedway bike.

Sabrina Bogh won (or maybe only finished on the podium) the Danish under 21 title in about 2000. She also qualified for the European Under 21 Championship around the same time ahead of, amongst others, this weekends GP winner, Matej Zagar who was only a reserve.

Thank you for your courteous response SCB. :approve: