British Speedway Forum

Women Riders In Speedway

I suppose Crescent Girl should be added to that list as well :lol:

Has she not had the operation though. Edited by Fromafar
  • Like 1

Must have been some other girls ... the KPs have given up on the amateur racing for good reason. I saw Francesca at Peterborough the other week. She still couldn't slide the bike (she hasn't improved in the five years or so that I have seen her) and was half a lap behind the other girls, who were still slower than the MDL riders.

Musta bin, bin out of that particular loop a while. Once travelled to an away meet with Hull, 1980 or 81, forget where and the Vikings ran R/R so borrowed a local National League (then division 2) rider as No.8. He didn't get a ride in the match but rode in the 2nd half and in 3 rides never got a slide on once, and he was a league rider....

Musta bin, bin out of that particular loop a while. Once travelled to an away meet with Hull, 1980 or 81, forget where and the Vikings ran R/R so borrowed a local National League (then division 2) rider as No.8. He didn't get a ride in the match but rode in the 2nd half and in 3 rides never got a slide on once, and he was a league rider....

The standard in speedway, in all leagues down to the MDL etc., has improved incredibly over the years. A present day rider who is just good enough to ride in the DLs would have been a second division heat leader 40 years ago! And people moan about 'dumbing down' ...

• Like 1

The standard in speedway, in all leagues down to the MDL etc., has improved incredibly over the years. A present day rider who is just good enough to ride in the DLs would have been a second division heat leader 40 years ago! And people moan about 'dumbing down' ...

Getting slightly off topic but have to disagree. There are current riders in the NL who wouldn't have got a sniff 10 years ago and same can be said up the leagues. Im not saying that entertainment has suffered for it but equality and ability of riders is largely apart from where it has previously been.

I've read some crap on here in my time but this one is up there with the best. At NO time in my years watching NL/2nd division racing did I see any rider who was incapable of sliding the bike hold down a team place. Convenient that you can't remember the year...or the track...or the rider. Total dung.

Hayley Perrault apparently finished 3rd in the recent meeting at Ventura in California.

Admittedly, Greg Hancock's older brother finished second in his first meeting in over 30 years, so I'm not entirely sure what the standard was like :D

For many years I rode around on the backs of motorcycles. This was primarily because I couldn't convince anyone to teach me. I was seen as "not a very good driver" mostly. I had given up asking after a while. It is represented as a very hard thing to do and quite dangerous. To me, the risk of learning was pretty scary. Late in life, I broke down and took a class to learn to ride (best move in a long time, although for weird reasons). I haven't managed to kill myself yet.

Do My Essays

IMO it is shameful the way that the development (if there ever has ever been any in a serious vein) of women in speedway has been handled. Indeed, could it POSSIBLY be discriminatory that the BSPA have not dedicated more resources to helping women's speedway in the UK evolve?

I don't advocate women competing in the same races as men but a specific class of speedway devoted to them in much the same way as they have separate participation as happens in athletics, football, cricket and rugby union for example.

May be a Development League style competition would give women's speedway a much needed boost.

Edited by Guest

Why would the bspa be expected to fund this? Surely this would fall more under the remit of a national governing body?

Do you have a link to the development policy forcwomen drivers for say banger racing?

Out of interest, how many teams do you think a women's development league would contain? And how much do you think each rider would need to pay to race to cover the track hirage etc?

Alice Hart rode Speedway and was in charge of Belle Vue Speedway in the 50's

That's interesting about Alice Hart - thanks for mentioning it KIRKYLANE. When and where did Alic Hart ride speedway?

The only riders with the Hart surname I can find with Belle Vue Links are pre-war brothers Oliver and Stan Hart. I remember Alice Hart in a much respected managerial role at Belle Vue in the late 1940s and early 1950s.

Edited by Guest

The sport is too brutal for women to ever do any real good, we are the gentle, fairer sex 😊

That's interesting about Alice Hart - thanks for mentioning it KIRKYLANE. When and where did Alic Hart ride speedway?

The only riders with the Hart surname I can find with Belle Vue Links are pre-war brothers Oliver and Stan Hart. I remember Alice Hart in a much respected managerial role at Belle Vue in the late 1940s and early 1950s.

I cannot back this up with evidence but my memory says she rode.

I will check with a Belle Vue guru friend

Newport vs Somerset in the BLC in 2003. Maik Groen didnt turn up for Somerset so they needed a rider, Brendon MacKay was their number 7 so they used his mechanic/girlfriends Jessica Lamb. She could slide to be fair but certianly rtode within her self, to the point that in heat 8 Chris Schramm fell off, got back on and passed her for 3rd!

Im sure she had a spin at Oxford one week and looked ok, far better than me TBH but she clipped the fence just coming out of the 4th bend and flew like a ragdoll toward the centre Green just narrowly missed hitting her head on the armco barrier that had been fitted for the gokarts.