British Speedway Forum

Women Riders In Speedway

Forwarded message sent by Jessica Lamb ==== "Thanks guys.

"I last raced for Plymouth in 2006.
"Unfortunately like many speedway riders I couldn't ride my bike as well as I used to after a nasty arm injury in 2003 at Somerset which still plagues me today. I did a bit of grasstrack in 2004/2005 and that made me want to try again in 2006.

"I did do an amateur meeting in 2007 which confirmed I just couldn't hold onto my bike properly. And yes I was a British Cycle speedway champion in 2007 but again I've struggled with my arm.
"I very much enjoyed my speedway up until the injury and have lost touch with speedway these days. I'm delighted to see how many girls give it a go these days with the ladies days organised by Alan Critcher at Sittingbourne. And the chances he's given to Carley from Australia and Hayley from the USA to come and do some demo races here. Shame visas stop them competing for real."

Dont forget the rides that Peter Collins sister had at Belle Vue. I believe her opponent on the occasions she rode was Chris Mortons sister but I am willing for someone to correct me if necessary.

Dont forget the rides that Peter Collins sister had at Belle Vue. I believe her opponent on the occasions she rode was Chris Mortons sister but I am willing for someone to correct me if necessary.

...I think that Simon Cross's sister took part in one of the Telford Meetings?

Edited by steve roberts

I seem to remember Ann Collins rode against Pauline Bastable on one occasion. And yes, Julie Cross, a grass track rider, did indeed ride at Telford in the late 80s.

Edited by Dave Goddard
  • Like 1

Also back in the mists of time I remember Ove Fundin's daughter riding in one of the indoor Wembley meetings.

21728086_1986790184668088_34306902507761

‎Forwarded by Paul Flanders, Speedway USA ==
We welcome Audrey Dupuy as a new member of Speedway USA!
Edited by Guest

Remember the American Team declaring a rider's mechanic in their starting line up once...can't recall whether he was called to race or what his known ability was on a speedway bike.

If I'm remembering correctly that was a test match at Belle Vue the day after the 85 world final. Think he was John Cook's mechanic and actually a waterskier. Conditions on the day suited him.

Montana Jowett rode at Scunthorpe .

As did Rachel Helliwell, and a certain Kate McAuley( Mason) who rode at Hackney and Weymouth at the same time as Mark Loram. Kate only stopped riding about 4to5 years ago.

Edited by Tsunami

Also back in the mists of time I remember Ove Fundin's daughter riding in one of the indoor Wembley meetings.

Indeed she did. Madeline Fundin wearing Tony Briggs' leathers rode match races against Bobbi Hunter, a lady rider from USA....

If I'm remembering correctly that was a test match at Belle Vue the day after the 85 world final. Think he was John Cook's mechanic and actually a waterskier. Conditions on the day suited him.

Mickey Rooney?

Only meeting we ever left before the last heat, awful conditions and looked certain to be called off after a crash in about heat 14.

One name that is often forgotten is Maxine Hill (now Beck). Maxine had a few outings for the Hackney juniors without making a huge impression. When it came to grasstrack however, she was so different, and was able to compete with the men on an equal basis. I saw her do well at a meeting in Caterham, which was Tony Primmer's first outing on the grass.

I actually worked with Maxine at Merton Council (we were in different departments, but worked in the same building), and we used to go down and play darts at lunchtime.

She retired after sustaining a couple of nasty injuries. Really nice girl.

Steve

Edited by chunky

One name that is often forgotten is Maxine Hill (now Beck). Maxine had a few outings for the Hackney juniors without making a huge impression. When it came to grasstrack however, she was so different, and was able to compete with the men on an equal basis. I saw her do well at a meeting in Caterham, which was Tony Primmer's first outing on the grass.

I actually worked with Maxine at Merton Council (we were in different departments, but worked in the same building), and we used to go down and play darts at lunchtime.

Steve

CRUMBS!!!! :shock::shock::shock:

You are supposed to throw the Darts at the Board - not her. :nono::nono::nono:

One name that is often forgotten(apart from those other threads that mention all the women riders!!!! :rofl: ) is Czech lady rider turned model turned singer Lenka Kopalova

Steve

I remember 'Mad' Max. My mate asked her out in the Vic Harding Lounge one night..I can't remember what her reply was!

Also June Heath (daughter of that 'Hackney institution' Terry) was another of the fairer sex to do a few laps.

There used to be about 6 of us Terry's working at the Wick's Saturday training days, It was a bit like a Monty Python sketch...G'day Bruce. :lol: