British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Cycle Speedway Activity

When I was doing cycle speedway in the mid/late 60's it was more like those black/white photos. I do envy thos in the modern era, smart tracks, full safety equipment etc.

Thanks for the link gustix.

We used to have a fair few gangs of us into speedway so there was always a meeting of some sorts going on. Amazing what I used be able to do on my many old push bikes, trying to imitate PC and Mort. Coming a cropper many times but bouncing back up again. I struggle to tie my shoe lace or put my pants on these days

3318 News

3 April The second round of the South West and Wales Spring Cup produced some great racing on a perfect sunny spring day. Newport ran out very narrow winners with 93.5 points to Horspath's 92 and Poole on 82.5. Many youngsters were on show, along with the more experienced heads, which resulted in some cracking racing and plenty of racing incidents. A race between Newport's Chris Davies and Dan Bock against Poole's Will Bristow and Callum Smith gave the match that rare dead heat, where referee Colin Simmons couldn't split Callum and Dan on the line. [ 215 more words ]

White City, London, cycle speedway crash photo? Probably late 1940s or early 1950s.

17796344_448753228797538_727452477237636

The first round of the South East and East British Youth & Junior League (BYJL) took place at Kesgrave on Saturday 8th April. The weather was ideal for racing being still, warm and dry. It was good to see riders from Great Blakenham, Hethersett, Norwich, Ipswich and Kesgrave on the entry list but special mention must go to our new friends from Hellingly who made the long trip from the south coast with eight riders. [ 520 more words ]

3318 News Graham Robins was on hand once again in Poole to deliver some more fantastic photos of the South West and Wales Spring Cup. Poole won on the day ahead of Newport and Horspath, but Newport did enough to take the crown on aggregate, with Poole second and Horspath third. Round Three Result Poole 100, Newport 89, Horspath 78 Spring Cup Final Standings Newport 276, Poole 267, Horspath 256

Bill Pittingale at the Beavers Lane track, Hammersmith, west London in the early 1950s.

15192577_379318149074380_754436905390779

Bill Pittingale had second-half speedway rides in the late 1950s and early 1950s at California-in-England, Aldershot, Eastbourne and Wimbledon. He also had some meetings in the same period in France for the Victor Boston Group.