British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Speedway/long Track Sidecar Activity

Don't understand how for an FIM event you can get a GB/USA pairing or some of the other combinations.Did they just put pairs together for this event or do these pairings ride the whole season together?

Not sure of the FIM international regulation regarding sidecar passengers and licensing.

However, i can tell you that the NZ rider Andrew Buchanan and his Australian swinger, Denny Cox are a permanent team.

The American Brian Motis had Nathan McFadden (Aust.) as his swinger for the whole of the Australian campaign.

Britain, Paul Whitelam teamed up with Damian Egan, a very experienced young passenger from Adelaide Aust. for his Oceania and WC campaign.

As a cost saving measure Whitelam didn't bring his own bike or passenger and rode an Australian machine.

Trent Headland and Darryl Whetstone are also a permanent team. Whetstone is a Brit. who has been living in Australia for a couple of years.

There was a second British rider, Mick cave and his passenger entered in the Oceania and WC. Unfortunately he broke his hand in a crash in the first Oceania round at Undera and did not compete at Gillman.

As you can see some of the teams are formed as a matter of convenience, or cost saving measure. These riders have fantastic commitment to bring a sidecar outfit, passenger and team across the world, especially when speedway sidecar racing is totally amateur. Australian teams visited the UK for many seasons in the 90s and 00 (and before), so hopefully it will gain some momentum. The FIM oversee the Oceania and WC meetings, so maybe the regulations allow for multinational teams and licensing.

Edited by Ozrik
  • Like 1

2017 Australian sidecar action at Gillman Speedway, Adelaide, South Australia. Any ideas as to who the competitors are?

17884111_452391258433735_406220402771331

The riders are:

R - Dave Bottrell QLD

B - Trent Headland SA

W - Tyler Moon QLD

Y - Justin Plaisted SA Dont know when.

Yes indeed. The Dutch authorities refused to licence anyone to race 1000cc sidecars. They class it to be too dangerous. So Roel took out a German licence (I rode as normal on my ACU licence). When the FIM Gold Trophy was launched Germany were granted a place in the final. We went through the German qualifiers and made it to the final three times (IOW, Wayville in Adelaide and Kings Lynn). Oh alright, we were the only 1000cc team riding on a German licence so we were seeded to the final. But I did ride in an FIM world championship final three times. They can't take that away from me (cue a song!). :)

I saw you ride at Wayville showground in Adelaide, bout 07. I still have the programme around here somewhere. I think i recall the announcer saying that Roel Leimburg was a dutch rider. Anyway, was good to see someone from continental Europe out here taking part. You really got that yellow beast moving, just off the pace of the Aussie teams. As a spectator, always good to see international teams involved. The safety has improved a lot, the new frames are more stable i think.

17854941_1540642192637267_74793265363913

Bennie Ludolphy
Team 55, Carvill and Noble. Jawa.
This sidecar outfit is used on both Long Track and Grass Track. An excellent photo.

Not like this thing, which looks like it has been put together from a Meccano set. Probably cheaper to run than 1000cc speedway sidecar.

Edited by Ozrik

Gustix, all you ever do is post links, for a supposed journalist you don't have much of a voice of your own

You make a valid comment False dawn in regard to sidecar speedway in the UK. TBH my knowledge of the modern day UK sidecar scene so far as racing on speedway tracks is concerned is rather limited.

From what you say, it does appear to be a rather complex situation. Much of my interest has been influenced by the advert (posted earlier in this thread) in regard to the UK Sidecar Speedway Championship.

​In the mid to late 1950s I followed the sidecar results from Belle Vue with some interest - that's in the times when then Belle Vue 'bossman' used to present extra formulas in the second-half of meetings - besides sidecars he also gave track time to 500cc 'Parker' midget cars.

Please make full use in passing on False dawn what background you can provide to the UK sidecar speedway scene. From a thread point of view it is lucky that there is sidecar speedway input available from Australia and New Zealand, and possibly the USA. And so far as long track sidecars are concerned I feel sure we will have much from Germany.

However, let us hope there will be more encouragement towards sidecar speedway in Britain in the future?

Details of the 2017 Sidecar Speedway Championship rounds:

:::::::17504676_10212093104782042_8645118490525

I must confess that I have little knowledge of UK sidecar racing on either grass track or speedway, although I have vague recollections of the sport being staged in the 1950s at Belle Vue, when Johnnie Hoskins was the promoter. Offhand, I think the top driver in those days may have been Bill Boddice?

In regard to the Sidecar Speedway Championships for this season: I found a previous list of winners (as per the Link) but this only covers up to the 2010. Were there championships in subsequent seasons to the current period or has the championship been uncontested over the past seven seasons? If so, can any BSF member produce a list of subsequent champions please? Or have I called up the wrong winners list?

http://grasstrackgb.co.uk/british-sidecar-speedway-championship/

Edited by Guest