British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Speedway/long Track Sidecar Activity

Bumpy ride????Looks like the passenger is hanging on for dear life

2903-2.jpg

Don't understand how for an FIM event you can get a GB/USA pairing or some of the other combinations.Did they just put pairs together for this event or do these pairings ride the whole season together?

It does not really matter what nationality the sidecar passenger has. The nationality of the passenger is not officially regarded in sidecar racing. It is only the driver whose nationality is officially represented in these FIM sidecar championship meetings.

This is a litte bit like the Manager(Coach/Trainer in international Football (World Cup / Euro), for example at the EURO 2016 Iceland had a Swedish coach, and Scotland once had the German Berti Vogts. That does not matter.

It does not really matter what nationality the sidecar passenger has. The nationality of the passenger is not officially regarded in sidecar racing. It is only the driver whose nationality is officially represented in these FIM sidecar championship meetings.

This is a litte bit like the Manager(Coach/Trainer in international Football (World Cup / Euro), for example at the EURO 2016 Iceland had a Swedish coach, and Scotland once had the German Berti Vogts. That does not matter.

Take your word on that first bit,but that second part is pretty poor.In the Ice Speedway, Austria had a manager/coach from Swindon,but the riders had to have Austrian citizenship ;)

Yes, in speedway team events, all the riders have to be of that nationality they represent. In other sports it may be different. I guess it is not so strict in Rugby Union, but that's another thing.

Anyway, in sidecar speedway it is just the drivers, but not their passengers, it seems. I can live with that.

Anyway, it is not me who makes up these rules, it is the F.I.M., and You will know we once had a "Team Europe" in a World Ice Racing Final in Russia, and a "Team Adria" in a Speedway World Cup qualifying round. This makes the mixed nationalities of sidecar passengers easily acceptable to me.

• Like 1

Good to have someone on the thread who knows what they are talking about :t:;)

From Gillman Speedway, Adelaide, South Australia: Darrin Treloar and Blake Cox.

17761171_451403335199194_159545890613528

Yes, in speedway team events, all the riders have to be of that nationality they represent. In other sports it may be different. I guess it is not so strict in Rugby Union, but that's another thing.

Anyway, in sidecar speedway it is just the drivers, but not their passengers, it seems. I can live with that.

Anyway, it is not me who makes up these rules, it is the F.I.M., and You will know we once had a "Team Europe" in a World Ice Racing Final in Russia, and a "Team Adria" in a Speedway World Cup qualifying round. This makes the mixed nationalities of sidecar passengers easily acceptable to me.

I love it.....

Try this one. I'm the passenger and I'm English. My driver, Roel Liemburg is Dutch (Fries actually, but that's in the Netherands). We rode together in 3 FIM World Championship Finals and represented........

Germany.

Good eh?

Well not really. But there were good reasons.

I love it.....

Try this one. I'm the passenger and I'm English. My driver, Roel Liemburg is Dutch (Fries actually, but that's in the Netherands). We rode together in 3 FIM World Championship Finals and represented........

Germany.

Good eh?

Well not really. But there were good reasons.

Were you competing on a German licence?

Were you competing on a German licence?

Yes indeed. The Dutch authorities refused to licence anyone to race 1000cc sidecars. They class it to be too dangerous. So Roel took out a German licence (I rode as normal on my ACU licence). When the FIM Gold Trophy was launched Germany were granted a place in the final. We went through the German qualifiers and made it to the final three times (IOW, Wayville in Adelaide and Kings Lynn). Oh alright, we were the only 1000cc team riding on a German licence so we were seeded to the final. But I did ride in an FIM world championship final three times. They can't take that away from me (cue a song!). :)
  • Like 2

Ledbury grass track, Sunday, April 9, 2017:

:::::::::

17835123_1891533941071314_37024687378343
17835110_1891534191071289_74736075610275
Edited by Guest

It's in Holland, not Altrip.

Hence the apparently - one would hope grasstrack and sidecar experts on the list would have piped up before now and not relied on someone doing a reverse image search on google to point them in the right direction

2017 Australian sidecar action at Gillman Speedway, Adelaide, South Australia. Any ideas as to who the competitors are?

17884111_452391258433735_406220402771331

As the OP to this thread, and looking at the variation of formulas using it in regard to images, IMO in future only images and information relative to speedway sidecars and long track sidecars should be posted in this thread.

In the hope of the co-operation of other BSF members who are genuinely interested in sidecar racing, so far as sidecar grass track images are concerned, please in future Post these in the thread GRASS TRACK ACTIVITY.

Please note this thread has been retitled as Speedway/long track Sidecar Activity.

Edited by Guest