British Speedway Forum

assume all other venues' contracts expire at end of 2017?

Yes, or have contracts where I could not find info about.

When MCC complete Belle Vue as promised and with the addition of temporary stands on the bottom bends, the capacity is the same as Prague and just short of a few others.

APART from exposure, a great day out for 40,000 plus fans and a fee paid to the BSPA ...

Speedway should be for the many, not the 40,000.

Surely Belle Vue has to be in consideration as a 2nd UK venue?

When MCC complete Belle Vue as promised and with the addition of temporary stands on the bottom bends, the capacity is the same as Prague and just short of a few others.

Roads, Car Parks, Facilities, Space etc all go against the NSS but the big problem is how much it would cost to put on and certainly be run at a loss

Cardiff and Warsaw are brilliant GPs run in massive stadiums and under a roof if required and the man made tracks are now very good. We should be looking at more like this and while the 89 final in Munich was terrible on top of the running track, I'm sure with the way football clubs are now we could see stadiums in Germany, Italy etc coming into the calendar in future years.

• Like 2

Roads, Car Parks, Facilities, Space etc all go against the NSS but the big problem is how much it would cost to put on and certainly be run at a loss

Cardiff and Warsaw are brilliant GPs run in massive stadiums and under a roof if required and the man made tracks are now very good. We should be looking at more like this and while the 89 final in Munich was terrible on top of the running track, I'm sure with the way football clubs are now we could see stadiums in Germany, Italy etc coming into the calendar in future years.

Think Warsaw and Cardiff are the only 2 long term stadium GP's . I expect this to be the last GP at Stockholm and the Aussie GP to eventually go the same way due to costs. After the Gelsenkirchen fiasco there won't be another stadium GP in Germany and in Italy the GP's were dropped because of poor crowds.

opening round should be at NSS. British Speedway is the best set up at that time of year

opening round should be at NSS. British Speedway is the best set up at that time of year

With the English weather in April in mind, this sounds like a high risk of being postponed.

Edited by Ghostwalker
  • Like 1

Speedway should be for the many, not the 40,000.

WHO are the many? Not anywhere near 40,000 people regularly attending speedway in the UK.

• Like 1

WHO are the many? Not anywhere near 40,000 people regularly attending speedway in the UK.

EASILY 40K speedway fans in the UK whether they attend weekly or not!

EASILY 40K speedway fans in the UK whether they attend weekly or not!

You are probably right though there's fewer and fewer actually getting their backside trackside these days.

Guest compost

I now this sounds daft and would need a lot of work but what's wrong with looking at the big London stadiums such as Wembley, Emirates, Olympic (in fact at any of bigger London footy stadiums after all aren't they under utilised over the summer in general) for a second British GP ?

If they can put a decent track down, for a ONE off event, in Cardiff then they could do so at any other stadium (ish I suppose on that statement but you get my drift).

A World Final (sorry GP) at Wembley would get a seriously decent crowd.

Maybe Cardiff have an exclusive GB deal ?