British Speedway Forum

Speedway seems to be its own worst enemy and shuns exposure keeping to its own world of tight knit media franchise.

To hell with any one or organisation that tries to advertise Speedway!!

When do the remaining dates get announced Phil? Also do you think Amsterdam could be an option for next year

SOON after Melbourne I would guess. Don't think Amsterdam is an option although did hear a rumour about a speed skating stadium in Holland.

• Like 1

NOT sure about your last comment. The novelty has worn off and riders aren't over-enthusiastic about travelling round the world at the end of a tiring season. If NZ does return (not next year) it will hopefully start the season when everyone including riders are fresh and roaring to start a new campaign.

Torun, in my view, is perfect for the finale. Terrific stadium and track, full-house making an electric atmosphere, speedway mad town, what's not to like?

IT was ...

Amazing how its now great to get back to Torun Phil when 3 years ago it was so fantastic to branch out into new frontiers in Australia. Pretty poor how you Phil trumpet these GP's then diss them after they pull their money out. ditto New Zealand. Didn't hear 3 years ago that the riders didn't want to travel but now the plugs being pulled its an issue, these supposed issues only surface when the money stops As for the riders, every staging country can't have a world champion in the series, things change ,riders come and go, how many World Champions have Poland had in the last 20 years but still their crowds are the strongest, likewise GB, the only 2 major markets left in speedway and the only 2 able to maintain a stadium GP. Feel sorry for the minor nations and the way they are treated by BSI, the likes of Daugvapils, Krsko.Gorican, Picked up when needed and them dropped like a hot potato when BSI get a better offer, will there ever be a GP in Riga ?

Amazing how its now great to get back to Torun Phil when 3 years ago it was so fantastic to branch out into new frontiers in Australia. Pretty poor how you Phil trumpet these GP's then diss them after they pull their money out. ditto New Zealand. Didn't hear 3 years ago that the riders didn't want to travel but now the plugs being pulled its an issue, these supposed issues only surface when the money stops As for the riders, every staging country can't have a world champion in the series, things change ,riders come and go, how many World Champions have Poland had in the last 20 years but still their crowds are the strongest, likewise GB, the only 2 major markets left in speedway and the only 2 able to maintain a stadium GP. Feel sorry for the minor nations and the way they are treated by BSI, the likes of Daugvapils, Krsko.Gorican, Picked up when needed and them dropped like a hot potato when BSI get a better offer, will there ever be a GP in Riga ?

COULD be one next year. There has already been a world rallycross event at the same stadium in Riga. Don't understand most of your rant. What SGPs do I trumpet? Have never thought it a good idea to end the series in Melbourne, especially not a five-year contract, which now seems unlikely to run its course anyway. Some of the venues use you mention aren't dropped like a hot potato, they leave of their own accord.

Have never thought it a good idea to end the series in Melbourne, especially not a five-year contract

Can this be the same Phil Rising who said back on 9 October 2014 that...

"Know a few people there who wouldn't normally cross the road fro watch speedway but attend just about everything that is on at the Etihad."

and...

"IF anyone turns down a trip to Australia to ride in one of the world's greatest stadiums in a great city they shouldn't be riding anyway."

and even...

"They say that many people in Melbourne will come along regardless of whether they know anything about speedway because it is at the Etihad.'

http://www.speedway-forum.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=77991&page=2&do=findComment&comment=2528969

http://www.speedway-forum.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=77991&page=8&do=findComment&comment=2683145

Shurely shome mishtake? :P

Some of the venues use you mention aren't dropped like a hot potato, they leave of their own accord.

Then I think you have to ask why they're leaving of their own accord.

Some tracks are invariably going to come and go, but if you look at 5 years ago, just 5 of the venues then are still in the series (Cardiff, Prague, Torun, Gorzow and Malilla - and it's questionable to count Malilla as that dropped out for a year in-between). Go back 10 years, and there's also only 5 venues from then, 3 of which havent held a GP continuously. So it's just Cardiff and Prague that have held a GP every year.

Now look at F1, and despite all the new tracks being added, 13 of the current 20 tracks were holding GPs ten years ago.

Edited by Humphrey Appleby
  • Like 1

Can this be the same Phil Rising who said back on 9 October 2014 that...

"Know a few people there who wouldn't normally cross the road fro watch speedway but attend just about everything that is on at the Etihad."

and...

"IF anyone turns down a trip to Australia to ride in one of the world's greatest stadiums in a great city they shouldn't be riding anyway."

and even...

"They say that many people in Melbourne will come along regardless of whether they know anything about speedway because it is at the Etihad.'

http://www.speedway-forum.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=77991&page=2&do=findComment&comment=2528969

http://www.speedway-forum.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=77991&page=8&do=findComment&comment=2683145

Shurely shome mishtake? :P

Then I think you have to ask why they're leaving of their own accord.

Some tracks are invariably going to come and go, but if you look at 5 years ago, just 5 of the venues then are still in the series (Cardiff, Prague, Torun, Gorzow and Malilla - and it's questionable to count Malilla as that dropped out for a year in-between). Go back 10 years, and there's also only 5 venues from then, 3 of which havent held a GP continuously. So it's just Cardiff and Prague that have held a GP every year.

Now look at F1, and despite all the new tracks being added, 13 of the current 20 tracks were holding GPs ten years ago.

And where on earth does he say its the greatest place to finish the series?!

Even though I disagree with Phil on keeping the series Finale there, you cant accuse his of saying things he hasn't said.

I think Målilla will either be on the July date before Cardiff or early August.

I can`t - I think they will take another break from hosting a GP.

Think I read somewhere that they should be hosting later in the year, maybe in september like in 2015.

Think I read somewhere that they should be hosting later in the year, maybe in september like in 2015.

We shall see- thought the crowd looked well down this year. I personally don`t think we have seen the last of Stockholm- and I can see the Tele 2 arena being a new venue for 2018.

And where on earth does he say its the greatest place to finish the series?!

Even though I disagree with Phil on keeping the series Finale there, you cant accuse his of saying things he hasn't said.

Phillipe also said somewhere that the Ethiad Stadium was only available in October which practically means it has to be the last GP. So if you're going to big it up, you can't then claim that you didn't think it was a good idea to end the series there.

Again, although I disagree with his point of view, you cannot just make up that he said stuff!

Out of interest, where do you think they should take the GP Series? Genuine question not being facetious.