British Speedway Forum

Would those stadiums accept disruption to their surfaces? Cardiff is palleted and easy to remove/replace. Are they?

What evidence is there that Wembley would get 'a seriously decent crowd' ?

Cardiff has had a new pitch for 3 years now which isn`t palletised - it is part artificial fibres- and the pitch is covered now not removed

Edited by racers and royals

Sure they could but how much would it cost to rent the stadium? I suspect that 30-40k fans Isn't enough to get a positive (financial) result from such a gp.

West Ham reportedly pay GBP 2.5 million per season to rent the Olympic Stadium, so that works out at something like 110,000 per match. However, that's considered to be a heavily discounted cost.

I've seen figures suggesting that it costs GBP 250-500k per day to rent Wembley, who also take 10% of gate receipts. So with the extra days needed to install the track, I'd think that would be pretty unaffordable on crowds of 40,000.

Wouldnt it just be extra revenue?

I now this sounds daft and would need a lot of work but what's wrong with looking at the big London stadiums such as Wembley, Emirates, Olympic (in fact at any of bigger London footy stadiums after all aren't they under utilised over the summer in general) for a second British GP ?

If they can put a decent track down, for a ONE off event, in Cardiff then they could do so at any other stadium (ish I suppose on that statement but you get my drift).

A World Final (sorry GP) at Wembley would get a seriously decent crowd.

Maybe Cardiff have an exclusive GB deal ?

No guarantee of a larger crowd

Much more expensive stadium hire

Risk of postponement due to weather

No government funding, unlike Wales.

Can't think of any reason why BSI don't take the chance...

• Like 2

WEMBLEY ain't going to happen and why should it? BSI don't want it and neither do the fans.

But there will be changes elsewhere in 2018.

Heard Prague won't be one of the venues next year. Don't know how true that is however.

Heard Prague won't be one of the venues next year. Don't know how true that is however.

depends who told you.

AFTER a full house this year and their contract sitll at least a year to run would doubt that

WEMBLEY ain't going to happen and why should it? BSI don't want it and neither do the fans.

If the Welsh government dropped their support for Cardiff and made it less financially viable, I'm sure what the fans wanted wouldn't really come into it. They've never really been top of the list of priorities in the past.

Similarly, if London fronted up a better subsidy package (as it did for West Ham), it would be amazing how the perceived problems with London would disappear. Indeed, had IMG(UK) been successful in obtaining the rights to the Olympic Stadium (instead of nearly bankrupting themselves), it may have all been different now.

If the Welsh government dropped their support for Cardiff and made it less financially viable, I'm sure what the fans wanted wouldn't really come into it. They've never really been top of the list of priorities in the past.

Similarly, if London fronted up a better subsidy package (as it did for West Ham), it would be amazing how the perceived problems with London would disappear. Indeed, had IMG(UK) been successful in obtaining the rights to the Olympic Stadium (instead of nearly bankrupting themselves), it may have all been different now.

DOUBT it. A roof is imperative. Imagine what the last GP Saturday in Cardiff would have been like without fans being able to get away from the foul weather and sit in comfort to watch. And for the actual meeting to be unaffected by the elements. Plus neither Wembley nor the Olympic Stadium can provide the fans with the sort of bars, restaurants, clubs extra in such close proximity. The only down side is the continued greedy attitude of the local hotels but as far as they are concerned that's business.

Doesn't help when some well known speedway companies mass buy rooms to sell them to fans at a premium. :nono:

Edited by marky
  • Like 1

Plus neither Wembley nor the Olympic Stadium can provide the fans with the sort of bars, restaurants, clubs extra in such close proximity.

Well I wouldn't entirely agree with that, if you've been to either location recently. Admittedly they're not right in the centre of town, but they're only a short trip away on multiple transport links.

Wasn't aware that Krsko, Daugavpils, Prague, Horsens, Malilla, Gorzow, Teterow and Torun had roofs either.

Well I wouldn't entirely agree with that, if you've been to either location recently. Admittedly they're not right in the centre of town, but they're only a short trip away on multiple transport links.

Wasn't aware that Krsko, Daugavpils, Prague, Horsens, Malilla, Gorzow, Teterow and Torun had roofs either.

Torun has- 80% covers the track.

Torun has- 80% covers the track.

Torun yes but not the others. Målilla doesn't even have roof over the seating/standing areas.

If assume though that all those venues are considerably cheaper than a London venue, and most would be expecting far smaller crowds. And of course a rain off at other venues would screw the promoter not BSI