British Speedway Forum

If assume though that all those venues are considerably cheaper than a London venue, and most would be expecting far smaller crowds. And of course a rain off at other venues would screw the promoter not BSI

Undoubtedly, but I think the last point hits the nail on the head.

DOUBT it. A roof is imperative. Imagine what the last GP Saturday in Cardiff would have been like without fans being able to get away from the foul weather and sit in comfort to watch. And for the actual meeting to be unaffected by the elements. Plus neither Wembley nor the Olympic Stadium can provide the fans with the sort of bars, restaurants, clubs extra in such close proximity. The only down side is the continued greedy attitude of the local hotels but as far as they are concerned that's business.

This is true. Stepping out of the Stadium and being right in the "Mixer" is a great thing for the fans. The Olympic Stadium is much better than Wembley on that front but still not as good as Cardiff for sure. The Roof is key tho. Not Sure if the Olympic's roof would cover the track like Torun's roof does, but it's still not quite the same.

Wasn't aware that Krsko, Daugavpils, Prague, Horsens, Malilla, Gorzow, Teterow and Torun had roofs either.

They obviously dont but that doesnt mean its a good idea to leave a stadium that does tho...

Guest compost

WEMBLEY ain't going to happen and why should it? BSI don't want it and neither do the fans.

But there will be changes elsewhere in 2018.

Whilst I respect your opinion do I disagree with the part highlighted. Why do you think that fans would not want to see a GP at Wembley (or at another big London venue) ? As I said in an earlier post I would seriously consider going to a London GP whilst having no intention whatsoever of going to Cardiff again.

I very much doubt that Speedway will ever be seen in the British capital again (for many reasons), however I don't see any reason not to suggest it.

Guest GiveusaB

Whilst I respect your opinion do I disagree with the part highlighted. Why do you think that fans would not want to see a GP at Wembley (or at another big London venue) ? As I said in an earlier post I would seriously consider going to a London GP whilst having no intention whatsoever of going to Cardiff again.

I very much doubt that Speedway will ever be seen in the British capital again (for many reasons), however I don't see any reason not to suggest it.

Why would anyone want to back London? Its a sh#t hole!

I think the issue with London is the same as with Stockholm. Some fans do want to go there but the event risks to drown in all the other things going on in the city.
I also think that a London Stadium GP would draw plenty of fans from Cardiff and that neither would then be profitable.

The organisers need to select wherever possible track with a proven record of providing good racing surfaces. The only way to sell SGP is making the product as exciting as possible. we've al watched SGP's where you know after the first heat that the match will be painful to watch. Cardiff and Warsaw seem to have the temporary tracks nailed and they need to be on every year. My preference would be to prioritise say 8 GPs on proven good tracks - Mallila, Vojens, Torun etc and then hawk 3 or 4 rounds to Slovakia, Italy, Finland, Latvia etc.

Also as a shout (but perhaps not in 2018) why not Togliatti in Russia? They've held SEC and draw a decent crowd on a well prepared track. Sure they must've been offered a round

Would rather have a second British GP at Belle Vue, & take a chance on the weather. Imagine this years highly competitive line up going for it on that amazing track.

• Like 3

Torun yes but not the others. Målilla doesn't even have roof over the seating/standing areas.

Got very wet a few times at Malilla including last year. Like going there though

Wemmbley of old was a special place to be - any one who didnt get there has missed a treat.

If a modern day GP was to be held there I doubt I would be up for going - Cardiff is easy to get to, city centre, plenty going on for those who want it

• Like 1

Well I wouldn't entirely agree with that, if you've been to either location recently. Admittedly they're not right in the centre of town, but they're only a short trip away on multiple transport links.

Wasn't aware that Krsko, Daugavpils, Prague, Horsens, Malilla, Gorzow, Teterow and Torun had roofs either.

YOUR last sentence is irrelevant... we were comparing Wembley and the Olympic Stadium with the Principality. And why use short transport links when you can be on the doorstep. The fact that the British fans like Cardiff is underlined by the fact that over 10,000 tickets have already been sold for 2018.

I actually think the use of big multi-purpose stadiums in the SGP will diminish quite soon. With the dearth of superstar riders in both Denmark and Sweden and the fact that Melbourne is so far away from speedway's heartland in Australia will make stadiums like Parken, the Friends Arena and the Etihad unviable.

There is little wrong with the SGP product but it is dependent on having quality riders and sadly other than Poland they are likely to be in short supply in the near future.

Interest in speedway as a whole in Denmark is in a slump without Nicki Pedersen as a headline act and Sweden have never replaced Tony Rickardsson. Unlike in Britain, where fans don't desert their GP if there isn't a great expectation of a home winner, that isn't the case in Denmark and Sweden. Poland had a mini-slump when Gollob faded but there has been a huge resurgence there because of the new breed that have swept to the fore.

Where is the next American, the next Russian or the next Slovenian or Slovak come to that. They don't exist and without figures to aspire to youngsters in all these countries will not envisage speedway as a worthwhile career.

Sweden, by their own admission, have no outstanding youngster. Nor, at this stage, do Denmark. There are some Australians who might make the grade but are we seriously expecting them to be the next Leigh Adams or Jason Crump?

In Britain we can but hope that Dan Bewley will rise above all the current disarray and step up to the plate but the system here, or lack of it, does little to ensure that is the case.

Sadly the country with all the riders and all the stadia is Poland.

Wemmbley of old was a special place to be - any one who didnt get there has missed a treat.

The new Wembley is a much nicer stadium - amongst the best in the world IMO - and transport links are much improved. The surrounding environment is still in a state of transition, but once the plan is completed will make for a reasonable experience.

I went to the old Wembley many times for all sorts of events, although unfortunately never for speedway. Whilst not the worst stadium compared to its counterparts, it was frankly getting pretty decrepit and inadequate. There was something about the twin towers and white walls that did create a certain aura from afar, but once you got close and realised it was surrounded by old warehouses and a concrete making plant, it largely spoiled the ambiance.

By contrast, I think the Olympic Stadium is a bit of a disappointment. The Olympic Park looks very run down already, and doesn't really have many other facilities for the visitor, although the Westfield is just over the road which has plenty of bars and restaurants.

But both venues are perfectly easy to get to - certainly no worse than Cardiff.

I actually think the use of big multi-purpose stadiums in the SGP will diminish quite soon. With the dearth of superstar riders in both Denmark and Sweden and the fact that Melbourne is so far away from speedway's heartland in Australia will make stadiums like Parken, the Friends Arena and the Etihad unviable.

There is little wrong with the SGP product but it is dependent on having quality riders and sadly other than Poland they are likely to be in short supply in the near future.

Interest in speedway as a whole in Denmark is in a slump without Nicki Pedersen as a headline act and Sweden have never replaced Tony Rickardsson. Unlike in Britain, where fans don't desert their GP if there isn't a great expectation of a home winner, that isn't the case in Denmark and Sweden. Poland had a mini-slump when Gollob faded but there has been a huge resurgence there because of the new breed that have swept to the fore.

Where is the next American, the next Russian or the next Slovenian or Slovak come to that. They don't exist and without figures to aspire to youngsters in all these countries will not envisage speedway as a worthwhile career.

Sweden, by their own admission, have no outstanding youngster. Nor, at this stage, do Denmark. There are some Australians who might make the grade but are we seriously expecting them to be the next Leigh Adams or Jason Crump?

In Britain we can but hope that Dan Bewley will rise above all the current disarray and step up to the plate but the system here, or lack of it, does little to ensure that is the case.

Sadly the country with all the riders and all the stadia is Poland.

I fear you maybe right but I have (blind!!?) hope that maybe the future is a little brighter than that.

I think a mix of nice track/stadia such as Torun, Gorzow, Prague, Mallila, mixed with the likes Cardiff, Horsens, Warsaw would be a nice combination. Just dont see the need for Daugapvils, Krsko etc anymore at this level. Can't see Stockholm surviving much after this year. Shame, beautiful city & a great stadium/track but until another Swede is challenging for world honors it will be tough. Melbourne, who knows... Maybe Holder's win last year and Doyle hopefully being in with a shout this year they might get a crowd in the mid 20k in October. If that isnt the case I'm guessing that will be game over for speedway GP at the Etihad. Would be nice to see Manchester, Togliatti & with the current young crop coming through, a better German stadium added. There can't be any more than 3 GPs in Poland, that would be simply unfair.

What still baffles me is this thinking that they can only go to 'Speedway" nations & citys. Supercross isnt any bigger than speedway outside certain pockets yet they go loads of different venues. It's sold as an event, not just a motorcycle race. Monster are the title sponsor for both, SGP could easily attract similar crowds. Blows my mind that they haven't tried for new markets.

Edited by RPNYC

Friends Arena was a mistake from the beginning. Tele 2 arena would have been a less bad choice since it is smaller but also

have better transportation options. It is easily reachable by both car and subway and it also has allot of parking garages nearby.

The 2004 GP at the Olympic stadium in Stockholm was superb,I'd love to see another there.

The 2004 GP at the Olympic stadium in Stockholm was superb,I'd love to see another there.

Will not happen. Since the renovation of the athletics running tracks, it is not allowed to cover then with gravel and etc.

It also does not have a roof. I agree though that it is a nice stadium (over 100 years old) in a nice location.'

However it's standard is pretty low and the seating areas are on wooden benches.

Edited by Ghostwalker