Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Smithers

Most missed Rider

I'm not as old as you think Montine... I was 6 weeks old in 1967 when I first went so grew up watching all the riders mentioned.

I agree Steve - but were you in the loo when Trevor Hedge was riding

To be honest Kevin, I don't really have any memories of Trevor Hedge riding...I only listed people I actually remember watching.

Wimbledon have had so many great entertainers over the years it would be impossible to list them all.

I grew up watching Ivan Mauger as he would always stay with us when in London, so I have lots of memories of him riding at Hackney and being jeered at Wimbledon. I always found it quite funny.

Also have vivid memories of staying at his place in Cheshire a few times and sleeping in the same room as the gold bike.

Another thing I laugh at now was at a party at his house after a BLRC at Hyde Road... Ivan hadn't done very well (think he was with Hull at the time) and I remember asking him what went wrong :D :evil:

He must have thought 'annoying little rubbish'. lol

I didn't start going speedway tell I was about 14 almost 15 years old, back in 87 therefore that's why i don't know alot of the riders that you mentioned.

I grew up watching Ivan Mauger as he would always stay with us when in London' date=' so I have lots of memories of him riding at Hackney and being jeered at Wimbledon. I always found it quite funny.

Also have vivid memories of staying at his place in Cheshire a few times and sleeping in the same room as the gold bike.

Another thing I laugh at now was at a party at his house after a BLRC at Hyde Road... Ivan hadn't done very well (think he was with Hull at the time) and I remember asking him what went wrong :D :evil:

He must have thought 'annoying little rubbish'. lol[/quote']

I guess that beats a framed, personaliy signed, limited edition print of the great man ...

I guess that beats a framed, personaliy signed, limited edition print of the great man ...

This print you got Addy... is it the 'Millenium Man' print limited to 500 by Blair McKinley??? If so, I got one in a frame on my wall. He signed one to me and the missus and brought it over a couple of years ago.

I can remember watching Ivan Mauger at Plough Lane and being amazed at how soon he started to slide his rear wheel going into the corners. He seemied to start the wheel sliding as he passed the start line, but clearly this was the way to ride the track, because on his day, he was unbeatable around Wimbledon.

On his Day he was unbeatable around any track :!: :P;)

In a run-off for third place I have on tape/cassette in the spring Classic how JANSSON beat Mauger from the back. UNBELIEVABLE racing it was!

Zetters, i was amazed to here of the passing of Anders Eriksson. Do you know what happened??

In a run-off for third place I have on tape/cassette in the spring Classic how JANSSON beat Mauger from the back. UNBELIEVABLE racing it was!

Not his day then :!: ;)

My dad somewhere in his speedway photo album has a couple of really good pictures 1 of Ivan Mauger leading out the Oz/Nz Team & Uncle Ted leading out the England Team side by side excellent picture will look it out and perhaps next time Ivan is over I will send you it and you can get him to sign it for me Steve, the other one is of Barry Briggs & Uncle Ted signing autographs with my cousin David & his mate looking on. Both treasured memories of times gone by.

Shazzy, do you remember the night Ivan rode at Canterbury?

He did a few match races but I can't remember who they were against, but what I do remember is him changing into different leathers for each race.

This print you got Addy... is it the 'Millenium Man' print limited to 500 by Blair McKinley??? If so, I got one in a frame on my wall. He signed one to me and the missus and brought it over a couple of years ago.

Wow

mine is number 220 of 500

What number is yours?

I got number 374 Addy....

mine was free and brought over by the man himself :D

mine was free and brought over by the man himself :D

ooooo get you and ya friends in high places ;)

I think this is when the photo of Ivan Mauger & Uncle Ted was taken, could it have been Young England v Australasia ( :?: ) not sure on the spelling there ;)

Its got to be Bruce Penhall, he retired at the very top and surely had so much more to offer.

He gave speedway the publicity it so badly needed in the late seventies/early eighties.

No rider has come anywhere near to gaining the publicity Bruce gave speedway.

He was a legend in the Black Country.

Tommy Jansson comes in a very close second, without the on track achievements, who know's what he could of achieved.

I think this is when the photo of Ivan Mauger & Uncle Ted was taken, could it have been Young England v Australasia ( :?: ) not sure on the spelling there ;)

No Shazz, Ivan rode at Kingsmead in a meeting in November - JSH got special permission to stage it - could have been some kind of anniversary meeting like the 50th year of speedway or something like that.