British Speedway Forum
Perton Wolf

Joonas Kylmakorpi

He has just announced his retirement via Facebook.

Seems like it was a medical decision due to a crash he suffered in December during training.

Quite a surprise but wish him the best for the future!!

Such a shame that it is injury that has forced him to quit.

Always found Joonas entertaining to watch and wish him all the best.

• Like 1

Yes - it has been posted on Facebook in the past half hour. He has sought medical advice regarding the injuries he suffered in his training crash in December and as a result has decided to retire.

Thanks for the memories, from both speedway and longtrack racing, whilst representing at different times Sweden and Finland.

My personal highlight - a classy maximum representing Eastbourne at Birmingham a few years ago. Joonas was unbeatable that night, winning races both from the gate and from the back.

Edited by moomin man 76
  • Like 2

As a footnote to Joonas' retirement, there is now a GP Qualifier and World Longtrack Championship place going spare. i wonder who is next in line for both?

He provided good racing throughout his career and it is probably a wise move, leaving the sport in one piece. A happy retirement to him.

• Like 2

Sad news but definitely sounds like the right decision has been made.

Always enjoyed watching Kylmakorpi, win or lose rode the old Kirky Lane track at Belle Vue like it was Bydgoszcz! Cracking racing style & a real trier. Happy retirement Joonas! :approve:

Remember his time at Arena where he was always so good to watch and a real favourite 'cup-of-coffee' - he'll be missed around the tracks.

I am sad to hear of Joonas's retirement. I loved watching him on the Television. I thought that he was an extremely talented and exciting Rider to watch.

I wish him well for his retirement.

Remember his time at Arena where he was always so good to watch and a real favourite 'cup-of-coffee' - he'll be missed around the tracks.

We(Newcastle ) went to Arena in his first season there, and he was amazing. He was overtaking at all the usual wrong places and beating the top guys we had. Never saw anybody else use the riding lines he used, and constantly changing them during a race.

Remember his days with Lanham at Arena and they was both a joy to watch. All the best Jk.

As a footnote to Joonas' retirement, there is now a GP Qualifier and World Longtrack Championship place going spare. i wonder who is next in line for both?

Theo di Palma will replace him in the GP's.

• Like 1

Joonas' recovery was going well but he have been told that very recently that he needed to undergo a hip surgery to

have his tigh/hip joint replaced by a new artificial one.

http://www.vn.se/article/lejonens-nyforvarv-slutar/

https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/002975.htm

Edited by Ghostwalker

At 36/37 years old he had a decent innings but it's always a shame when injuries force retirement. it is unfortunate that his career has been held back by a couple of bad knocks that needed surgery and took an extended recovery time but over the last few years we saw glimpses of what might have been.

Best wishes for your retirement Joonas. You have been a good servant to the sport.

• Like 1

Joonas' recovery was going well but he have been told that very recently that he needed to undergo a hip surgery to

have his tigh/hip joint replaced by a new artificial one.

http://www.vn.se/article/lejonens-nyforvarv-slutar/

https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/002975.htm

Cameron Woodward in the same kind of boat I guess

Must be nearly 3yrs now other than a mini unsuccessful comeback in Australia