British Speedway Forum
jackofdiamonds

Newcastle V Workington Ckocup 2nd Leg April 2 2017

Thought I'd start this off. Hopefully tonight's first leg goes ahead, hoping Newcastle will keep it close. Expect Cookie to put in his normal high score at Brough, but I expect an aggregate win for the Diamonds.

Looking forward to Cooky against Rob and Steve. Now 3 of the very best English riders. Also looking forward to watching Lewis and Ash's continued improvements.

It will be great if we can build up a decent lead for the 2nd leg at Workington whenever that will be

Edited by dantodan

It will be great if we can build up a decent lead for the 2nd leg at Workington whenever that will be

Saturday 22nd April.

Craig Cook as ever a pleasure to watch around Brough and his heat 13 win was as good a ride as you'll ever see on this track. Credit to Steve Worrall for beating him twice - that takes some doing. Felt a bit sorry for Jorgensen being stuck on the graveyard gate 4 twice in that company.

8 points is a decent win for the Diamonds and gives them a fighting chance in the return leg. It could go to the wire. The obvious problem the Diamonds have is the weakness we have at reserve. I said when the 1-7 was announced that we had a strong top 5 but we'd be badly exposed at reserve unless Connor ends up being another Worrall/Kerr/Rose. Of course it's far too early to judge him on a couple of meetings and he is certainly mixing it which is encouraging. Brough is a tough track to learn and it will probably take him a good dozen meetings to get the hang of it. I'm afraid though that Phillips is well out of his depth at this level and is nowhere near good enough to be a senior reserve while Connor develops. That puts pressure on the top 5 and makes heat advantages difficult to come by. If and when we use rider replacement we'll be in big trouble.

• Like 4

Craig Cook as ever a pleasure to watch around Brough and his heat 13 win was as good a ride as you'll ever see on this track. Credit to Steve Worrall for beating him twice - that takes some doing. Felt a bit sorry for Jorgensen being stuck on the graveyard gate 4 twice in that company.

8 points is a decent win for the Diamonds and gives them a fighting chance in the return leg. It could go to the wire. The obvious problem the Diamonds have is the weakness we have at reserve. I said when the 1-7 was announced that we had a strong top 5 but we'd be badly exposed at reserve unless Connor ends up being another Worrall/Kerr/Rose. Of course it's far too early to judge him on a couple of meetings and he is certainly mixing it which is encouraging. Brough is a tough track to learn and it will probably take him a good dozen meetings to get the hang of it. I'm afraid though that Phillips is well out of his depth at this level and is nowhere near good enough to be a senior reserve while Connor develops. That puts pressure on the top 5 and makes heat advantages difficult to come by. If and when we use rider replacement we'll be in big trouble.

Technically, Connor Coles is in the senior reserve position, which I think is wrong, if he was at 7, against other number 7s he'd score a lot more, he's not going to beat other number 6s yet, and neither is Danny, but I think Connor is more likely to beat other number 7s rather than Danny... I want to see Connor at 7 and Danny at 6...

Heat 13 off cook just wow unbelievable ride

Agreed, best ride I can remember...

So did the ckocup turn out to be a bit of a cockup?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I think having meetings as important as these this close to the beginning of the season is the cockup...

• Like 2

Unfortunately the position at reserve looks unsustainable. Perusal of the SStar doesn't present any obvious candidate as a straight replacement and I suppose more radical restructuring would be too unpalatable to most anyway.

I suppose we just press on for now. When will the first GSAs be out?

• Like 1

Cook's pass of Lambert and Worrall in Ht13 was worth the admission money alone. Wow!

With this team, we should not get thrashed anywhere but we won't hand out too many hidings either as we will be giving up too many 3-3's, even at home.

(Monarchs fan) we came down last night and brought my Granddaughter (who lives in Newcastle) to see her #1 rider The Cookster. Great meeting for a neutral and heat 13 was Cookie at his breathtaking very best!!! Huge plaudits to Super Stevie (former Monarch) for beating Cookie twice, it's hard enough to do that once!

Nice to see young Ashley coming on too (former Monarch). Young Conor is a bit erratic but I hope he will come good (Dad, a former Monarch)..... gave me lots of riders to cheer for, even tho' they were on opposing teams

All in all a very enjoyable night at the Speedway

• Like 3