British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
LaurenceRogers

Mdl + Sdl Gets Approval For 2017

GOOD NEWS …… SOUTHERN DEVELOPMENT LEAGUE APPROVED FOR 2017 SEASON

Following much discussion the Southern Development League was approved by the SCB and will commence in April .

The SDL is to be run on the same format as the highly successful Midland Development League, who also received the rubber stamping to proceed for the seventh season .

There are potentially six sides who will contest the new league, which will run with four man 500cc sides over six heats home and away. Definite starters are Reading Racers (based at Eastbourne), Weymouth Wildcats (based at Plymouth), Exeter Falcons (based at Somerset), Kent Kestrels and Plymouth Demons. The sixth side awaiting confirmation are Iwade Crusaders .

The new league will be administered by Plymouth co-promoter Laurence Rogers, who has been the co-ordinator of the MDL for several years. He commented, “ We have patiently awaited the approval from the SCB on this new league. Initially there were moves to change the race format but this was rejected by both the MDL and SDL members. With my new involvement at Plymouth the MDL is being co-ordinated by Nigel Hinchcliffe at Scunthorpe whilst I will oversee the new league.”

“We are awaiting news from Iwade on their membership but will press ahead with the five teams we have confirmed and work Iwade into the fixtures if they are able to run in the league. I have a provisional fixture list drafted and we will release those dates once fully confirmed with all the clubs.”

“Each team is naming a squad of up to six riders and the league looks to be a competitive one with some new names in the squads declared . The MDL has done a great job giving young riders track time and involving them in a team situation in a structured league and now we can start to mirror that in the SDL. If you look at riders in the three main leagues and see where they started there is a long list of young Brits who cut their teeth at MDL level”

• Like 3

Brilliant news. Well done to all who stood firm & together to see this through by preserving the highly successful MDL & introducing the SDL.

May they both continue to flourish for many years to come.

I understand Kent Kestrels first fixture will be Exeter Falcons at Central Park on Monday 24th April.

:D

I understand Kent Kestrels first fixture will be Exeter Falcons at Central Park on Monday 24th April.

:D

Looks like a double header now Kestrels vs Falcons & Kestrels vs Wildcats. Im guessing the amateur individual scheduled that day has been knocked on the head?

Looks like a double header now Kestrels vs Falcons & Kestrels vs Wildcats. Im guessing the amateur individual scheduled that day has been knocked on the head?

Northside often run an amateur individual event, followed by two NJL matches.

My question is, where is the best place to find news for the NJL. MDL and SDL, is there a website? None that I can see, I would like to know what the squads and results are going to be

As far as i know its a case of hunting around for results. A lot does pop up on here and a few teams have their own websites/facebook pages but thats about it. There is also a Junior Leagues section on the Speedway GB website but how often it gets updated i don't really know.

These are the results thus far.

8th April 2017 (NJL)

Ashfield 27: Ryan Morris 9 Ryan MacDonald 9 Corban Pavitt 6 Dale Lamb 3

Newcastle 7: Josh Embleton 6 Archie Freeman 1 Dean Douglas 0 Jack Wright 0

9th April 2017 (NJL)

Newcastle 11: Josh Embleton 6 Archie Freeman 5 Dean Douglas 0

Berwick 25: Sam McGurk 8 Kieran Douglas 8 Luke Harrison 5 Mark McIlkenny 4

9th April 2017 (MDL)

SCUNTHORPE 18: Luke Whitehead 6 Sam Chapman 6 Chris Bambury 4 James Chattin 2

CARMARTHEN 12: Joe Alcock 8 Danny Wright 3 Russell Barnett 1 Connor Fletcher 0

• Like 1

There are Facebook pages for both MDL and SDL, and also for individual DL teams.

Meanwhile, is there a fixture list for MDL yet?

Is there a squad list that's been published yet?

No

The fixture list for both MDL and SDL are now on the SGB website.