iris123

Longtrack Activity

Just random postings about Longtrack when i get something

Wasn't working earlier,but here is a photo.Interesting style

896bb9787fc34b1e9b0bf0ae1dc922f1.jpg?pre

Edited by iris123

Just random postings about Longtrack when i get something

Wasn't working earlier,but here is a photo.Interesting style

Gen yourself up HERE , - Long Track background plus national champions in Eastern and Western Europe, Scandinavia, Australasia and America.

Edited by britmet

Gen yourself up HERE , - Long Track background plus national champions in Eastern and Western Europe, Scandinavia, Australasia and America.

Great site with some tremendous info :t:

Isn't the title supposed to be Longtrack action?

Isn't the title supposed to be Longtrack action?

Hmmm.Not sure.When i have been to a Longtrack meeting there has been more activity than action :party::P

The FIM website define the formula as Long Track rather than longtrack as the thread title does, but I assume it to be the same?

In that case, these details of the world championship rounds will be of interest, although apparently there is no British venue suitable for this type of racing.

http://www.fim-live.com/en/sport/sport/long-track/

Edited by Guest

The FIM website define the formula as Long Track rather than longtrack as the thread title does, but I assume it to be the same?

In that case, these details of the world championship rounds will be of interest, although there is no British venue suitable for this type of racing.

Why do you say there is "no British venue suitable for this type of racing"? Surely a trotting track is suitable if it is ok for Flat Track?They have hosted Longtrack in the UK before.Haldon race course for instance.

http://exeterfalcons.proboards.com/thread/642/long-track-video-haldon

In that case, these details of the world championship rounds will be of interest, although apparently there is no British venue suitable for this type of racing.

Why do you say there is "no British venue suitable for this type of racing"? Surely a trotting track is suitable if it is ok for Flat Track?They have hosted Longtrack in the UK before.Haldon race course for instance.

No I did not say what is in the quote: I said "In that case, these details of the world championship rounds will be of interest, although apparently there is no British venue suitable for this type of racing."

Leaving out key words from a quote? Makes a lot of difference and tends to make one wary of the credibility of what is being quoted?

And if Haldon race course is so good, why then is it not being used for Long Track racing these days?

Nothing would be better than to see this type of racing again presented to the lovers of track racing in the UK IMO.

This quote from the Link forwarded (see quote BELOW) may explain more in regard to the Haldon racecourse saga. I have an idea that the tonal making the quote is in fact the much-respected speedway historian Tony Lethbridge?

speedway3.jpg

Long Track Video From Haldon Aug 13, 2008 at 9:42pm

Post by tonyl on Aug 13, 2008 at 9:42pm

Not actually 1000 metres, Nevs, only 800. Which is the reason why world championship rounds could not be staged there, and it soon closed down. However this is the ground where the new track WILL be built.

The meeting shown took place on Sunday 13 May 1979 and was won by Phil Crump from Ole Olsen and Bruce Penhall. Phil also won the second meeting of 1979 on 30 September when Bruce Cribb and Vaclav Verner joined him on the podium. That meeting also saw 750cc American dirt bikes in action, ridden by among others Peter Collins and world road racing champion (these days it would be MotoGP) Kenny Roberts.

Phil Crump had finished second to Exeter's Reidar Eide in the track's opening meeting (Sunday 8Oct. 1978). That meeting attracted a 20,000 crowd, but I don't think there will be room for quite that many next Easter. The last Haldon long track meeting took place on 29 June 1980. Andy Grahame won from Steve Bastable and Kenny Carter in front of a very poor crowd.

The full story of Haldon long track can be found in 'Speedway in the South West' (£14.99 post free) available from yours truly.

Read more: http://exeterfalcons.proboards.com/thread/642/long-track-video-haldon#ixzz4dTpduIF0

Edited by Guest

No I did not say what is in the quote: I said "In that case, these details of the world championship rounds will be of interest, although apparently there is no British venue suitable for this type of racing."

Leaving out key words from a quote? Makes a lot of difference and tends to make one wary of the credibility of what is being quoted?

And if Haldon race course is so good, why then is it not being used for Long Track racing these days?

Nothing would be better than to see this type of racing again presented to the lovers of track racing in the UK IMO.

This quote from the Link forwarded (see quote BELOW) may explain more in regard to the Haldon racecourse saga.

speedway3.jpg

No it doesn't,because the rules have been changed since then,i believe.That is why a speedway track in Poland hosted a round of the world championship back in 2014.And just because there is no GP this year or last year why do you come to the strange conclusion that "apparently there is no British venue suitable for this type of racing"?It seems you don't really know much about this type of racing and are yet again chipping in with a little bit of knowledge that can be dangerous,as they say :rofl:

Edited by iris123

This quote from the Link forwarded (see quote BELOW) may explain more in regard to the Haldon racecourse saga. I have an idea that the tonal making the quote is in fact the much-respected speedway historian Tony Lethbridge?

speedway3.jpg

Long Track Video From Haldon Aug 13, 2008 at 9:42pm

Post by tonyl on Aug 13, 2008 at 9:42pm

Not actually 1000 metres, Nevs, only 800. Which is the reason why world championship rounds could not be staged there, and it soon closed down. However this is the ground where the new track WILL be built.

The meeting shown took place on Sunday 13 May 1979 and was won by Phil Crump from Ole Olsen and Bruce Penhall. Phil also won the second meeting of 1979 on 30 September when Bruce Cribb and Vaclav Verner joined him on the podium. That meeting also saw 750cc American dirt bikes in action, ridden by among others Peter Collins and world road racing champion (these days it would be MotoGP) Kenny Roberts.

Phil Crump had finished second to Exeter's Reidar Eide in the track's opening meeting (Sunday 8Oct. 1978). That meeting attracted a 20,000 crowd, but I don't think there will be room for quite that many next Easter. The last Haldon long track meeting took place on 29 June 1980. Andy Grahame won from Steve Bastable and Kenny Carter in front of a very poor crowd.

The full story of Haldon long track can be found in 'Speedway in the South West' (£14.99 post free) available from yours truly.

Read more: http://exeterfalcons.proboards.com/thread/642/long-track-video-haldon#ixzz4dTpduIF0

No it doesn't,because the rules have been changed since then,i believe.That is why a speedway track in Poland hosted a round of the world championship back in 2014.And just because there is no GP this year or last year why do you come to the strange conclusion that "apparently there is no British venue suitable for this type of racing"?It seems you don't really know much about this type of racing and are yet again chipping in with a little bit of knowledge that can be dangerous,as they say :rofl:

I fail to understand your logic. Surely a forum is designed for Posters to either pass on their knowledge or to seek more information and learn from what those with more knowledge pass along. I learned a lot from the quote provided by Tony Lethbridge rather than yet another belittling rebuke from you generally offered.

​And may I again ask - what exactly happened to my question in regard to a different version of an item you quoted me on?

I fail to understand your logic.

As i posted,why do you come to that conclusion?

All I can say is that I would welcome more Long Track racing in Britain. If under the latest FIM guidelines Haldon now qualifies one must hope that there is someone interested enough to promote a meeting there - dependent I suppose on what the condition of the venue is these days.

A few Long Track meetings in the UK would be a welcome addition to the track racing calendar. Let us hope that such a happening will materialise in the fullness of time.

I am talking about Long Track racing and not Longtrack racing? :wink:

Edited by Guest

Anyway,enough of that mularkey,let's get this thread back on track with the now sadly retired former world champion from either Finland or Sweden,depending on the way the wind was blowing :party:

981033_613670008643071_997347148_o.jpg?rimg-38920-09_ceremony_c_sievers-696x464.

• Like 1

About time we welcomed the record holder onto this thread.8 time world champion Gerd Riss.Also managed to pick up 11 German Longtrack titles as well as 5 times the speedway title.Near the end of hi career also picked up 3 team Longtrack titles with Germany.Not bad going i'd say

1996%20HxhmWldF,%206Riss5Gerhard1Berg4Br

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerd_Riss