British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mdmc82

Wolverhampton V Coventry 10th April (challenge)

Not sure what people were expecting from this exercise?

Of course some of the meetings will end up as Bees select sides, but it gives us a story to put in the paper over the next couple of days and Jeff will bombard them with pictures I'm sure.

I enjoyed it. Caught up with people I hadn't seen since Peterborough, whom I normally see a couple of times a week at meetings, and saw some decent heats.

Masters v King and Schlein in 13 was great stuff and better than anything I observed at the 'real' meeting at Leicester on Saturday.

Phew, I thought it was just me. Not a classic by any means but enjoyable none the less and good to see the Bees on track.

Yes it was a bit quiet but that's probably because the Wolves season is under way now so they were not too bothered about a challenge meeting while Bees fans didn't have too much to cheer sadly.

Heat 13 was a smashing race, as good as you'll see pretty much anywhere. And it was nice to see Stefan Nielsen having a good go and actually looking the best I've ever seen him, less of that awkward style he used to have.

A bit flat for Wolves vs Bees at Monmore? Maybe, but when all's said and done, it was a challenge meeting on a chilly April evening. As has been said, there were some good races and agree it was more entertaining than the real business over at Leicester on Saturday.

Hats off to Nielsen, showing the potential he had before a stale spell in the tougher draft system last year. One of the feel good stories of the night for me and if our nomad club requires an occasional nomad rider to make up the numbers here and there, then well, I won't be too upset to see us give them track time.

Another feel good story, great to see Schleiny getting back up to speed after his latest injury nightmares. Like at Leicester on Saturday, just getting a bit squeezed out on tight first laps still, missing out on the big scores, but a remarkable comeback really and always good to see in Bees colours.

For Wolves, that's a very strong top order that will be hard for others to conquer. Even Skornicki looks to be figuring it out again. A reserve change clearly looks needed though, will that require a casualty from the top 5 to get the balance right?

Hopefully a couple of appearances from Bomber should bring back the Coventry feel some are saying is missing from the Bees of 2017.

• Like 1

I don't know what people are expecting, of course as the season goes on it will be more of a Coventry select side. The people involved made no secret of that. It's all about keeping the Bees race jacket going with riders who have mainly wore the Bees race jacket in the past. Up The Bees.

• Like 2

Stefan neilsen had a great season at plymouth last year and was our rider of the season. He really got to grips with our small track and its an absolute travesty that he has no team atm however i think someone will sign him soon hopefully to replace a non brit.

• Like 1

It was always said that these meetings would be Coventry select teams, made up of Coventry riders from over the years. not always the 2017 line up. This has been the case each time. Bjerre & Kerr had never really raced for bees. Rory & Bomber give it more of a bees feel. Stefan is an ex bee, same with Howarth who is due to guest soon. Bates couldn't help being injured.

The main thing is to keep Coventry in the public eye and on track. I think the more challenge meetings the better. I really miss not seeing the bees riding.

I think it's great what Jeff & those other behind the scenes are doing. Let's keep the faith & keep fighting

• Like 3

So what do you reckon then? Is it time to knock this on the head if it's going to be an assortment of riders going under the Coventry name? The Peterborough meeting was amazing and perhaps it should have just been a one off. I'll go to the Leicester one hoping the team has some sort of resemblance to the original team but it looks like Kerr has deflected already now he has a place with Poole. :neutral:

I think the idea is to keep the bees name going, who rides for them is irrelevant

Good to see Stefan Nielsen doing well. I really hope that this helps him get signed up soon.

• Like 1

Good to see Stefan Nielsen doing well. I really hope that this helps him get signed up soon.

The way he rode last night he should have plenty of phone calls this morning if there's any justice. I've never been much of a fan but he looked good last night, it's a travesty he doesn't have a job and some right rubbish does in both leagues.

Could Wolves make a double switch with Nielsen/Hume coming in would Hume miss to many matches.?

Edited by Sidney the robin

Stefan neilsen had a great season at plymouth last year and was our rider of the season. He really got to grips with our small track and its an absolute travesty that he has no team atm however i think someone will sign him soon hopefully to replace a non brit.

But he was born in Denmark, so he's not a Brit either!!

I know what you mean though, and agree with you. I saw him at Mildenhall on Sunday, and he was head and shoulders above everyone else. More than worthy of a team place with someone.

The way he rode last night he should have plenty of phone calls this morning if there's any justice. I've never been much of a fan but he looked good last night, it's a travesty he doesn't have a job and some right rubbish does in both leagues.

It appears Redcar have re declared for the injured Busch although Bukhave is rumoured to be the rider concerned.

It appears Redcar have re declared for the injured Busch although Bukhave is rumoured to be the rider concerned.

I'm not sure he'd fit as a like-for-like replacement.

It's surely only a matter of time before Berwick start again, there whole team is pants. He might get offered a place there.

Exactly the same scenario for Jacobs. Excellent in the PCM. Not one team has gone in for them. It's perplexing when you look at some of the total dross in the leagues.

I don't know what people are expecting, of course as the season goes on it will be more of a Coventry select side. The people involved made no secret of that. It's all about keeping the Bees race jacket going with riders who have mainly wore the Bees race jacket in the past. Up The Bees.

Spot on,

And lets face it, its just another one of the many 'select sides' that will tour the country this season...

At least the Cov meetings will have no bearing on the league the way all the other 'select teams' will have...

Anything that keeps Cov in the public eye, no matter how it's delivered, must be a good thing..

• Like 1

To me there was something missing

Porky!

• Like 2