British Speedway Forum

When times were good the promoters just pocketed the money instead of investing in in the infrastructure of the sport.

• Like 5

When times were good the promoters just pocketed the money instead of investing in in the infrastructure of the sport.

And all that SKY money... modern promoters haven't really learned.

What has changed is that Grand Prix racing has become more important than the league, whereas back in 1981 it was the other way and riders put in a good shift for their respective teams before starting on the road to world title gold. You could go to a match, see your local side that you'd travel home and away to watch, because they were your boys. You'd even travel miles to see one of your boys in a world championship meeting, even an open meeting somewhere. They were a member of your team, they pulled in your direction as a unit, so it was only right - it felt right - to support them when they went all individual. Only a handful of riders back in 1981 expected title gold... but the GPs, most are battling to either win, gain rostrum spots, or just qualify for next year. It takes so much energy, league racing isn't the goal. It is a full season, not the one night.

As we near 40 years since the last Wembley, league speedway has allowed itself to become creaky and old looking, merely surviving. In Britain we have sunk to a poor third world sort of set up where riders sort of feel embarrassed to own up to riding. It is much better for them if they gain gigs in Poland and Swedish leagues. It leaves the crumbs of what's left to fill our summers on the terraces... and it doesn't feel like a team sport anymore, as it isn't just the GPs that dwarf domestic racing in Britain, it is other leagues in Europe. To help compensate a short fall in quality riders, promoters who merely exist to run a track once a week dabble into each other's riding stock, to fill a side to get one fixture out of the way and we can all turn up again next week.

Our love of the team ethic has sort of vanished and fans that are left just use speedway now as a reason to get out of the house and fill in a programme. Like the supporter stood right beside you... many of the side you think are riding for your club may not be in the line up the following week, never mind the following season. It has got that bad now, riders are given testimonials for 10 seasons in the sport, and not a decade for one team. Their loyalty to the club naturally isn't as strong as the fan. And that's a major shift from all those years ago.

Says it all.

In 1981, the 70-plus thousand which watched that world final were supporting men who had carried their league team dreams all year. It felt like they were part of them, had celebrated a match-winning ride... and were worried by a uncharacteristic poor display. It was their rider after all, the rider earned his main crust for their team. They were one.

Now, 36 years on, riders have their fingers in too many pies, too many other distractions home and abroad. It is hard to form any bond between terrace fan and racer. It is a team sport still... but not as we knew it. The riders seem to have lost all concept of what team speedway is. They probably know... points limits and square pegs in square holes will cement their immediate future for the next year, and not whether they break sweat chasing every point.

A very good and perceptive Post Moxey63.

I can agree with, and associate myself with, every single word. Most particularly the Team ethic that you emphasise.

• Like 2

Something I remember as a kid was going to international meetings were people cheered for foreigners nwho raced in their local team. I never have and never will but into that! Let's use the old football analogy once again. I am an Arsenal fan for my sins but back when we had half the french team playing for us I would never of considered supporting the french national side..

Haha...really

Yeah I honestly believe that.
  • Like 1

Re: the Individ World Championship, one time each season every rider (presumably of at least league standard) theoretically stood a chance of becoming World Champ from 1st of January that year. This isn't the case anymore, mostly selected riders are invited to enter or seeded in the competition, though riders need to be of a very high standard to progress. Only the best will qualify and compete at the top level, true, but in my opinion too many riders 'remain' in the GP, top 8 I think it is, should really only be the top 4 or 5, let everyone else qualify on merit, + 1 wildcard for each GP venue to ensure home interest....

Edited by Martin Mauger
  • Like 2

To be fair, 'old folk' (like me) were not keen on dirt deflectors, laid down engines, the GP world championship system, but they happened and still speedway struggles. What changes has speedway tried to implement, but reverted back to the 'old ways'? (Scratching my head!)

my thoughts exactly - its the changes that actually lost fans most of the time. Cost of admission, rocket bikes, ugly bikes, etc etc etc

First things first slow the bloody bikes down and get some dirt

• Like 5

my thoughts exactly - its the changes that actually lost fans most of the time. Cost of admission, rocket bikes, ugly bikes, etc etc etc

First things first slow the bloody bikes down and get some dirt

F2 might be the way to go.

• Like 2

F2 might be the way to go.

There are many ways to go... but I'd say getting the product right and credible, cutting costs, and trying to tempt old fans away from their home PCs, tablets and mobiles, where they demand live streams and then complain that the sport deserves bigger media coverage and support.

If old fans can't be attracted to leave their comfortable armchairs and pay at the turnstiles, we really are losing the battle.

Edited by moxey63

I'm relatively new to watching speedway, i'm 53 years old.

Between the ages of about 10 and 50 speedway didn't exist it was something that used to be on the telly.

Part of the problem

Promoters don't promote, I have never seen or heard any advert for league speedway in a public place EVER.

Teams are not teams, riders appear all over the leagues for any team that will pay them to "guest", can you imagine that in football.

So Klindt guests for Liecester last week and Rides for Poole this week at Liecester, I don't want to pay to see that, it's an absolute joke and insult to my intelligence.

And all this talk about how riders were better back then, bullshat, just like they don't make cars like they used to, Agostini is the greatest, Eric Clapton is God.

• Like 1

I'm relatively new to watching speedway, i'm 53 years old.

Between the ages of about 10 and 50 speedway didn't exist it was something that used to be on the telly.

Part of the problem

Promoters don't promote, I have never seen or heard any advert for league speedway in a public place EVER.

Teams are not teams, riders appear all over the leagues for any team that will pay them to "guest", can you imagine that in football.

So Klindt guests for Liecester last week and Rides for Poole this week at Liecester, I don't want to pay to see that, it's an absolute joke and insult to my intelligence.

And all this talk about how riders were better back then, bullshat, just like they don't make cars like they used to, Agostini is the greatest, Eric Clapton is God.

Too right, the ony rtime we heard of a big promotion is whan a team was on TV and comms report "they've really pushed this meeting - reducing admission to £10, etc". Reporting admission is reduced to a tenner will prob make viewers think "it can't be very good if they have to reduce the admission to get people to watch". I'm sure promotors do run their clubs, else there would be literally no speedway at all, but 'promote' ? I'm not too sure they do anymore....

And all that SKY money... modern promoters haven't really learned.

You could say who can blame them after the non-investment/cashing in by selling stadiums in the past?

• Like 1

The sport in its presentation is far too old fashioned now, it isn't the 1970s anymore, people want more, expect more. Waiting around for all the faffing of the riders in below par stadia when all you get is stop start music, interviews you can't hear, Smashey and Nicey type presentation, "new badges in the club shop folks, let's go racing, give us an L.. give us an I..." and it's so naff I wouldn't dare take any of my contemporaries and I'm only 32!

I also agree with not feeling an affinity to the team though, you never know who you'll see one week to the next some times and it's the reason I fell out of love with football, it doesn't feel like it belongs to me, an ordinary bloke in Leicester, anymore. In fact that's one of the reasons I didn't go tonight to watch with two riders elsewhere and we got a predictable thumping so I saved my money instead.

• Like 4

The sport in its presentation is far too old fashioned now, it isn't the 1970s anymore, people want more, expect more. Waiting around for all the faffing of the riders in below par stadia when all you get is stop start music, interviews you can't hear, Smashey and Nicey type presentation, "new badges in the club shop folks, let's go racing, give us an L.. give us an I..." and it's so naff I wouldn't dare take any of my contemporaries and I'm only 32!

I also agree with not feeling an affinity to the team though, you never know who you'll see one week to the next some times and it's the reason I fell out of love with football, it doesn't feel like it belongs to me, an ordinary bloke in Leicester, anymore. In fact that's one of the reasons I didn't go tonight to watch with two riders elsewhere and we got a predictable thumping so I saved my money instead.

What do you expect then, what wouldn't make your contempories cringe? Again when I went to Poland for a league meeting in 2015 there was nothing but heat results and music, no rider interviews or anything, it was the fans who simply amused themselves by chanting, shouting and flag waving, led by guys on mics in the crowd ..... bit like british football I guess ... Edited by Trees

Doubling up is certainly not popular but i can not ever see it being reversed. Problem is British riders are now used to earning a living by racing in two British leagues, plus the foreign stuff. Take 1 league away and the other will have to pay.... Extra

Doubling up is certainly not popular but i can not ever see it being reversed. Problem is British riders are now used to earning a living by racing in two British leagues, plus the foreign stuff. Take 1 league away and the other will have to pay.... Extra