British Speedway Forum

Canadians Who Raced In Uk

On 6/8/2017 at 2:43 PM, andout said:

gustix....not quite sure why you have Rob Fisher as "Generally regarded as anglo-Canadian".....True he has English parents but was BORN in Canada, has a Canadian Passport and is a Canadian in every sense.

Same for Gary Ford, born in Canada to English parents but a Canadian in every sense.

Could be the same, though I don't know, for Sean (Change name to Shawn) Venables.

See we have an important correction, that Gary Fords parents were in fact from Scotland, not England at the bottom of the forum 

3 minutes ago, iris123 said:

See we have an important correction, that Gary Fords parents were in fact from Scotland, not England at the bottom of the forum 

True.....I knew both Joe and Margaret Ford and there is absolutely NO doubt they were Scottish!

How old was Gary Ford when he passed away??

8 minutes ago, BOBBATH said:

How old was Gary Ford when he passed away??

Jeez that's awful young, was he in an accident or was it a medical issue?

55 minutes ago, BOBBATH said:

Jeez that's awful young, was he in an accident or was it a medical issue?

He crashed at Welland in 1987, and broke an arm and a leg. However, he suffered a large blood loss, which left him with brain damage. He never fully recovered, and basically died from complications eight years later. My buddy Johnnie stayed in regular touch with Gary and his family after the accident. His death really tore him up...

I never knew that- I can understand why your mate Johnnie was torn up. RIP Gary

Just now, BOBBATH said:

I never knew that- I can understand why your mate Johnnie was torn up. RIP Gary

Remember, you can always check things on Google. Although I never actually saw or met Gary, I was always "in the know" because of Johnnie.

On 4/8/2017 at 5:48 PM, JohnHyam said:

(8) Sandy Sturgess, West Ham, 1948.

Anyone recall him? Thank you.

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, JohnHyam said:

Anyone recall him? Thank you.

Ted 'Sandy' Sturgess was born in Hamilton, Ontario, in 1920 and became a prominent road racer and dirt track rider in Canada.  He was invited to try his luck in UK speedway in 1939 and his first appearance was as a reserve for The Possibles against The Probables in the opening meeting of the season at West Ham.  His only appearance in the West Ham team was as a reserve at Belle Vue in a challenge match the following day, although he also rode as reserve for the West Ham Hawks (reserve team) at Bell End in May 1939.  He was otherwise restricted to a few unsuccessful second half rides at West Ham during April and May.  After the war he continued road racing and worked in the family motorcycle business in Hamilton.

• Like 2