British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
CookieIpswich

Monthly Boycott?

There needs to be a collective union for speedway supporters.

Collective bargaining is sometimes the only way to have a honest debate, the trade unions in this country have brought us so much.

Yes richard the three day week comes to mind.

• Like 1

There's already a boycott. Thousands every week just don't go anymore.

I wish I could muster the interest to go, but if it weren't for this forum, I'd have absolutely no contact or communication with the sport. Probably to render it forgotten about.

Unfortunately boycotting for a whole month is unlikely to succeed and anything less and the promoters would simply find an excuse to postpone a meeting (waterlogged track, electrical failure etc.). Across the leagues support would not happen and sadly you are left with either spending your money elsewhere or persevering. Not ideal but ultimately those in charge do not give a toss about the product, be it in delivery terms of entertainment or value for money. A rum old deal but take it or leave it, with many in management of the teams offering one of two fingers to the paying punter.

Nothing is going to change and in a few years my bet is that the sport will become an amateur part time event and those riding have other jobs so it becomes a hobby. Until then the choice is down to the paying public but with so many other options competing for the precious pound, promoters really need to think outside the box.

As a form of entertainment (and forget the risks etc because that is not what the public rate the price they pay) it is not good value for money. It is overpriced and delivery is slow, two hours for fifteen races is not good. People want delivery and quickly (think about how long you are prepared to wait for Google to give you an answer) hence it is a fast sport, high risk but delivered at snails pace and no longer a team event just a group of individuals who can ride for up,to three different teams in a week.

If I was you CookieIpswich save your cash spend it wisely.

• Like 1

Unfortunately boycotting for a whole month is unlikely to succeed and anything less and the promoters would simply find an excuse to postpone a meeting (waterlogged track, electrical failure etc.). Across the leagues support would not happen and sadly you are left with either spending your money elsewhere or persevering. Not ideal but ultimately those in charge do not give a toss about the product, be it in delivery terms of entertainment or value for money. A rum old deal but take it or leave it, with many in management of the teams offering one of two fingers to the paying punter.

Nothing is going to change and in a few years my bet is that the sport will become an amateur part time event and those riding have other jobs so it becomes a hobby. Until then the choice is down to the paying public but with so many other options competing for the precious pound, promoters really need to think outside the box.

As a form of entertainment (and forget the risks etc because that is not what the public rate the price they pay) it is not good value for money. It is overpriced and delivery is slow, two hours for fifteen races is not good. People want delivery and quickly (think about how long you are prepared to wait for Google to give you an answer) hence it is a fast sport, high risk but delivered at snails pace and no longer a team event just a group of individuals who can ride for up,to three different teams in a week.

If I was you CookieIpswich save your cash spend it wisely.

Well said. It's all about value for money - and diluting it year on year and increasing prices and "missing" riders from match to match just drives more and more away from the sport.

I don't mind attending my local tracks for a convenient night out, but it's getting harder to justify travelling long distances for such a poor product.

No need for a boycott as alot of fans are walking away from the sport and more will follow over the following months, the sport is doing a great job of keeping fans from turning up.

• Like 1

For 2018 there's no reason why the Premiership can't have fixed race nights on Monday / Wednesday

Monday:-

Belle Vue (own track)

Leicester (own track)

Swindon (only team that has questions over availablity)

Wolverhampton (rented, Monday's only)

Wednesday:-

King's Lynn (own track)

Poole (rented, Wednesday's only)

Rye House (own track)

Somerset (own track)

Championship clubs don't run on those 2 nights so the rider availability won't be an issue.

Who if they have a choice would want to promote Speedway on a Monday night.This is the worst night of the week to get supporters out. That's why Belle Vue moved away from Monday's

Who if they have a choice would want to promote Speedway on a Monday night.This is the worst night of the week to get supporters out. That's why Belle Vue moved away from Monday's

Belle Vue had poor teams on a poor track in a poor stadium.

That's why people didn't turn up, the day of the week is irrelevant.

I've been boycotting since August 2011 now. Until that point I attended probably 2 meetings a week on average from about September 2003, most at Newport and Coventry (and the 5 years before that once a week at Newport). From about mid-2005 to August 2011 I must have missed about a dozen Bees meetings. Then we have Kildemand-gate and for me it was the final straw, all the proof I needed that the BSPA were corrupt and there was no point taking it serious any more. I barely attended a meeting for a year and since then have been at best an intermittent fan, down from 60-70 meeting a season to about 10-15 now.

When I first started attending Brandon in September 2003 there must have been about 15-20 people in our group, that group now has 3 of the original members left as regulars. OK it's picked up a few more strays along the way but it makes you wonder what the turn over of fans is, in 14 years 12ish people have gone and been replaced by 2 or 3 more but imagine the sport have kept hold of the 12 it's lost, it only had to keep hold of them. It didnt need to advertise or promote, just keep them happy every week. If you can't keep those you have happy you stand little chance of impressing new people.

The worst thing, every one of those who slowly disapeared from our group where in their early 20s back in 2003 (a couple a little younger), the sport just cant keep young people!

Too right it can't. My son is 23 and my daughter 18. They were both big speedway fans as kids, but haven't been for a few years now. What is in it for them, standing in a run down stadium with a load of old duffers, and being expected to pay for the privilege.

Speedway in the UK just seems to lack basic business sense. For example, Wolves were offering an Early Bird Season Ticket Offer up to the second week of January.

However, for the following 2 months after the Early Bird period, the website merely stated something along the lines of ''Season Ticket prices and details will be released in due course''

I think it says the same thing now........2 weeks or so into the season.

That hardly encourages people to turn up every week. It's just basics, not to mention that social media is really poor. Wolves won the league last season but I bet most people in the city don't even know that we have a speedway team............

• Like 1

I'm not missing speedway at the NSS. I'd happily boycott away matches next month.