British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
a4poster

Speedway And Disabled Admission.

Having visited Poole yesterday I would like to know from other Supporters the policy on admission for Disabled persons. Although unlike Football (and most other major sports) where providing proof and in receipt of a certain level of DLA you can take a person as your Carer for free.

Obviously, I understand the financial state of Speedway and the ageing demographic that this could be financial suicide but I know from experience that some tracks providing you can show adequate proof they will allow that person in for the same price as a Senior Citizen (this I understand correct as a family member for many years oversaw the gate income/expenditure on race nights at a local Southern based team).

I am just interested to hear what the situation is around the Country from other tracks.

Note, I am not advocating a Carer is allowed in free but I feel a slight reduction in admission is appropriate.

Also, as an aside to this it may be worth Promotors informing Gate staff/operators that not all disabilities are visible.

• Like 2

Suppose every track has it's own rules regarding this sort of thing . I know Edinburgh lets the carer in , alongside the disabled person , for free , but Glasgow doesn't .

Likewise in other sports , Ayr horse racing track lets the carer in for free , while Exeter doesn't even have a reduced rate for the disabled person .

So there's no hard and fast rule for any sport .

Personally I think any club that would force a disabled persons carer to pay to get in should be ashamed of themselves . There's plenty other free loaders who get in for nowt that they should be cracking down on

• Like 6

IMHO much depends on the facilities in the stadium. If the facilities are such that the disabled person can manage without a carer, I see no reason for said carer to have free admission (reduced maybe but not free). If the disabled person is unable to fully use the facilities provided i.e. terracing, bar, toilets etc without help then the carer should be admitted free of charge.

As referred to above not all disabilities are visible but not all disabled people need a carer if the facilities provided are good.

I have to use the disabled facilities when I go to a match as I can longer stand up for more than 15 minutes and cannot use the steps to get to any seating unless there is a ramp. I do not need a carer yet ( thankfully ) but I believe one should be admitted free with the speedway fan paying a concessionary ticket. The carer is unlikely to be a fan ( although not of course impossible ). At the end of 2015 a good friend of mine had to stop attending matches ( after 70 years ) because he could no longer manage access without a carer, so these cases are real and it is a problem for some people.

I am not necessarily advocating the Carer goes free as I understand the financial state of British Speedway but I do feel a small reduction in admittance would be justified and appreciated.

My Son has an acquired brain injury so outwardly there is no sign of any disability, a brief communication with him you would think he is fine. It is only spending time with him you will realise the problems he has.

IMHO much depends on the facilities in the stadium. If the facilities are such that the disabled person can manage without a carer, I see no reason for said carer to have free admission (reduced maybe but not free). If the disabled person is unable to fully use the facilities provided i.e. terracing, bar, toilets etc without help then the carer should be admitted free of charge.

As referred to above not all disabilities are visible but not all disabled people need a carer if the facilities provided are good.

So what if the person being cared for has Autism?

And as for free admission for carers Swindon allow a carer in for free with proof of receiving carers allowance for the individual with a disibility whether physical or a learning one...a lot of attractions do also like Harry Potter studios etc

So what if the person being cared for has Autism?

And as for free admission for carers Swindon allow a carer in for free with proof of receiving carers allowance for the individual with a disibility whether physical or a learning one...a lot of attractions do also like Harry Potter studios etc

If the person with Autism is unable to cope alone then of course the carer should get in free. As for receiving Carers Allowance, many carers don't receive or claim it. That doesn't mean the person being cared for is any more or less disabled. I am a carer and have been for 30 years but don't get Carers Allowance having never claimed it. As I said before if the facilities are such that a disabled person can use them totally unaided and therefore have the same experience as a non disabled person I really don't see why a carer should get in free. However if a disabled person cannot use ALL the facilities (i.e. access toilets or all the terracing so as to choose their own viewing point) to the same standard as a non disabled person then they should.