British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Poole V Coventry Select. 19/4/17 7.30pm

We have this challenge meeting on Wednesday at Wimborne Road. I know the idea is to keep the Coventry name alive but is anyone bothered about this meeting? Its just a filler and I can't believe many fans are going to turn up to watch what is nothing more than a Poole team testing bikes against a select team.

Think it needs to be a tenner to get a decent crowd through the turnstiles.

Thoughts?

Steve Shovlar, on 16 Apr 2017 - 9:12 PM, said:

We have this challenge meeting on Wednesday at Wimborne Road. I know the idea is to keep the Coventry name alive but is anyone bothered about this meeting? Its just a filler and I can't believe many fans are going to turn up to watch what is nothing more than a Poole team testing bikes against a select team.

Think it needs to be a tenner to get a decent crowd through the turnstiles.

Thoughts?

Good idea Steve £10 to get in , do you think the Pirates promotion will take any notice of your suggestion ? What is the Select Bees team ?

Good idea Steve £10 to get in , do you think the Pirates promotion will take any notice of your suggestion ? What is the Select Bees team ?

No idea but it will be a hodge podge of riders from various clubs who signed for Coventry in the close season. If it wasn't in the easter hols we would be lucky to see a thousand there imo.

Even now he can't hide his glee at Coventry's closure and has to get a dig in. You know full well that several Coventry fans are interested in this meeting.

With the select side expected to include King, Harris, L.Bjerre, Garrity with Bates and Sarjeant at reserve, the opposition will likely be stronger than at least 5 of the 'real' teams that will visit Poole this season.

Several Coventry fans planning on making the trip. Presumably the same fans that reportedly provided Wolves with a larger crowd on Monday than they had for their League meeting the week before!

I agree that prices should be reduced though.

No idea but it will be a hodge podge of riders from various clubs who signed for Coventry in the close season. If it wasn't in the easter hols we would be lucky to see a thousand there imo.

You have made it clear from the tone of your past posts how pleased you are that the club is closed for the season and maybe for good.

Nobody is forcing you to go. If you don't want to then done. Simple 😉

• Like 1

The last two posters. Don't be ridiculous. No one wanted Coventry to close.

Several Coventry fans making the trip is not going to pack the place out. Need hundreds of Coventry fans there.

Where does the entry money go

Odd question. Same place as all meetings. Rent, wages and insurance mainly I would have though.

Odd question. Same place as all meetings. Rent, wages and insurance mainly I would have though.

Thought there might a fund of some sort to help Cov.

Guess someone could organise a few buckets. But doubt many Poole fans will dig deep to give to Horton.

King will end up riding more times for Coventry than he does for Leicester as he has only raced once in three home meetings so far for the lions and he is captain.

It will be interesting to see who he rides for at Leicester when they race Coventry or if he turns up.

Guess someone could organise a few buckets. But doubt many Poole fans will dig deep to give to Horton.

Whats the point.

King will end up riding more times for Coventry than he does for Leicester as he has only raced once in three home meetings so far for the lions and he is captain.

It will be interesting to see who he rides for at Leicester when they race Coventry or if he turns up.

Imagine King & Bates will ride for Leicester as they are their riders now

Exactly. I would rather give it to the six Coventry riders.