British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Aroundtheboards

Somerset V Swindon 21/4/17

This question was asked on Facebook and Àlun Rossiter replied to it stating Somerset are allowed a guest as it is his nations championship. If it wasn't allowed I'm pretty sure Rossiter wouldn't be backing the Rebels.

They are allowed a facility but not a guest. Rossiter clearly has not read the rule book.
  • Like 2

They are allowed a facility but not a guest. Rossiter clearly has not read the rule book.

No surprise there then.

• Like 1

Rule Book States

18.10.1 If a rider is representing their FMN in an FIM Speedway Championship, irrespective of the rider’s MA, a choice of Guest or Absent Rider Replacement facility (then the (if permitted by Art 18.10) is available. (if permitted by Art 18.10) is available. (if permitted by Art 18.10) is available. applies.)

so a guest is OK but if you use the a choice of Guest or Absent Rider Replacement facility then (if permitted by Art 18.10) is available. (if permitted by Art 18.10) is available

the word or defines it to two separate choices so Somerset chose the Guest

Is that plainer for all

Edited by idh

So fans clearly know better than two managers and the rest that have been granted guests for national championships in the past. Swindon are bottom of the league, I'm pretty sure Rossiter would argue if it was ineligible, he doesn't seem the type to care if he upsets anyone.

if permited by ART 18.10 is the key bit surely?

• Like 1

no that only applies if you dont elect to use a guest

This question was asked on Facebook and Àlun Rossiter replied to it stating Somerset are allowed a guest as it is his nations championship. If it wasn't allowed I'm pretty sure Rossiter wouldn't be backing the Rebels.

yes. It was me who asked it.

He has, because I posted a jpeg of the relevent sections!

They have all clearly agreed amongst themselves that if a rider is in a national championship then there can be a guest for a rider in positions 2 to 5 - so why keep a rule in the rule book that says you can't?

Surely they must know by know how anal we all get about the rule book!

I'm trying to see if there can be any ambiguity in the rule, and the only thing I can see is that what they mean is you can have a guest or rider replacement for the team positions that allow a facility in 18.10 - ie 1-5 but not 6 to 7. But if they do mean that, it takes a bit of lateral thinking for it to mean that.

But hes not riding in an FIM meeting. So 18.10.1 is NOT relevant.

16.5.1 d) says a facility is allowed but nowhere does it say a guest is allowed, just the normal facility for a missing 2-5 rider. Which is R/R.

Edited by SCB

But hes not riding in an FIM meeting. So 18.10.1 is NOT relevant.

It must be one of their "unwritten" rules then.

• Like 1

no that only applies if you dont elect to use a guest

So you're suggesting the ART 18.10 element only applied to the choice of R/R in this instance - looking at ART 18.10, only reserves (obviously) can't be covered by R/R anyway and a guest is permitted in this circumstance only, for a team position that is normally only covered by R/R?

If so, that rule is incredibly clumsily worded and has been mis-interpreted by a large proportion of fans

And it isn't a FIM meeting anyway, it'll be DMU - confused?!!!

Edited by frigbo

No i'm saying rule 18.10.1 applies

Edited by idh

But 18.10.1 then refers to "if permitted by Art 18.10" - therefore the definitive answer is in ART 18.10. That says R/R only for 2-5.

Oh, and of course the small matter that 18.10.1 is nullified by the fact it isn'ta FIM meeting Hougaard is at.

it's nonsense!

Why does 18.10.1 apply? 18.10.1 applies to FIM meetings, Paddys meeting is NOT an FIM meeting.

Willing to have a friendly wager with anyone that this facility isn't allowed. £20 to the SRBF say Brady isn't allowed to ride.