British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Aroundtheboards

Somerset V Swindon 21/4/17

Just back from Zummerrzet, managed to get down there in the end, glad I did, some great racing and a Swindon win. Superb from the Flying Frenchie. Rebels fans are lucky to watch this standard of racing regularly. Rebels unlucky but much needed win for The Robins. Good support for Swindon, and decent crowd in attendance. Good view for spectators, first time I've seen peacocks and chickens and a goat by turnstiles!

Nice little place Beefy, still has masses of potential..

For those accusing scb of trolling, this is what he does when proved wrong. Some of you might want to consider doing the same...

SCB is the font of all knowledge on the rule book on here and to be honest god knows how he knows these things given the complete bollox most of it is...

What does continue to amaze me ongoing is how team managers and promoters (who do need to know these things) often have no understanding whatsoever....

Maybe SCB should offer an advice service for a fee?😉

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

Chapeau David Chapeau.

Brilliant meeting. Last 3 heats were fantastic. I thought the two heats were Josh passed Nick were good but they paled into insignificance compared to the last three. Lost count of the passes in heat 13 and end with less than half a wheel between Josh and Jason. Heat 14 one moment David was in front the next third then back in front.

Final heat looked a 1-5 only for Doyle to make a mistake and drop to third. David then blocks Josh to allow Jason back through.

Have to say we were lucky as Josh was clear when his bike packed up and Starke was second when he stopped too.

If the BSPA want to promote speedway they need to get those last three heats on you tube or Bt Sport as a taster prior to the live speedway on there. The races will sell the sport.

• Like 6

Chapeau David Chapeau.

Brilliant meeting. Last 3 heats were fantastic. I thought the two heats were Josh passed Nick were good but they paled into insignificance compared to the last three. Lost count of the passes in heat 13 and end with less than half a wheel between Josh and Jason. Heat 14 one moment David was in front the next third then back in front.

Final heat looked a 1-5 only for Doyle to make a mistake and drop to third. David then blocks Josh to allow Jason back through.

Have to say we were lucky as Josh was clear when his bike packed up and Starke was second when he stopped too.

If the BSPA want to promote speedway they need to get those last three heats on you tube or Bt Sport as a taster prior to the live speedway on there. The races will sell the sport.

Heat 9 and heat 13 absolutely superb. I think I'd go as far as saying that's the best I've ever seen Josh ride. A massive pity he ended up on the losing side.

• Like 3

Agree wth previous posters about the last 3 races. Heat 13 in particular was an absolute classic. Both riders giving each other racing room and a race that can only be described as a duel. A fierce battle from tapes to finish.

Bellego, as in previous visits to the OTA was superb. He was fast, spectacular and ruthless. His heat 14 pass, coming from third to first around the inside of bends one and two, was stunning. He did his team mate Ellis no favours in one heat, taking his partner right out to the fence and leaving him no room. Ellis was subsequently filled in and trailed in last. Nevertheless, Rossister would have been pleased with the speed Ellis showed in his 3 other races.

Somerset were unlucky to lose this one, and although Tungate is not firing at the moment, I can't see too many teams winning at the OTA.

The Robins will be well pleased with this win and they delighted their healthy following of fans.

• Like 1

You can't run even a vaguely professional sport on one-off agreements. It's supposed to be a level playing field for all clubs.

Just when I get an inkling to give the sport another go, something ridiculous always comes along and reminds me why I shouldn't.

The sport is an utter farce...

It's a great sport. It's the rules that are farcical

first time I've seen peacocks and chickens and a goat by turnstiles!

Last time I was there a goat was wandering around the crowd near the start line! Edited by Shads
  • Like 1

Agree wth previous posters about the last 3 races. Heat 13 in particular was an absolute classic. Both riders giving each other racing room and a race that can only be described as a duel. A fierce battle from tapes to finish.

Bellego, as in previous visits to the OTA was superb. He was fast, spectacular and ruthless. His heat 14 pass, coming from third to first around the inside of bends one and two, was stunning. He did his team mate Ellis no favours in one heat, taking his partner right out to the fence and leaving him no room. Ellis was subsequently filled in and trailed in last. Nevertheless, Rossister would have been pleased with the speed Ellis showed in his 3 other races.

Somerset were unlucky to lose this one, and although Tungate is not firing at the moment, I can't see too many teams winning at the OTA.

The Robins will be well pleased with this win and they delighted their healthy following of fans.

An excellent summary of the evening's events ER...

JG very unlucky to have finished on the losing side. Showed great pace all night and to have beaten Doyle twice, once from the tapes, once from behind shows he is in good form at the moment.

Somerset can take heart from their performance and will be an extremely hard side to beat at home given the bad luck they suffered tonight.

As a result of this excellent meeting, B fixture has now been pencilled in.

• Like 4

I disagree.

Jan is near enough doing his job. It's likely he will only ever get 3 rides a meeting because we have Jake as our main reserve. Jan won heat 2 comfortably and is never too far out of the mix. I don't think we can ask for too much more from him.

Paul Starke is having abit of a tough time of it for us but he is always there or there abouts so I'm sure it's a matter of times before he starts banging in the decent scores for us. He was unfortunate tonight as he laid the bike down to avoid what looked like a falling Bellego, only for him to somehow stay on the bike. He also packed up when a clear 2nd, so just all things that impacted on his score as he was all over Bellego and Ellis when he laid the bike down.

Tungate however, is in massive danger. 6 from 5 rides and apart from one ride never really looking upto much. I've become a massive fan of Rohan after last season and I raved about him being our rider of the season. However he isn't cutting the mustard at the moment and his average is due to drop massively. I would expect him to be given one more home match next week against Kings Lynn and if things don't improve then he will be shown the door before his average drops and we lose out massively.

On a side note, take a bow Josh Grajczonek. Absolutely stunning performance tonight. Incredible races passing Morris from behind twice and Doyle from the back too. His last to first nearly as good as heat 13. Take a bow.

As I said I don't like to say it but I just think those three are the problems atm, we have a team in depth so cannot afford for riders in the 1-5 to be scoring below their average and we need our reserves to be scoring over their average. Those three aren't.

I disagree.

Jan is near enough doing his job. It's likely he will only ever get 3 rides a meeting because we have Jake as our main reserve. Jan won heat 2 comfortably and is never too far out of the mix. I don't think we can ask for too much more from him.

Paul Starke is having abit of a tough time of it for us but he is always there or there abouts so I'm sure it's a matter of times before he starts banging in the decent scores for us. He was unfortunate tonight as he laid the bike down to avoid what looked like a falling Bellego, only for him to somehow stay on the bike. He also packed up when a clear 2nd, so just all things that impacted on his score as he was all over Bellego and Ellis when he laid the bike down.

Tungate however, is in massive danger. 6 from 5 rides and apart from one ride never really looking upto much. I've become a massive fan of Rohan after last season and I raved about him being our rider of the season. However he isn't cutting the mustard at the moment and his average is due to drop massively. I would expect him to be given one more home match next week against Kings Lynn and if things don't improve then he will be shown the door before his average drops and we lose out massively.

On a side note, take a bow Josh Grajczonek. Absolutely stunning performance tonight. Incredible races passing Morris from behind twice and Doyle from the back too. His last to first nearly as good as heat 13. Take a bow.

Good informative post Naj, if Rohan does need to be replaced, who is out there to fill his boots. BTW I agree with your points re Starkey, Jake and Jan. As we all know it's very awkward with Rohan, he was fantastic last season , I don't get how he has apparently fallen so far. Not being there I not about to offer an opinion, can anyone give me an idea on what may have gone wrong for him. Edited by Cliffeboy

I disagree.

Agreed ! Josh rode a blinder but this comes to nought if he doesn't get the support he needs and deserves. He, too, will lose heart !

Whilst I`m more than happy to acknowledge that I was wrong in thinking a guest would be allowed last evening, it would be good to know why Brady Kurtz was actually stopped from riding. Rule 18.10.1 is obviously in there for a reason and I can only assume that the DMU qualifier status of the Danish meeting did not meet the 18.10.1 criteria. If anyone knows Rosco or Gary May maybe we can be told why !!

• Like 1

As I said I don't like to say it but I just think those three are the problems atm, we have a team in depth so cannot afford for riders in the 1-5 to be scoring below their average and we need our reserves to be scoring over their average. Those three aren't.

Barely any riders will meet their average because so many riders started the season on false averages. Everybody's starting points limit was 50.00 whereas the average will be about 42.00.

Jason Doyle for example started on 13.00+ and can only ever achieve a maximum of 12.00 if he wins every race :rolleyes:

At the moment I think only Hougaard's average is due to go up, maybe Jake Allen too. When we won the old premier league last year our total averages was only 47.00 so again, averages were bound to go down!

Whilst I`m more than happy to acknowledge that I was wrong in thinking a guest would be allowed last evening, it would be good to know why Brady Kurtz was actually stopped from riding. Rule 18.10.1 is obviously in there for a reason and I can only assume that the DMU qualifier status of the Danish meeting did not meet the 18.10.1 criteria. If anyone knows Rosco or Gary May maybe we can be told why !!

RR think you are spot on.

question who objected?

• Like 1

Good informative post Naj, if Rohan does need to be replaced, who is out there to fill his boots. BTW I agree with your points re Starkey, Jake and Jan. As we all know it's very awkward with Rohan, he was fantastic last season , I don't get how he has apparently fallen so far. Not being there I not about to offer an opinion, can anyone give me an idea on what may have gone wrong for him.

As I have said in a previous post - Rohan was the same last year - he started very slowly for Swindon and was close to being dropped and then everything just clicked and he was on fire and winning races for fun. OK he wasn't Swindon's number 1 but if you drop him and he finds his form like last season, you will be kicking yourself! Keep the faith - he will improve.

• Like 2