Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
RPNY

Rising Crowds This Season?

Only seen videos & pictures but looks like the crowds are up big time this year with a lot of clubs - is this the case or am I sadly mistaken?

Based upon what I have seen and read, I think there is reason for cautious optimism. Rye House, in particular, was very impressive - biggest I have ever seen by far.

Lakeside, Kent, Peterborough, Ipswich, Berwick & Belle Vue have all had good attendances when I have been there.

What has to be the case is that the quality of the product is high - although I haven't done too badly, there have been a lot of complaints about the standard of the racing.

Edited by Halifaxtiger

Thank you for that.

I thought although the top league is weaker (compared to Poland/Sweden) it looked less lop sided and therefore better product. I maybe wrong tho!

Rather like when the adjusted new averages come out, we will by then be able to judge if the BSPA Marketing Big Push has had any positive effect on crowd levels. The first four matches or so still have that " Hurray a new speedway season, I'm looking forward to that" effect on attendances. With the poor racing I have seen so far - tapes to flag with rarely any change of position - crowd levels may well nosedive despite the positive spin some try to put on it.

Certainly in 2 of the 3 Swindon home meetings the car park has been full, excellent considering the weaker line-ups and new stadium issues, and poor weather last Sunday.

Certainly in 2 of the 3 Swindon home meetings the car park has been full, excellent considering the weaker line-ups and new stadium issues, and poor weather last Sunday.

But will that be the case after the four week gap until the next PL meeting?

But will that be the case after the four week gap until the next PL meeting?

Only if the sun is shining, and Robins haven't been ammered in all their away matches. The footie season will have finished by mid May, some fans can't afford to follow both. They have a month to save for the next meeting!

Could it partly be some people going to meetings because they can't get their Speedway fix on TV at the moment?

• Like 2

I don't know the numbers but wolves crowds look poor to me , I was looking from the center green against belle vue on Tuesday and there was a lot of empty space on the teraces and belle vue brought a few fans too

Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 1

Poole crowd don't look it's on the up that maybe partly due to the shambles of Darcy's meeting at the start of the season

As Belle Vue now has a total electronic ticket system, with no cash at the turnstiles, they should be able to produce accurate crowd figures for any home meeting.

As to why none of the speedway clubs release figures, accurate or otherwise, I will leave for you to reckon why.

At best at this time crowd figures can only be a guestimate.

The excellent crowds at some tracks down here in the south will only be maintained if the standard of the meetings improves,,Better track surfices which have been very poor in many cases, and meetings run with a greater sense of urgency and efficiency are vital..so its largely down to the managements at all tracks to listen to the fans and give them what they want .!!!!

• Like 5

A bit surprising when fans report about some of the decisions made by certain promoters re getting the fans into the stadia, the meeting delays rather than getting the meetings run in under 2 hours.

The weather has been reasonable and the teams seem to be closer in their performance, which should result in closer racing.

It will be interesting to see what the numbers are like when BT start showing meetings.

I hope the crowds continue to attend or improve further as it certainly improves the atmosphere on the terraces.

The crowds so fat this season at Brewick have been pretty decent , mainly due to the fact that we've had mostly local derbies so far , added to,the fact the the new promoters/ ownership seeems to have attracted a few old faces back . Be interesting to see how the levels are when the visitors aren't quite as local as Edinburgh, Glasgow etc