Alex Spooner 8+1

James Laker 3+1

FALCONS

Andrew Palmer 3

Craig Nethercott 3

Stevie Anderson 1+1

Rob Watts 1

• Like 2

So a new era in speedway has started tonight at Central Park Sittingbourne. The very first Southern Development League (SDL) matches took place tonight hosted by the all new Kent Kestrels who hosted a pair of Nomadic teams doing well to keep their team names active.

Meeting one featured The Kent Kestrels Vs the Exeter Falcons. Bradley Andrews taking the honour of winning the new leagues first ever race, and his winning time of 62.0 stands as the SDL track record. Three of the Kestrels (Andrews Spooner Couzins) went unbeaten by an opponent and local schoolboy James Laker had a fine showing to score paid 4 in his debut. Whilst the scoreline of 27-8 seems one sided, there were plenty of positives from the guests. Rob Watt suprisingly only scored 1 but another local lad Andrew Palmer scored a very well earn't paid 4 points which once he gains some confidence he will progress towards NL quite quickly. Stevie Anderson looks like he has the basics in place, and Craig Nethercott lead heat 5 for 3 and a half laps before making a mistake coming off turn 2 allowing Couzins to steal the win.

The second match featured the Weymouth Wildcats, the heathens opened between the two meetings which slowed down the races but in truth never really caused the riders to much trouble. The first heat started the same as the first meeting with Andrews and Couzins raced to an easy 5-1 over Martin French and faller Niall Strudwick. Heat 2 started in dramatic fashion with Connor Locke flying into the first turn and falling with James Laker coming down as a result. Riders all ok but Laker suffered bike problems which prevented him from entering the rerun and prevented him scoring in his other rides too. With Locke being excluded it left 2 riders with Spooner who got paid maxes in both meetings beating Tom Meakins to the win. The next 3 heats were all shared races with Connor Locke winning in impressive style in heat 3 in so doing becoming the only visiting rider to beat both Andrews and Couzins in the process. With laker having bike issues in the next 2 heats the gap going into the final heat was 4 points so an away 5-1 would lead to a draw. The result was 5-1 but to the home team, with Andrews and Spooner holding off the quick looking Locke, whilst Strudwick was again a faller.

Really showed what the league is about, NL reserves taking confidence boosting wins. The next generation like Laker and Palmer, getting that valuable early experience of team speedway and of course the journeyman riders like Watts and Strudwick who show no signs of improvement but have a league they can ride their passion at a competitive level.

A great evening of entertainment for 6 quid, what's not to love.

• Like 1

Well thats 6 quid i won't get back. Im normally hugely entertained by MDL/SDL but last night was 8 processional races between some very mismatched teams. Kent tracking 3 NL riders doesn't really sit with the spirit of these leagues with me & i certainly didn't get the sense from the stands that the majority had been entertained.

There has been some track work during the past week but it appeared to leave turns 1&2 cutting up quite badly whilst 3&4 remained slick. Some very dodgy starts which would have been pulled back at NL & excessive 2 minutes when it was Kent riders being waited on.

I applaud Kent for running in the league and providing invaluable track time to riders and perhaps next time it will provide some level of entertainment.

Kent tracking 3 NL riders doesn't really sit with the spirit of these leagues with me

If they'd tracked 3 NL riders they would be breaking the rules.

Teams are allowed to track 1 NL rider up to a 4.00 average and 1 NL rider on a 3.00 average.

That's exactly what they did (Andrews 3.07 & Couzins 3.00) , so no problems.

However if you're suggesting that Spooner (who isn't in a NL declaration) should be in a NL declaration because the current Kent NL team declaration is illegal, then you would have a point.

Edited by WalterPlinge

If they'd tracked 3 NL riders they would be breaking the rules.

Teams are allowed to track 1 NL rider up to a 4.00 average and 1 NL rider on a 3.00 average.

That's exactly what they did (Andrews 3.07 & Couzins 3.00) , so no problems.

However if you're suggesting that Spooner (who isn't in a NL declaration) should be in a NL declaration because the current Kent NL team declaration is illegal, then you would have a point.

If by meaning the Kent team declaration is illegal because they have a rider named within the 1-7 who is ineligible to ride at present then i would certainly agree with you.

As for the SDL side it was certainly legal but was it in the correct spirit? No skin off my nose either way i just hope those running Weymouth & Exeter on a voluntary basis are not too disheartened by it.

Of course Kent tracked 3 current NL riders albeit Spooner is about to lose his place in the Kent Team.

Quite right, Alex Spooner has NEVER been in a declared 1-7, not even named as a No 8.

If by meaning the Kent team declaration is illegal because they have a rider named within the 1-7 who is ineligible to ride at present then i would certainly agree with you.

As for the SDL side it was certainly legal but was it in the correct spirit? No skin off my nose either way i just hope those running Weymouth & Exeter on a voluntary basis are not too disheartened by it.

Illegal teams. rule bending , starting to look like the MDL already , no surprise though though

Illegal teams. rule bending , starting to look like the MDL already , no surprise though though

In fairness any illegal teams tracked in the MDL were retrospectively resolved. Equally there is nothing to stop a side running 2 x NL riders & 2 x number 8's. Immoral possibly but illegal no.