British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Hawk127

Is It Time To Put The Fun Back Into The Sport

It is very unfortunate that some of the icons such as Leigh Adams and the one and only Mr Gollob have sustained injuries. Having all but left speedway and tried other two wheeled sports it is sad that they seem to come a cropper having been in one of the most dangerous motor bike competitions in the world. Could the talent they had/have and others who hang up the Kevlars from competitive league racing be part of a touring team that grace tracks in challenge matches. These guys might no longer have got what it takes to compete at GP level but they could still entertain the public and pass on a few tips to the up and coming generation. Imagine (and unfortunately it will not happen but you can get the drift) if Leigh, Tomasz, Mr Crump, Chris Louis, Jason Lyons, Mark Loram and a number of others toured tracks in the U.K. and Europe with a series of challenge matches. Just need a sponsor and it could be one for the future. I am sure people would pay good money to see the legends, win or lose. Meanwhile, Mr Gollob you have been a joy to watch and having seen you at Ipswich I like many others have been honoured. May you make a good recovery.

• Like 1

Mauger ,Briggs &co did something similar in the 80's it was quite popular but I believe that once a rider retires from the sport they are reluctant to return to track action ,I think also Ronnie Moore was seriously injured during the Golden Greats .

Edited by FAST GATER
  • Like 2

Mauger ,Briggs &co did something similar in the 80's it was quite popular but I believe that once a rider retires from the sport they are reluctant to return to track action ,I think also Ronnie Moore was seriously injured during the Golden Greats .

Yes I remember Briggo's Golden Greats Meeting at Brandon in 1988...all good fun and at least it gave me the chance to see the great Ove Fundin put in a few laps!

• Like 1

Ronnies serious injury happened long before Briggos golden greats era.

this is so true , when I put on the buxton air fence meeting I had this very idea but I just didn't realise riders would be so reluctant to get back on a bike , I think I tried around 100 ex riders from all different era's and some just refused saying they will never get back on a bike again , some said they wouldn't race but would do a couple of practice laps , it took me by surprise as I thought they would all jump at the chance , I agree it's a great idea though
  • Like 1

Personally I wouldn't go to such meaningless events, even if they were free (I prefer to remember all those great riders at their peak) but I do accept that others might like it.

Personally I wouldn't go to such meaningless events, even if they were free (I prefer to remember all those great riders at their peak) but I do accept that others might like it.

So, does a top notch rider, start out as a 'wobbler' and end up a 'wobbler'? :unsure:

It is a shame that former riders and those who have recently stepped down then go all out at other two wheeled disciplines and end up coming a cropper. Yes they were legends and they gave many supporters so much entertainment. The thought was that they could be more of a teacher/training team and simply having some of the greats turn up and not only put on a challenge match but also pass on some of that experience. Even if it was a handicap match, I am sure that supporters would turn out if it was promoted well and it could even be part of say a two wheeled motor sport al day event with say short track and side car. No it is not meant to be like a league meeting but all that is good about oval track racing.