British Speedway Forum

Speedway photographers in focus!

Someone mentioned John Hipkiss in a previous post. John took some excellent pics at Cradley, Wolves and Birmingham (his regular haunts) in the late 70s and throughout the 80s and supplied Speedway Mail on a weekly basis. He is still producing good work for Speedway Star today.

Of course, when comparing photographers, you have to bear in mind the circumstances (and in some cases) restraints in which they worked. Wright Wood and Alf Weedon operated for decades at very poorly lit tracks using archaic camera equipment, whereas Patrick and those who followed had the benefit of more advanced cameras and improved track lighting, as well as being allowed to snap away using flash.

Without being disrespectful to current snappers, it's much easier taking speedway pictures today compared to the pre-digital age when old-fashioned film (or glass) were used. Auto-tocus, much faster shutter speeds, better track lighting, the option to choose from many frames of more or less the same image . . . how Wright and Alf would have enjoyed that luxury.

• Like 1

Ian Charles,who takes pix at both Belle Vue and Buxton also taught photography at college and is also a very friendly,no ego sorta guy

• Like 1

If you want to check out the most comprehensive, unrivalled collection of speedway images sourced from numerous different photographers through the ages, then look no further than John Somerville's superb site at http://www.skidmarks1928.com/v/photos/john-somerville-collection

To see my name on the list of speedway photographers also recalled memories for me of that period when I also used to cover football at Millwall, Charlton, Crystal Palace, Dulwich Hamlet. There was also rugby union at Blackheath and Old Colfeians, athletics at Crystal Palace, motor racing at Crystal Palace, cycling at Herne Hill, while I also did a few stock car meetings at Wimbledon Stadium. However most of the photography was nearly 50 years ago. But speedway was always my favourite sports coverage.

Edited by Guest

Some years have passed since this thread originated. I would be interested if any poster could provide - if that's possible? - an update to previous comments?

Edited by Guest

As a youngster I loved the Wright Wood piccys and the Craven and Hyde Rd classics are still on my living room wall (and I'm a Wolves fan!). In later years I was amazed by the quality of action pics in the Arena Essex programmes, you could count the wheel spokes with ease. Apologies for not knowing the name of the photographer.