British Speedway Forum

Speedway photographers in focus!

IMO his photos are second rate at best! You need to take a look at HMX work, you should know Mark, you have seen enough of my photos off him!!!

Yes mate you are right,real quality what about MICK KILBY forgot about him got some great photos from him from my early years at the Abbey.On the dear side you used to go up the stairs to the now FIVE STAR restaurant 😀😜🤓 and Mick's pictures were in the window they were top class as well. Edited by Sidney the robin

Mike Patrick IMO was in a class of his own in his day, iv got over 1000 photos of Mikes work all in A3

But for me now HMX images (Haggis Hartman) Just in another World!

Do you have a link, please

Mike Patrick IMO was in a class of his own in his day, iv got over 1000 photos of Mikes work all in A3

But for me now HMX images (Haggis Hartman) Just in another World!

Do you have a link, please

Midland Red - a Mike Patrick contact Link is carried in message 14 of this thread.

Midland Red - a Mike Patrick contact Link is carried in message 14 of this thread.

I meant for HMX

I meant for HMX

Out of interest I did a Google search for HMX Images. Several appeared but when I tried to use the Links they were all refused. I have no idea why.

I don't even know what HMX means. Does anybody recall my favourite photo of all time-the one of the 1964 British Final with Brian Brett, who was the leading qualifier and hot favourite to get to the World Final sitting on his keyster at Wembley after falling in his first ride. He looked bemused thinking I've lost my chance-which indeed he had. I assume the photo must have been taken by Alf Weedon who gets my vote as the greatest photog.

My favourite all time pictures that i have in order are 1.Tom Farndon with Dicky Case 1935 Wembley 2. A Briggo picture leading Mauger at Hyde Rd 1970/71? and Tommy Jansson a superb action picture in the Mike Patrick book 1976.

Here is a useful contact Link to Mike Patrick:

http://beta.mike-patrick.com

I have had a Facebook message from Mike Patrick who tells me that he is in hospital recovering from a hip replacement operation. I am sure everyone will join in wishing him a speedy recovery.

I meant for HMX

If you go on to FB you will find HMX images, He is all ways at Somerset sometimes Poole and Swindon. I'm a big photo collector, his work is out of this world!

If you go on to FB you will find HMX images, He is all ways at Somerset sometimes Poole and Swindon. I'm a big photo collector, his work is out of this world!

Thanks for that. Not on "FB" so guess I won't see any

I have had a Facebook message from Mike Patrick who tells me that he is in hospital recovering from a hip replacement operation. I am sure everyone will join in wishing him a speedy recovery.

​Here is an update message from Mike Patrick following his hip replacement operation:

I'm glad to say that I escaped from hospital yesterday and am now settled in comfortably back home with a nice new shiny hip installed. Everything went really well and it's so good to be able to do some basics once again without being racked with pain.

Thank you once more for all the wonderful messages that have been left to encourage my recovery, they've certainly helped to keep my spirits up. It's physio time now, so onwards and upwards

Ken Carpenter,(always with his hat on,I seem to remember ! ) a familiar face on the infield at Owlerton and elsewhere in the 1980s/90s.A lot of his work was in the Speedway Mail.

Ken was a very fine photographer, technically very good - he even taught photography at college where he lived in Sheffield. It was because of the superb quality images he produced and the reliable service he provided that we took the plunge and decided to add full colour, glossy covers to Speedway Mail in 1987.

But what I loved about Ken, too, was his humility and lack of ego - unlike one or two snappers who think they are God's gift. He always remembered that the riders were the 'stars' and he was just there to photograph them.

In his trademark hat, he snapped away for the Mail from 1982 until the mid-90s. Quiet, unassuming and simply doing his job.

He and his wife emigrated to one of the Greek islands some years back but he still keeps in touch.

And I'm delighted to say, his brilliant photography still adorns the pages of Backtrack and most books we publish at Retro Speedway.

Another part-time snapper, who could also churn out many words for the Mail, was Coventry-based Bruce Grainger, who sadly died of a sudden heart attack at home in the 90s. Bruce liked to puff on his pipe and had a laconic, unflappable way about him.

• Like 2

Ken was a very fine photographer, technically very good - he even taught photography at college where he lived in Sheffield. It was because of the superb quality images he produced and the reliable service he provided that we took the plunge and decided to add full colour, glossy covers to Speedway Mail in 1987.

But what I loved about Ken, too, was his humility and lack of ego - unlike one or two snappers who think they are God's gift. He always remembered that the riders were the 'stars' and he was just there to photograph them.

In his trademark hat, he snapped away for the Mail from 1982 until the mid-90s. Quiet, unassuming and simply doing his job.

He and his wife emigrated to one of the Greek islands some years back but he still keeps in touch.

And I'm delighted to say, his brilliant photography still adorns the pages of Backtrack and most books we publish at Retro Speedway.

Another part-time snapper, who could also churn out many words for the Mail, was Coventry-based Bruce Grainger, who sadly died of a sudden heart attack at home in the 90s. Bruce liked to puff on his pipe and had a laconic, unflappable way about him.

So true about Ken and his ego Tony. A true gentleman, and it was always a pleasure to be in the pits when he was around, and you are so correct about one or two who thought they were gods gift..... lol

• Like 1

So true about Ken and his ego Tony. A true gentleman, and it was always a pleasure to be in the pits when he was around, and you are so correct about one or two who thought they were gods gift..... lol

Sadly some of them around these days! But let's not deviate from what this thread is about to name them! The concentration should be on photographers from what were the great old days of speedway.

In the OP I gave these names as the best ever speedway photographers:

1) Wright Wood.

(2) Mike Patrick.

(3) Alf Weedon.

(4) Trevor Meeks.

I stand by that opinion.

Edited by Guest