Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
dantodan

British Semi-final On Sunday April 30th At Brough Park.

The question is why was Bewley not in a Semi Final? if he had of qualified he would of been a threat in the fiinal to anyone.

Purely down to average at end of 2016.

Agree its a shame because quite obviously he has already leapfrogged some that were in the field but you have to set criteria and a cut off date somewhere which shouldnt be manipulated for individual cases.

Similarly Lambert is unfortunate. But again should a spot in the 2nd semi become free it shouldnt go to him for example. The set criteria for who is next in line should apply.

• Like 3

I'm just doing a catch up.

Have I missed something, how come Rory Schlien is racing in the semi of the British Final? I thought he's Australian.

Can anyone shed any light on this.

Have I missed something, how come Rory Schlien is racing in the semi of the British Final? I thought he's Australian.

Ridden on British licence for the past 3 seasons and is now eligible for British Final.

Not true. He had rang to say he would be late due to a breakdown, and provision was made for a parking space near the outside gate to get his van in quicker. Same as for Richard Lawson who was also planned to be late at arriving. It only became obvious that he could be missing for his first ride in heat 2, and that would mean he would be excluded from the meeting by the referee. My Gems rider Josh had been called up after lunch to replace Danny Phillips, who had been called up to replace BBQ victim Boxhall in the 16 man field. Josh was on standby but it was left to heat 2 when Robert was still missing and then excluded. Josh then rode his 4 other rides.

I don't think Robert was excluded from heat 2 (unless you mean he was unable to take his programmed rides after missing heat 2?).

Edited by Steve Park

he has been riding on a British liscence for 5 years, so now he is British :)

hopefully, a hope other foreigners don't get 'wind of this', as then all they'll have to do is, come over here and pass their driving test and after a while they'll automatically become British and wont have to worry about the imigration people :(

• Like 1

There was some confusion on updates site about the two run offs and I was thinking it was on most heat wins ,or when the riders met each other or fastest time if they had the same heat wins.Me and the lad next to me was talking about it at the meeting till I looked at the programme and in the bottom right hand side it stated:Run offs only to determine meeting winner or the last qualifying/reserve place. Taken from the official race day magazine.

• Like 1

he has been riding on a British liscence for 5 years, so now he is British :)

hopefully, a hope other foreigners don't get 'wind of this', as then all they'll have to do is, come over here and pass their driving test and after a while they'll automatically become British and wont have to worry about the imigration people :(

he has also been granted British Citizenship so it is not just tge licence position.

That said Im still 50/50 about him taking a place given he has no intention (it seems) of representing GB.

Well as a Witches fan I'd like to say well done to Rory on winning the first semi final although tbf I'm a bit puzzled as to why he wants to compete as well.

If he's officially British now and has previously actually raced as a Brit in I believe a minor pairs event of some sort at some point I can't understand why he wouldn't want to ride for team GB? After all I would have thought he's not high on the list to get in the Aussie team these days.

He's certainly better than a lot of the British riders in contention for the GB team, not all by any means but quite alot of them.

• Like 1

No worries mate. I get odd looks when I'm cheering as loud as I can, but someone has to show support for them in some way! ;)

I got odd looks from Somerset fans when Swindon got a last heat 5-1 to win 46-44 last week, shouting and leaping around, that's what watching sport is all about, the raw passion and emotion. Should be more shouting and leaping.

• Like 1

There was some confusion on updates site about the two run offs and I was thinking it was on most heat wins ,or when the riders met each other or fastest time if they had the same heat wins.Me and the lad next to me was talking about it at the meeting till I looked at the programme and in the bottom right hand side it stated:Run offs only to determine meeting winner or the last qualifying/reserve place. Taken from the official race day magazine.

Any confusion arose because the speedway regulations covering the meeting state that there will not be run-offs - ties are resolved by countback (more wins, or second etc) then who beat who.

Last night the ultimate result would have been the same under either method, but what if Ben had won the eighth-place run-off?

• Like 1

I not that bothered what the rules are but why keep changing them for different meetings. Surely league, individuals , gps whatever it is should have the same rules. It's simple stuff really

Heard Boxall out BBQ injury!

As for the semi line ups they are clearly designed for local interest other than impartiality

Boxhall seems to have an off track problem or accident at the start of every season, which then holds him back for the whole season. Is that merely bad luck or carelessness?

Similarly Lambert is unfortunate. But again should a spot in the 2nd semi become free it shouldnt go to him for example. The set criteria for who is next in line should apply.

The criteria is pick a random rider. Danny Phillips was allowed to leap frog Dan Bewley. It's a bloody joke!

I got odd looks from Somerset fans when Swindon got a last heat 5-1 to win 46-44 last week, shouting and leaping around, that's what watching sport is all about, the raw passion and emotion. Should be more shouting and leaping.

Would boost the atmosphere if every fan started jumping about for a heat advantage.

• Like 1

The criteria is pick a random rider. Danny Phillips was allowed to leap frog Dan Bewley. It's a bloody joke!

wasnt Phillips named as official meeting reserve?

When withdrawal happens on day of meeting place goes to that reserve rather than next on average list.