British Speedway Forum

Hard to believe it is 40 years ago today that Kevin Holden was taken from us,a night we will never forget. RIP kevin

• Like 1

Hard to believe it is 40 years ago today that Kevin Holden was taken from us,a night we will never forget. RIP kevin

I was attending a meeting at White City when the news filtered thru'.

RIP

R.I.P. Kevin

I remember watching Kevin race when he raced for West Ham.

R.I.P. Kevin

I remember watching Kevin race when he raced for West Ham.

Followed Kevin from being a second halfer to becoming Number 1 in just a season at Romford . A great rider and fans favourite. Hard to believe it was so long ago.

Good to see Kevin being rightfully remembered. There never was a memorial meeting for him. I was 13 and was numb for ages. It was horrible. When the announcement came through...."Ladies and gentlemen...it is with deep regret...".... That was it..There were screams from the crowd and it was utterly sombre then. 40 years ago..Wow.

See Kevin ride quite a few times for Exeter and Poole ( where he had started superbiy).Can remember the day being told like Gary Petersen and Tommy Jansson a real shock for a young un none of them will ever be forgotten RIP.

• Like 1

Kevin was liked by everyone, maybe appropriate with 40 years now past (subject to family approval) to hold a memorial meeting?

From the Poole v Wolverhampton programme editorial, 3rd May 1978:

"As we look forward this evening to the encounter with Wolverhampton, we pause to pay tribute to the memory of the late Kevin Holden, whose tragic accident occurred just twelve months ago.

Kevin's wife, Tina, and his father, Mr. George Holder, have presented a cup to be awarded to the highest Poole point-scorer in the match, and this will be handed to the successful rider by Mr. Charles Foot, President of the BSPA and Poole's Company Secretary."

Malcolm Simmons and Martin Yeates were joint top scorers with 9 apiece. There was no note in the programme as to whom the trophy was awarded.

• Like 1

I was attending a meeting at White City when the news filtered thru'.

RIP

I was at the same meeting. I remember about 5 minutes after the announcement, Marek Cieslak blasting around the outside and I was thinking, OMG, did you not just hear that announcement.

• Like 1

Good to see Kevin being rightfully remembered. There never was a memorial meeting for him. I was 13 and was numb for ages. It was horrible. When the announcement came through...."Ladies and gentlemen...it is with deep regret...".... That was it..There were screams from the crowd and it was utterly sombre then. 40 years ago..Wow.

i am very surprised that such an announcement would be made - i would have thought family, etc would need to be informed first. Perhaps they were present, i don't know. I have never witnessed a fatal crash at a meeting and would never wish to. The Gunderson/ Cross crash at Odsal was bad enough.

He was a really lovely person and I was devastated at the awful news.

Proberly because I was a teenager back then and tragedies stay with you but losing Kevin, Gary Petersen and Tommy Jansson has stayed with me the past 40 years

Proberly because I was a teenager back then and tragedies stay with you but losing Kevin, Gary Petersen and Tommy Jansson has stayed with me the past 40 years

The same Bruno also the Martin Hewlett tragedy was a huge shock.

The same Bruno also the Martin Hewlett tragedy was a huge shock.

Gary Peterson was my first speedway-related death, then Tommy Jansson. It really shocked me as a teenager, somebody doing something I loved watching was a t risk of being killed. Kevin Holden was scoring really well in his few matches for new club Poole, I recall, and still know what Star magazine (Steve Bastable on the cover) the news of his death featured.

Really does stick in the memory... even 40 years on.

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 1

Gary Peterson was my first speedway-related death, then Tommy Jansson. It really shocked me as a teenager, somebody doing something I loved watching was a t risk of being killed. Kevin Holden was scoring really well in his few matches for new club Poole, I recall, and still know what Star magazine (Steve Bastable on the cover) the news of his death featured.

Really does stick in the memory... even 40 years on.

Have the speedway star and the express, never really knew alot about Kevin's early career Romford .But have a few programmes of him riding for Young England and i am sure he rode against a young Tommy Jansson,Jansson i remember had a good series for Young Sweden.