British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
lucifer sam

Scunthorpe Scorpions Vs Berwick Bandits ( S G B Championship) - Sunday, April 30th (3pm)

Every other promoter in the league should object if this is attempted.

Like for like or Gappmaier to be on his 6 acheived IMO.

I don't think another rider has had their average reassessed before they have completed the required meetings. If the BSPA decides that Berwick should be the first again then they will probably need to add 6 last places to his total races this season to give him a look of having raced the required meeting's.

Seem to remember a few year's ago they were the first (and probably only) team to be refused a team declaration because the rider raced for them the previous season (tried to introduce the rider one month into the season).

Edited by blast from the past
  • Like 1

Youre right I dont think this reg has been invoked before but this season is a bit different.

ALL riders will receive a new average from just their 2017 meetings.

Had full rolling averages been in place there wouldve been a genuine average to use.

Also should be taken into account that he missed the meeting in circumstances where no facility was available and not due to injury or for a meting considered acceptable within the regs.

Berwick should not benefit to the tune of 2 points when redeclaring as a result of this scenario IMO.

• Like 2

I don't think another rider has had their average reassessed before they have completed the required meetings. If the BSPA decides that Berwick should be the first again then they will probably need to add 6 last places to his total races this season to give him a look of having raced the required meeting's.

Plenty have had their average reassessed. Probably the most popular one was Joe Screen at Poole in 2009.

But it's happened plenty of times but most teams have known this so haven't tried to redeclare.

Coventry were stopped a few years back too. We introduced Nichols, he rode against Ipswich and the BSPA removed his points. Frampton had missed a meeting riding for Newport. http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/speedway/buildbase-bees-battling-rulebook-row-3080905.amp

Edited by SCB

Plenty have had their average reassessed. Probably the most popular one was Joe Screen at Poole in 2009.

But it's happened plenty of times but most teams have known this so haven't tried to redeclare.

Coventry were stopped a few years back too. We introduced Nichols, he rode against Ipswich and the BSPA removed his points. Frampton had missed a meeting riding for Newport. http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/speedway/buildbase-bees-battling-rulebook-row-3080905.amp

Do you think Gapp's will get re-assessed or not?

Do you think Gapp's will get re-assessed or not?

He should based on the rules and previous scenarios. Christ even Poole were stopped using the rule and they get away with murder.

With Dany staying on a 4 our average will be 36.1

Carr is able to move to number 7 so no need for him and Payne to both be in the team really, although Payne has been ok in 2 meetings, Etheridge out possibly? Can get 7.9 for Etheridge. This will all be changed if they give Gapp an average despite only doing 3H 3A.

Averages are

Morris 8.97

Etheridge 4.00

Doolan 7.26

Carr 1.87 (3.00)

Bridger 6.26

Gappmaier 4.00

Payne 2.68

With Dany staying on a 4 our average will be 36.1

Carr is able to move to number 7 so no need for him and Payne to both be in the team really, although Payne has been ok in 2 meetings, Etheridge out possibly? Can get 7.9 for Etheridge. This will all be changed if they give Gapp an average despite only doing 3H 3A.

Averages are

Morris 8.97

Etheridge 4.00

Doolan 7.26

Carr 1.87 (3.00)

Bridger 6.26

Gappmaier 4.00

Payne 2.68

Why don't we get Jake Allen, I heard he I looking for a championship ride after Somerset refused to let him ride in Poland this year .....

Would fit on average 5.96 rode last year in no 2. Highest bonus point rider in league last year. We could revisit 2015 and finally get him here

Why don't we get Jake Allen, I heard he I looking for a championship ride after Somerset refused to let him ride in Poland this year .....

Would fit on average 5.96 rode last year in no 2. Highest bonus point rider in league last year. We could revisit 2015 and finally get him here

We don't have the sponsored visa thing

thanks SCB - for the life of me I couldnt think of any specific incident.

The fact there has been such precedent only backs up my point.

Isn't Jye, Nick and Kevin all Aussies

Nick Morris has a UK passport, Kevin Doolan has long-term residency and Jye Etheridge has patriality, so none require work permit/visas.

Jake Allen, or indeed any non-EU rider (American, Russian, Aussie, whatever) without that sort of exemption would require work permit.

When the big hoo-ha over speedway clubs abusing permits blew up three years ago, a club had to re-apply for a sponsorship permit if they wanted to continue to employ non-EU, non-exempt, riders.

Some did, some chose not to on the grounds of 'more trouble than it's worth' and cost (it is a fairly expensive, as well as long-drawn-out process) and Berwick were one of those who elected not to.

So no exotic foreigners at this point, l'm afraid.....

• Like 1

Despite feeling bitterly cold ( that wind was a shocker ) it was a good meeting with plenty of passing. Good to have Stefan back. he certainly was a crowd pleaser. shame about his bike problems, even so he scored double figures, MPT slotted into No 1 place with no problems. Well done Tofty! All in all It was a good team effort. Because of the wind we moved to a new viewing place, little did we realize until we got talking we were stood next to Stefs mum. A very nice lady. Nice to have met her ! Thanks Scorps. 3 nice points!

Stefan looks a very good signing and just what Scunthorpe needed, really looking forward to the Sheffield meeting now.

just a few moans...

The inside of the start gate seems to be going up slower than the outside this season.

I don't like 3 o'clock starts, track prep too hard. I know its better for traveling supporters but standing in cloud of dust isn't everyone's cup of tea.

Keep Roger Westby in the refs box where we can hear what he's saying. Maybe try a wind shield for the mic on the centre green.....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Shops/SoundLAB-G122CA-35-mm-Foam-Microphone-Windshield/B000LB11QA

• Like 1

Every other promoter in the league should object if this is attempted.

Like for like or Gappmaier to be on his 6 acheived IMO.

This is the relevant rule:

16.2.7 A SGB Premiership or Championship League r ider will establish an MA after 4 Home and 4 Away fixtures, becoming effective 7 days after the last qualifying Meeting . Should an Established MA not be achieved to be effective from 1 st May, then the MC may issue a revised MA, based upon actual rides if the Team re - declares.

The fact that the word 'may' is in there is NOT meant to suggest that it will be on a management committee whim. The point is that no team should benefit from re-declaring using a mixture of old and new averages. So obviously it would be totally wrong to keep Gappmaier on 4 while moving under-achievers like Bridger and Carr on to new low averages. In my opinion this rule should only be used to raise a rider's average, not lower it on the basis of a small number of matches.

• Like 1

This is the relevant rule:

16.2.7 A SGB Premiership or Championship League r ider will establish an MA after 4 Home and 4 Away fixtures, becoming effective 7 days after the last qualifying Meeting . Should an Established MA not be achieved to be effective from 1 st May, then the MC may issue a revised MA, based upon actual rides if the Team re - declares.

The fact that the word 'may' is in there is NOT meant to suggest that it will be on a management committee whim. The point is that no team should benefit from re-declaring using a mixture of old and new averages. So obviously it would be totally wrong to keep Gappmaier on 4 while moving under-achievers like Bridger and Carr on to new low averages. In my opinion this rule should only be used to raise a rider's average, not lower it on the basis of a small number of matches.

totally agree - the aim should be for the averages to be as accurate a reflection of the true team strength as us possible.

A mix of old and new would not do that.

I think that ANY team that redeclares after May 1st should have ALL the riders awarded new figures in line with meetings/rides to date.

• Like 1